Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 460843 times)

Re: Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)
« Reply #1900 on: 14 March, 2015, 09:57:47 am »
Aye, that's a bit weird. Hopefully it's just an early night and he'll upload it in the morning.

« Reply #1901 on: 14 March, 2015, 11:32:18 am »
93.5 km up on Strava.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1902 on: 14 March, 2015, 11:53:45 am »
Blimey!  I hope there's another upload to come, else the SCIENCE somewhere is seriously munted :o
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

KieronY

• N007
« Reply #1903 on: 14 March, 2015, 12:07:49 pm »
Blimey!  I hope there's another upload to come, else the SCIENCE somewhere is seriously munted :o

From his FB page:

"Sorry not to share yesterdays rides - You can tell I did 3 seperated sessions yesterday - The first 2 sessions were in the rain and came to around 43.5 miles. The last session was after it stopped raining and was 57.8 miles - I did at least ride 100 - hope to do better today - the garmin file for 43.5 miles that will not load has been sent to UMCA to see if they can find the problem or use spot to get the miles. Spot might not give me as many miles since the first ride had an out and back component as did the 2nd. Would have rode much more in the evening but the light setup we were trying had problem. - Oh well back on the road today."

TGS

« Reply #1904 on: 14 March, 2015, 12:13:42 pm »
Hence why Steve carries 3 GPS units! Any of Kurt's ambassadors on here should suggest to him that he has at least one spare.

I hope it gets sorted out.

I wonder what it is like going home after 2 months in Florida. It reminds me of tales I've heard of people packing a 600 after 500k because it went past their front door. I would imagine that this is Kurt's first major mental hurdle. Anyway, best of luck to them both.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1905 on: 14 March, 2015, 01:23:23 pm »
That explains a lot. Come on Tarzan!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1906 on: 14 March, 2015, 02:30:10 pm »
He doesn't appear to have started today?

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #1907 on: 14 March, 2015, 02:32:02 pm »
He has now!

« Reply #1908 on: 14 March, 2015, 02:45:16 pm »
On my Garmin(s) I'm sure the thing auto sets wheel diameter from the GPS data, and not having the sensor attached doesn't affect the distance traveled, just the maximum speed.

Here's a screen shot of how Steve's GPS handled his path through a roundabout. Without a speed sensor he would have been shorted a small distance as he traveled through it. This is why Garmin's ignore the satellite data for distance and speed when a speed sensor is installed.

http://postimg.org/image/6z7p3jk1p/

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #1909 on: 14 March, 2015, 03:38:24 pm »
It reminds me of tales I've heard of people packing a 600 after 500k because it went past their front door. I would imagine that this is Kurt's first major mental hurdle. Anyway, best of luck to them both.

The same thought had occurred to me. Hopefully wrong

« Reply #1910 on: 14 March, 2015, 04:02:36 pm »
I wonder when Kurt will decide to cross the water and ride around England where it's flatter.

(England, AR that is, 50 miles from home)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1911 on: 14 March, 2015, 04:31:11 pm »
It reminds me of tales I've heard of people packing a 600 after 500k because it went past their front door. I would imagine that this is Kurt's first major mental hurdle. Anyway, best of luck to them both.

The same thought had occurred to me. Hopefully wrong

He's started from Sheridan today, which Strava says is Tarzan Central...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1912 on: 14 March, 2015, 05:02:12 pm »
I used to teach a child named Sheridan Dawes, which now seems to have acquired an even greater cycling association than it did before.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1913 on: 14 March, 2015, 05:14:16 pm »
58 km in 2.75 hours is a bit off his usual pace ???

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #1914 on: 14 March, 2015, 05:41:15 pm »
I wonder what it is like going home after 2 months in Florida. It reminds me of tales I've heard of people packing a 600 after 500k because it went past their front door. I would imagine that this is Kurt's first major mental hurdle. Anyway, best of luck to them both.

It can't be easy, and must be compounded by problems with gear and poor weather (although some may think it's not that poor).  He also seems to have been pre-occupied with some 'housekeeping' in both Little Rock and Sheridan.  Let's hope he can regain his rhythm and get back into a regular schedule.

Meanwhile Steve is banging out some big ones.

Go Steve!

« Reply #1915 on: 14 March, 2015, 09:44:12 pm »
109 miles on the tracker, so it doesn't look as though he's slowing down much.

Re: Tarzan.
« Reply #1916 on: 14 March, 2015, 10:01:50 pm »
With so many miles being ridden, there is little time for much else. Without it, I don't think anybody would have a cat in hells chance to be honest.

When accounting for the lack of preparation, inferior equipment, lack of lodging, age, home turf knowledge, and 50 person support team one has to marvel at the fact that the two person Tarzan team isn't farther behind than they are.
The reason is obvious to some of us though.

I'm (genuinely) not sure what you're getting at with your last sentence, but otherwise I tend to agree. Steve is the one with a bike sponsor, tyre sponsor, a bike shop to fettle his bikes, and loads of people to wave him in the direction of a made bed. Plus, he doesn't have to tip out the chemical toilet every night.

I think the difference is partly in perception - as someone pointed out up thread, Kurt does cultivate the image of the elite racer. And TG is just himself, a bloke riding a bike a long way.

The differences are vast - big country with miles and miles of buggerall (i.e. no bike shops or mates to fall back on) vs a little country with gnarly geography (little chance to take advantage of tailwinds without encountering hills or the sea), differences in climate and background, even differences in publicity, with Kurt's lovely little videos vs the occasional postings on here from TG. I've said before, it's a more interesting spectator event for having Kurt involved.

I wish them both well - only Steve a little bit more.

« Reply #1917 on: 14 March, 2015, 11:04:30 pm »
Kurt has dedicated support every day, during the day and before and after every day. Steve's support is certainly not on a daily basis. GO Steve.

hillbilly

« Reply #1918 on: 15 March, 2015, 07:29:55 am »
The impression I get at the moment is that Kurt is juggling some real life stuff, and naturally it is eating in to the time he has for cycling and the focus he can give to it.  I had a sense that Steve had some advantage in being able to commit all his time and effort to this endeavour; the last couple of days suggests it is more than I thought.

« Reply #1919 on: 15 March, 2015, 07:31:30 am »
Kurts tracker is currently showing 14k miles in just over 50 minutes ..... Hurricane season?

hillbilly

« Reply #1920 on: 15 March, 2015, 07:33:07 am »
Kurt has dedicated support every day, during the day and before and after every day. Steve's support is certainly not on a daily basis. GO Steve.

If this is true, I was mistakenly under the impression that Steve has a helper (Swisshat etc) stay over at home every day.  I wasn't aware he had a lot of days where he has to make his own supper and sort out his bikes for the next day.  Assuming that the case, it makes his recent mileage all the more impressive.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1921 on: 15 March, 2015, 08:15:12 am »
The days when Steve has help are marked om his calendar. I think other people do all his shopping and I suspect they might well do all his washing up as well, But there have been 4 times this month when there has been no-one to help him when he gets in. The home helps' stints seem to be typically 6.30pm to 9.30pm.

« Reply #1922 on: 15 March, 2015, 08:34:10 am »
Hope Kurt can get back into his rhythm, and this isn't the beginning of the end for his attempt

Go kurt
Go Steve (just a tiny bit more)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1923 on: 15 March, 2015, 08:41:27 am »
Kurt does seem to have a lot of support, and a strategy of skipping from venue to venue. He also has a far wider choice of terrain and weather systems than Steve has. I wouldn't be surprised if a private jet whisked him off to California overnight.

Steve has to start from wherever he finished, with whatever support his friends can manage, and is subject to whatever the Atlantic cares to throw at him.

The playing field isn't exactly level.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hillbilly

« Reply #1924 on: 15 March, 2015, 08:52:50 am »
He has a van with one overstretched helper, who seems to cock it up from time to time.  It's hardly Team Sky.