Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 460808 times)

Re: Tarzan.
« Reply #1825 on: 12 March, 2015, 08:48:52 pm »
If this place seems biased towards Steve, then why wouldn't it? This is his home turf, we are his virtual family. The fact we are also able to embrace Kurt into the fold of someone worthy to follow is not just a sign of how good Kurt is, but how 'nice' we are  ;D

« Reply #1826 on: 12 March, 2015, 08:49:52 pm »
I actually feel for Kurt. Steve has a great support network, is riding on his own turf where he has phenomenal knowledge of the roads he can choose to ride to get the most benefit with regards to weather etc. Whereas poor Kurt is camping in a van, trapesing all over the place and having to mend his own bikes. I also feel for Alicia, after all it's her that has to shoulder the ups and downs of the challenge.

That said, they each knew what they were signing up for, I suppose.

« Reply #1827 on: 12 March, 2015, 09:28:55 pm »
That said, they each knew what they were signing up for, I suppose.

Thing is, I've never bought into the unfairness of the differing approaches and always thought that both of them are adapting to their environment the best they can.

Look at this another way - you are a single bloke, not a lot of dough, living in a one bedroom flat, manual worker, you've donated all the money you have to the cause and you want to base your challenge around your home - where in the United States would you most like that flat to be situated? So you're transporting TG to the USA. Where would you ideally put him for everything to work out just right?
I'm still struggling to come up with an ideal location. And when you do, look at who else might able to support you nearby. So replicate everything. And you realize.....yeah we have a very different set of conditions here.

The more you ponder that question, the more you come to the conclusion that doing the HAMR out of the back of a van is not only a quick prep solution, but something that makes an awful lot of sense in the United States. The scale and the scope of the place is just a totally different ball game. Advantageous in one sense and the opposite in another.

Terrain and country are huge factors in all this. I really think.
Garry Broad

« Reply #1828 on: 12 March, 2015, 09:33:30 pm »
What's up with Kurt today?  Am I misreading this http://trackleaders.com/oneyeartimetrial15i.php?name=Kurt_Tarzan_Searvogel or does he have two sections where it looks like he's paused and restarted the spot tracker? 
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1829 on: 12 March, 2015, 09:35:42 pm »
What's up with Kurt today?  Am I misreading this http://trackleaders.com/oneyeartimetrial15i.php?name=Kurt_Tarzan_Searvogel or does he have two sections where it looks like he's paused and restarted the spot tracker?

Goodness knows what's going on...but the fact that he's looping all over the show would suggest that all bets are off until Strava reveals all.
Garry Broad

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1830 on: 12 March, 2015, 10:21:18 pm »
This is bloody ridiculous. There's still more than 9 months to go of this and I'm refreshing the screen every few minutes. Tarzan is 6 hours behind us so there's a good chance he'll still be riding at 2am our time. If he travels further west YACFers will be falling asleep at their desks.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1831 on: 12 March, 2015, 10:25:29 pm »
This is bloody ridiculous. There's still more than 9 months to go of this and I'm refreshing the screen every few minutes.

Why the hell are you waiting that long?
No wonder you're not up with events!
 :D
Garry Broad

« Reply #1832 on: 12 March, 2015, 10:28:49 pm »
This is bloody ridiculous. There's still more than 9 months to go of this and I'm refreshing the screen every few minutes.

I have a browser tab for Steve's tracker and another for Kurt's set to refresh themselves every 3 minutes, 24 hours a day. That way, there's no delay in seeing where either of them has got to at any point :-) This is alarmingly obsession-creating stuff!

« Reply #1833 on: 12 March, 2015, 10:42:07 pm »

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1834 on: 12 March, 2015, 11:46:59 pm »
Has the tracker gone into meltdown today or is Tarzan really pootling around Little Rock at 9 mph ???
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1835 on: 12 March, 2015, 11:50:12 pm »
I think he's cheating. He's got Wowbagger to ride his bike today while he takes a rest day.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1836 on: 13 March, 2015, 12:04:53 am »
Steve has a great support network,
(click to show/hide)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #1837 on: 13 March, 2015, 12:59:01 am »

I have a browser tab for Steve's tracker and another for Kurt's set to refresh themselves every 3 minutes, 24 hours a day. That way, there's no delay in seeing where either of them has got to at any point :-) This is alarmingly obsession-creating stuff!

I think many of us are getting just a little OCD about this!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1838 on: 13 March, 2015, 02:08:06 am »
It's bladder o'clock UK time and Tarzan's tracker is still active.  :o

« Reply #1839 on: 13 March, 2015, 02:28:32 am »
Shhhh, there lies the advantage. Unless Tarzan sacrifices a day to fly to Holland for a 24-hour cycle marathon on December 31st, then Steve will set a record even if it only stands for a few hours. Viva la time difference.

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #1840 on: 13 March, 2015, 02:52:03 am »
170 miles for the day!
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1841 on: 13 March, 2015, 05:36:53 am »
Thanks to Arkansas Cycling and Fitness for getting my Giant back to top condition - I just need to add a snorkle and I'll be set.

I assume Tarzan is talking about his bike. :P

170 miles in the pissing rain sounds like no fun at all.

« Reply #1842 on: 13 March, 2015, 07:31:43 am »
Steve has a great support network,
(click to show/hide)

Oooh lovely,  two Scott Squirrels and a BSA flat-tanker sidecar outfit in the background, which dates that machine to no later than 1928. Can anybody identify the third solo for us?

Some google and wonkypedia background:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Flying_Squirrel
http://www.yesterdays.nl/bsa-1928-s28-500-cc-1-cyl-sv-p-615.html
They laughed when I said I was going to be a stand-up comedian. They're not laughing now.

« Reply #1843 on: 13 March, 2015, 08:12:06 am »
Humber 350 ??

If it is, its spookily appropriate for Steve's ride yesterday  :o

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #1844 on: 13 March, 2015, 08:18:22 am »
I saw the (on BbokFace) clip of him riding in the pissing rain  :facepalm:

It's bad enough to have a crap day or even a weekend of foul weather but facing a week or so of shit weather at those milages must be a whole new can of pain.

Hats off once again to Kurt an Steve on that.

H

« Reply #1845 on: 13 March, 2015, 08:28:02 am »
I saw the (on BbokFace) clip of him riding in the pissing rain  :facepalm:

It's bad enough to have a crap day or even a weekend of foul weather but facing a week or so of shit weather at those milages must be a whole new can of pain.
He doesn't have a single bike with 'fenders'. Heavy gritty spray into your face every day for a couple of hundred miles would be absolutely miserable.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1846 on: 13 March, 2015, 09:14:54 am »
As they say over there,,,

"Liquid sunshine".

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1847 on: 13 March, 2015, 09:20:10 am »

"Liquid sunshine".

I thought red wine was liquid sunshine.

« Reply #1848 on: 13 March, 2015, 09:29:57 am »

"Liquid sunshine".

I thought red wine was liquid sunshine.

Illegally distilled white rum.
False suntan out of a bottle. ( Spray tan )
Warm Caribbean rain.

« Reply #1849 on: 13 March, 2015, 09:49:36 am »
He doesn't have a single bike with 'fenders'. Heavy gritty spray into your face every day for a couple of hundred miles would be absolutely miserable.

Not just in your face: getting a wet arse is a huge saddle sore risk!
He might be better off using the recumbent when it rains.