Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 460727 times)

Re: Tarzan.
« Reply #1400 on: 24 February, 2015, 11:07:39 am »
Is Steve not considered fast anymore? Or is it just his current avg speed, that's getting him this reputation. Riding audax on an MTB or fixed does mean that you're unlikely to bother the people at the front end of the audax too much.

At his current average riding speed, he would be towards the front end of the field on most audaxes, so he's not slow by any normal human standards. It's more that he's riding well within what he's capable of, speed-wise. Riding fixed has never slowed him down either - I've been passed by him a few times on audaxes, cruising along at speed, churning a massive gear without any obvious signs of effort.

As others have said, he will up his speed significantly in the summer months - he'll need to when he's putting in the really big mileage days.

and hopefully the foundation of a 'Kurt busting'* mile total buffer, that he can defend to the end.  Will be very interesting.

Go Steve!

* in the nicest possible way.   ;)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #1401 on: 24 February, 2015, 01:17:45 pm »
Looks like an early start today, so maybe the chance to increase his mileage again.

« Reply #1402 on: 24 February, 2015, 01:26:41 pm »
The video he just posted, states he's loving the bent, and may increase its use.

hillbilly

« Reply #1403 on: 24 February, 2015, 02:31:02 pm »
I do wish he wouldn't.  There is something unseemly about relying on a recumbent.  Within the rules, but the spirit is sometimes more important than the letter.  It is the one aspect of Kurt's approach that stops me from singing his praises from the rafters.

« Reply #1404 on: 24 February, 2015, 02:52:21 pm »
I have fond memories of watching a faired bent gently glide to halt and fall over onto the grass, as the pilot had an attack of the dozies. After that I always thought they're too comfortable, but admittedly make a nice place to sleep. Falling asleep at the helm of mid racer wouldn't be such a good idea.

« Reply #1405 on: 24 February, 2015, 05:17:55 pm »
Kurt's been stopped much longer than usual on his tracker. (1.5hrs) There's a "Subway" there but also some road junctions .....
Hope he's just eating.

Leo

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1406 on: 24 February, 2015, 05:43:12 pm »
Falling asleep at the helm of mid racer wouldn't be such a good idea.

Indeed - you might wake up in hospital thinking you're the mayor of a small French village.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1407 on: 24 February, 2015, 06:13:14 pm »
I stumbled across this on the weekend while watching some RAAM stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSftyHctWGA

It gives a bit of insight into who Kurt is and what he's about.  Comments about sleep dep and climbing are quite interesting.  I think he's playing to his strengths at the moment and shouldn't be in a rush to get out of Florida.

As time goes by, I'm coming to the view that I admire both riders equally and can appreciate the strengths of both of their approaches to the HAM'R.

Andy
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

« Reply #1408 on: 24 February, 2015, 06:21:41 pm »
Kurt's been stopped much longer than usual on his tracker. (1.5hrs) There's a "Subway" there but also some road junctions .....
Hope he's just eating.

Leo
2 hours 37 min stopped .... and counting

simonp

« Reply #1409 on: 24 February, 2015, 06:28:38 pm »
Could simply be the tracker has a low battery.

The junction near the last recorded point is "Yeehaw Junction". I don't even.

« Reply #1410 on: 24 February, 2015, 07:14:24 pm »
His tracker's working again

« Reply #1411 on: 24 February, 2015, 07:24:13 pm »

Batteries died.

« Reply #1412 on: 24 February, 2015, 07:35:51 pm »

Batteries died.

Maybe the unit itself... Nothing to worry about, though. Kurt's OK and still rolling along.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1413 on: 24 February, 2015, 07:36:41 pm »

Batteries died.

Poor show.
OK, Steve had some sort of problem this morning, but blat flatteries?  That's not clever at all.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1414 on: 24 February, 2015, 07:37:17 pm »
Phew!

Glad it wasn't anything serious.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

citoyen

« Reply #1415 on: 24 February, 2015, 09:00:44 pm »
The tracker isn't an official requirement of the rules though, is it? The Garmin GPS track uploaded to Strava is the official record, right?

« Reply #1416 on: 24 February, 2015, 09:12:52 pm »
The tracker isn't an official requirement of the rules though, is it? The Garmin GPS track uploaded to Strava is the official record, right?

"Rule 7-
Advance notice of routes will not be required. Riders will be required to have an active live tracking device in operation for all mileage to be credited for the attempt. In addition, riders will have a trip recording device (such as a Garmin) that will record the route taken, speed, elevation/gradient and at least one of heart rate or power. Riders will be responsible for carrying backup batteries to power whatever device/app we decide upon. The devices used will be subject to the approval of the Records Chairman. Ride data will be posted daily within 24 hours of the completion of the ride. Tracking/recording devices shall be tested at least two weeks prior to the start of the attempt to ensure that the Records Chairman will be able to access the data.

Rule 12-
In the case of communication failure where either/both of the live tracker or trip recorder data is unavailable, the rider shall send an explanation (email or text message preferred) as soon as possible to the Records Chairman. The mileage involved shall be considered to be provisional until the Records Chairman can decide on the validity of the explanation. "

citoyen

« Reply #1417 on: 24 February, 2015, 09:29:50 pm »
Ok, I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification.

« Reply #1418 on: 24 February, 2015, 09:55:49 pm »
I stumbled across this on the weekend while watching some RAAM stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSftyHctWGA

It gives a bit of insight into who Kurt is and what he's about.  Comments about sleep dep and climbing are quite interesting.  I think he's playing to his strengths at the moment and shouldn't be in a rush to get out of Florida.

As time goes by, I'm coming to the view that I admire both riders equally and can appreciate the strengths of both of their approaches to the HAM'R.

Yes, indeed, thanks for posting that Andy, well worth looking at.
Kurt the yoga teacher too,and MicroBrewery supporter. Fair play to him.
You can't form an opinion on the basis of a You Tube interview, but on the basis of that You Tube interview, I liked the guy, he came across as a decent bloke. Interviewer Lee Kreider bestows some good old-fashioned warmth too :)
Garry Broad

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1419 on: 24 February, 2015, 11:29:38 pm »
Falling asleep at the helm of mid racer wouldn't be such a good idea.

Indeed - you might wake up in hospital thinking you're the mayor of a small French village.

I believe the canonical response to such a post is this:

GIT!!!!1!!

;) ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1420 on: 25 February, 2015, 07:32:28 am »

Batteries died.

Poor show.
OK, Steve had some sort of problem this morning, but blat flatteries?  That's not clever at all.

Frost must have got to them.  ;D

« Reply #1421 on: 25 February, 2015, 09:30:24 am »

Batteries died.

Poor show.

Frost must have got to them.  ;D

Perhaps he should go back to starting in Frost Proof.

« Reply #1422 on: 25 February, 2015, 02:31:47 pm »
It's half past two, and no sign of Kurt on the tracker. Is he still having problems with live updates?

« Reply #1423 on: 25 February, 2015, 03:11:44 pm »
The tracker's started now, but only recorded 24.1ft. (In fact I thought it was -24.1ft until I realized my screen needed cleaning).

« Reply #1424 on: 25 February, 2015, 05:46:37 pm »
I'm looking forward to Tarzan breaking out of Florida. Looking at the Clarion-Ledger article reminded me of the songs about Jackson, there's the Johnny and June Cash 'Jackson', covered by Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazelwood, of course, the recent Bruno Mars/Mark Ronson hit. 'Uptown Funk' features it too. http://www.clarionledger.com/story/thebuzz/2014/11/13/bruno-mars-jackson-song/18961931/

There's a host of songs that are going to come to mind if he picks the right route.