Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 460859 times)

Re: Tarzan.
« Reply #1525 on: 02 March, 2015, 11:42:47 pm »
If it is the disputed distance for 28th Feb (Strava: 178.2; Garmin Connect: 215.8 miles) that has prompted this complaint, I can't see how this is a Strava problem.
That is a very big difference.

Is Kurt uploading the miles from his strava record and can we tell? 'scuse me I really know very little about strava.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1526 on: 03 March, 2015, 12:18:06 am »
Old Lanterne Rouge Audax proverb doth say: There's a peace that comes from a life much too slow for Strava to be remotely interested in  :)
Garry Broad

hillbilly

« Reply #1527 on: 03 March, 2015, 05:45:55 am »
Lanterne Rouge, he say "who ate all the sandwiches?"

Another solid day from Kurt. He does seem to have a short term goal of tracking Tommy Godwin's year long average.  Rather than aping Steve's rides, as was the supposition of some earlier this year.

« Reply #1528 on: 03 March, 2015, 07:15:44 am »
I still think there is a degree of mirroring when you look at distance covered by day of cycling

This is up to the end of Feb. Yes he does seem to be aiming for Tommy's average but there is still responsiveness to what Steve does IMHO.

hillbilly

« Reply #1529 on: 03 March, 2015, 03:32:50 pm »
Bored at work.  My job means I have an affinity with statistics and hypothesis testing.

The daily correlation between Kurt's rides and Steve's is between 0 and 0.2, depending on the number of days you offset, so only weakly mirroring each other (a 1 means absolutely mirroring, -1 means doing the opposite, 0 means basically no link).

If I look at whether the ride was more or less than the day before, (so stripping out the overall change in distance) the correlation is around about the same.

So I think the current verdict of Mathematics is "Case not proven".

There are more sophisticated mathematical tests but I am not that bored.  Yet. (and also I can't remember where I've filed my actuarial exam notes about what the more sophisticated tests are!)

« Reply #1530 on: 03 March, 2015, 04:09:24 pm »
There do seem to be days when he's followed / "beaten" steve's daily totals, but he doesnt need to. Tarzan's been regularly doing more than steve since the start.   It might become more obvious in future if Steve increases his mileage.

The weather here's taken a nosedive in the last couple of weeks, and as we were talking about it at home, my wife and i both said we can well remember snow on our boys birthdays, more than once. Theyre in May. 

« Reply #1531 on: 03 March, 2015, 04:21:51 pm »
<SNIP>My job means I have an affinity with statistics and hypothesis testing.<SNIP>

(TFFIC in the following....)
I'd be interested in the correlation between a proclivity for regularly riding long distances on a bike and occupations such as actuary, statistician, mathematician, 'data scientist' and similar. I'd hypothesise that it's 'quite high' and at least 'higher than the overall population norm'.

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #1532 on: 03 March, 2015, 04:47:44 pm »
I doubt there's much of a correlation.  I reckon there are just as many of the non-measurers riding a long way; the difference is that they don't realise they're doing it.
And they don't spend time analysing it, either for their own amusement or the 'benefit' of others  ;)

« Reply #1533 on: 03 March, 2015, 06:41:54 pm »
Bored at work.  My job means I have an affinity with statistics and hypothesis testing.

The daily correlation between Kurt's rides and Steve's is between 0 and 0.2, depending on the number of days you offset, so only weakly mirroring each other (a 1 means absolutely mirroring, -1 means doing the opposite, 0 means basically no link).

If I look at whether the ride was more or less than the day before, (so stripping out the overall change in distance) the correlation is around about the same.

So I think the current verdict of Mathematics is "Case not proven".

There are more sophisticated mathematical tests but I am not that bored.  Yet. (and also I can't remember where I've filed my actuarial exam notes about what the more sophisticated tests are!)

Fair enough. I hadn't done any stats analysis on it myself. It will be interesting to see if this changes over time as more data becomes available.

« Reply #1534 on: 03 March, 2015, 09:19:14 pm »
<SNIP>My job means I have an affinity with statistics and hypothesis testing.<SNIP>

(TFFIC in the following....)
I'd be interested in the correlation between a proclivity for regularly riding long distances on a bike and occupations such as actuary, statistician, mathematician, 'data scientist' and similar. I'd hypothesise that it's 'quite high' and at least 'higher than the overall population norm'.

Hm, I'd be one of the cases against this. Did one SPSS course once, hated it and never bothered with statistics since that first year at uni course.

« Reply #1535 on: 04 March, 2015, 12:07:01 am »
I've "used" - or at least tried to help others to use - SPSS a couple of times. The 15ish year gap between the two was, IMO, insufficient.

On the other hand, if you widen the set from mathmo spods to include those of a pedantic disposition ...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1536 on: 04 March, 2015, 12:18:39 am »
Hm, I'd be one of the cases against this. Did one SPSS course once, hated it and never bothered with statistics since that first year at uni course.

I found myself in the unlikely situation where the first year statistics course was my favourite module, and promptly changed degree...   ;D

« Reply #1537 on: 04 March, 2015, 07:50:31 am »

I found myself in the unlikely situation where the first year statistics course was my favourite module, and promptly changed degree...   ;D

I do remember a similar case in my course ;).

« Reply #1538 on: 04 March, 2015, 09:01:42 am »
"Lies, damned lies and,,,,,,  "

hillbilly

« Reply #1539 on: 04 March, 2015, 10:00:30 am »
...mathematically illiterate populations?

« Reply #1540 on: 04 March, 2015, 10:02:38 am »

Got any statistics for that?

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #1541 on: 04 March, 2015, 11:56:26 am »

Pah! 71.2% of all statistics are made up.

« Reply #1542 on: 04 March, 2015, 12:03:05 pm »
I always thought that 95% of statistics are derived from statistically insignificant data and the other 10% are made up by sales droids.

« Reply #1543 on: 04 March, 2015, 12:06:47 pm »
I thought statistick was stationary glue.

Chris S

« Reply #1544 on: 04 March, 2015, 12:13:57 pm »
I thought statistick was stationary glue.

As opposed to a moving glue?  ;)

« Reply #1545 on: 04 March, 2015, 12:22:12 pm »
"Lies, damned lies and,,,,,,  "

...the internet?

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1546 on: 04 March, 2015, 12:28:59 pm »
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln
Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1547 on: 04 March, 2015, 12:48:26 pm »

Maybe ... but what about the other half, eh?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1548 on: 04 March, 2015, 01:01:29 pm »

Maybe ... but what about the other half, eh?

Statistically, there is a 50% chance that this is incorrect!

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #1549 on: 04 March, 2015, 01:05:25 pm »
Skinner: "Half the Tory Members opposite are crooks"
Speaker: "The honourable member MUST withdraw that remark"
Skinner: "OK, half the Tories are not crooks"