Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 460774 times)

Re: Tarzan.
« Reply #1475 on: 28 February, 2015, 04:51:43 pm »
Steve is participating in daily cycling private excursions.

His endeavour is called 'One Year Time Trial' for publicity purposes and is granted 'Poetic licence' as the timescale involved is far beyond any officially organised Cycle Time Trial.

He is accumulating distance to improve on the distance set by a cyclist in 1939, before the Cycle Racing on the Highways Regulations  came into force.

« Reply #1476 on: 28 February, 2015, 10:32:01 pm »
Edit: OK, Kurt's turned out 6 x 200 miles+ rides in the last 7 days. However, considering average mileage on day 49 he's only doing 14.5 miles/day more than Steve. On day 33 the difference was 16 miles/day - so in 16 days Steve has pulled back 1.5 miles a day - so 154 days from now  they'll both be churning out the same daily mileage and then Steve will start to do more miles in a day than Kurt.

But it doesn't work like that does it?
I think it might. Steve is looking stronger now   he did one week in.. Tarzan is looking a bit worn
<i>Marmite slave</i>

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #1477 on: 28 February, 2015, 11:23:18 pm »
Edit: OK, Kurt's turned out 6 x 200 miles+ rides in the last 7 days. However, considering average mileage on day 49 he's only doing 14.5 miles/day more than Steve. On day 33 the difference was 16 miles/day - so in 16 days Steve has pulled back 1.5 miles a day - so 154 days from now  they'll both be churning out the same daily mileage and then Steve will start to do more miles in a day than Kurt.

But it doesn't work like that does it?
I think it might. Steve is looking stronger now   he did one week in.. Tarzan is looking a bit worn

I have a 'gut' feeling that Steve will do it, but there's still a long time to go.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1478 on: 01 March, 2015, 07:53:03 am »
PLEASE, STOP NOW.

::-)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1479 on: 01 March, 2015, 08:05:34 am »
Sorry mate, I think he's determined to do another 300 or so days

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #1480 on: 01 March, 2015, 08:14:34 am »
Sorry mate, I think he's determined to do another 300 or so days

;D

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1481 on: 01 March, 2015, 08:22:15 am »
300 days, eh? That should give us plenty of time to determine once and for all whether or not this is a time trial.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

LMT

« Reply #1482 on: 01 March, 2015, 08:26:10 am »
What's the website URL for Steves website called again?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1483 on: 01 March, 2015, 08:33:42 am »
300 days, eh? That should give us plenty of time to determine once and for all whether or not this is a time trial.
No chance.

We're currently averaging
One Tedious Discussion per Month,
and neither of them produced any agreement.

I'm off out on my bike ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1484 on: 01 March, 2015, 08:37:37 am »
What's the website URL for Steves website called again?

One Year Time Troll
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1485 on: 01 March, 2015, 11:38:05 am »
And back on topic, Kurt is finishing off 6 packs ( of doughnuts)  , liking his recumbent and still going great guns.

But of course : GO Steve

« Reply #1486 on: 01 March, 2015, 02:10:20 pm »
Perhaps a mod might excise these sorts of diversions into their own threads.

It's funny what people choose to run with from posts. My main point was that there are two main ways of looking at the event.

What interests me most is the meeting of two cultures in supporting the riders. One culture is that of sporting success, they've seen British Cycling pick up medal after medal, Wiggo and Froome win the Tour, and they like scent of victory. Which is fine, that's what sport is about.

For dyed-in-the-wool cyclists it's a bit different. For me, the two high-points of recent years were Wiggo's joke about the raffle on the Tour podium, and the handshake at the end of the Olympic TT with Tony Martin and he and Wiggo sat on the tarmac, leaning on the crowd barriers, recovering.

The film that best illustrates this point is of the 2008 Mersey Roads 24. Steve is in it of course, and lots of members of this forum. I'm in it, handing up sponges, and Kurt's RAAM partner, Joel Sothern, features at the end.

For me, Kurt isn't 'foreign' as he's part of my culture.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #1487 on: 02 March, 2015, 12:44:07 pm »
Tarzan has been moaning about Strava on the Ultracycling page on fb:

We have had a problem with strava not report the right miles for HAMR. This isn't the first problem with strava and I don't have the time to mess with strava to make it right.

I have the following questions - why are we loading data strava? Is Strava sponsoring this event? Is Strava paying for the data? I don't see in the rules that we must use strava so can it be eliminated?

If the UMCA wants to continue to use strava - then I suggest the following 1. Strava sign on as a sponsor.
 2. Strava provide a email that can be contacted to fix the data as needed.
 3. Strava pay each rider for the data the provided. Since it creates web traffic for them.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #1488 on: 02 March, 2015, 12:45:44 pm »
Don't yew go trash talkin' now y'hear.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #1489 on: 02 March, 2015, 12:59:34 pm »

We have had a problem with strava not report the right miles for HAMR. This isn't the first problem with strava and I don't have the time to mess with strava to make it right.

I have the following questions - why are we loading data strava? Is Strava sponsoring this event? Is Strava paying for the data? I don't see in the rules that we must use strava so can it be eliminated?

If the UMCA wants to continue to use strava - then I suggest the following 1. Strava sign on as a sponsor.
 2. Strava provide a email that can be contacted to fix the data as needed.
 3. Strava pay each rider for the data the provided. Since it creates web traffic for them.

Me thinks Tarzan has a point. The challenge is indeed driving a huge amount of traffic to Strava. Maybe they should sign on as a joint sponsor and provide dedicated help to the challengers.

« Reply #1490 on: 02 March, 2015, 01:21:35 pm »
For the way it's panning out - I can't see anything much better than Strava, especially for Steve/his 'followers' & sponsors.  I don't know if Strava sponsors cyclists, but I can see them thinking 'if you have something more appropriate in mind, please use that'...  Sounds like Kurt is having 'auto-upload' issues?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #1491 on: 02 March, 2015, 01:31:11 pm »
IMO Kurt needs to focus on what is important and not try to change the rules wherever he encounters difficulties.   

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1493 on: 02 March, 2015, 02:02:15 pm »

Kurt can whine as much as he likes but he should man up and make the time needed to sort out his problems properly, otherwise protests and penalties for infringements could result.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #1494 on: 02 March, 2015, 02:47:02 pm »

I have the following questions - why are we loading data strava? Is Strava sponsoring this event? Is Strava paying for the data?
I saw a comment grumbling about Strava - it seemed to be mainly that his GPS reported more miles than Strava.

Can some experienced person tell me if this is a 'real' problem (that is, is Strava uploading incorrect mileage)?

<i>Marmite slave</i>

paul851

« Reply #1495 on: 02 March, 2015, 03:50:32 pm »
The garmin file looks like a ride time of about 9 ,hrs 12min so if he's trying to claim that the higher mileage is valid at an average of 23.5 mph for the day then good luck with that.

If you go to the Garmin trace, change the graph from 'Over Time' to 'Over Distance' then hover along the elevation trace it ends up at 178 miles at the end of the ride.  Basically the Garmin headline figure is just wrong.

Yes looks like a Garmin Connect problem.

Anyone got a Facebook account to post a message on

https://www.facebook.com/tarzanrides

to tell him he's messed up and not to try and claim the extra miles. Also remind him that he still hasn't edited out the 10km vehicle transfer from his ride on Jan 26th

This was posted in the Feb 28th thread and seems to imply that Garmin connect is showing more miles in the ride title than shown on the track , intrestingly Douglas Hoffman who appears to be the UMCA executive Director says that the UMCA never requested the use of Strava and that it's not required  ???

simonp

« Reply #1496 on: 02 March, 2015, 03:59:55 pm »
Garmin Edge devices use strange formats where the speed and distance data are recorded in additional fields. If they haven't reset or been reset correctly you can have discrepancies. If the track shows X and the claimed distance shows Y then you have to take the track. It's not a problem with Strava but with a buggy GPS IMO. If he doesn't have a backup GPS then he should sort one out.

« Reply #1497 on: 02 March, 2015, 04:05:44 pm »
I use Strava for recording rides and runs.   I have had it malfunction once in three months and I am not convinced that this was not a case of numpty user error.   Nothing is perfect, not even me!!! 

AIUI, Stever uses more than one device so as to eliminate risk of electron fart from time to time.   Sensible strategy IMO commensurate with good planning for such an event.   

Perhaps Kurt should sit in his camper van whilst speeding down the road, bemoan his lot and sink a beer or three before getting back on the bike and riding a bit more.   :D   

« Reply #1498 on: 02 March, 2015, 04:08:00 pm »
IMO Kurt needs to focus on what is important and not try to change the rules wherever he encounters difficulties.

+1
he`s had alcohol rule changed as he slipped up, he`s got `bents allowed, he appears to have left tracker on during transfers---in the long run if he comes out with most miles all these `infringements` will devalue his record. As was stated a while back both he and Steve saw the rules and signed up to them, end of.
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

red marley

« Reply #1499 on: 02 March, 2015, 04:37:32 pm »
If it is the disputed distance for 28th Feb (Strava: 178.2; Garmin Connect: 215.8 miles) that has prompted this complaint, I can't see how this is a Strava problem. As far as I can see, the track is the same on both but it is simply the summary figure reported on Garmin Connect that is in error. The Strava data are the more reliable in this case. Unless there is some addition to the route that is not mapped on either service, in which case that sounds like a GPS/operator error, not one from Strava.

The point about Strava benefiting from the OYTT/HAMR publicity is undoubtedly true, but not a reason to change the rules part way through the event.

Talking of Strava, I see that Steve is down as winning the February MTS, 48.5km ahead of Kurt. Kurt's actual distance exceeded Steve in Feb (Kurt= 9139km; Steve = 8626km), but if I recall Kurt didn't join the MTS until part way though the month, so perhaps that's the reason. As a competitive rider, he may be kicking himself now for not joining earlier.