Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 460762 times)

macnark

• Cake and Tea solves all.
Re: Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)
« Reply #2075 on: 24 March, 2015, 07:42:29 pm »
A bit concerned at the length of his stop - no movement for 1hr 25mins so far at 96.75 miles.
Hope its just a flatbat on the spot tracker.  ???

Edited: AOK now - 17 miles jump with no updates. :-)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2076 on: 25 March, 2015, 03:47:21 pm »
Tarzan's tracker displaying some oddness today - looks like it fired up accidentally late last night and then scarcely moved as the ACH SCIENCE has him averaging 6.9 km/h in small circles near Bay St Louis MS.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2077 on: 25 March, 2015, 04:02:18 pm »
Can his body keep taking this damage for a year? He always seems to be doing more than Steve, but he's suffering injuries. I hope he is going to be okay, but I really would like to see jo's chart start to show a narrower gap between TG and Tarzan. 235 miles! I managed the Old 240, 400km event, in 23hrs. I can't imaging studying out 220-240 mile days back to back to back to back...

Kurt and Steve are doing epic rides and I couldn't get anywhere near them.  However, I, too, have done the Old 240, a few times.  I certainly couldn't string back to back rides of that nature together but I wonder if the total climbing of either Kurt or Steve throughout the year would equate to once around the Old 240.  I suspect not (and why would it?).  The Old 240 is a bit special.  But if anyone could string them together, vit would be these two competitors!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2078 on: 25 March, 2015, 04:09:20 pm »
Tarzan's tracker displaying some oddness today - looks like it fired up accidentally late last night and then scarcely moved as the ACH SCIENCE has him averaging 6.9 km/h in small circles near Bay St Louis MS.

M Le Maire, what is the URL for ACH webby science for Tarzan?  I have Steve's one, but I can't see a link on the ACH page to the Lord Greystoke.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #2079 on: 25 March, 2015, 04:15:01 pm »

M Le Maire, what is the URL for ACH webby science for Tarzan?  I have Steve's one, but I can't see a link on the ACH page to the Lord Greystoke.

http://audaxclubhackney.co.uk/tarzan.html
9 miles SW of Marsh Gibbon

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2080 on: 25 March, 2015, 04:22:23 pm »

http://audaxclubhackney.co.uk/tarzan.html

Bookmarked. Ta.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #2081 on: 26 March, 2015, 08:36:04 am »
...but I wonder if the total climbing of either Kurt or Steve throughout the year would equate to once around the Old 240.
Do you mean that as it reads?  Old 240 if I've got the right one on AUK is 6400m.  Tuesdays total for Steve was 133086m climbed and for Kurt 55088m from their Strava TYD totals so more than 20x and 8x respectively.

Did perhaps you mean will either do an Old 240 equivalent in any one day or 27 hour period in the year?  It would only happen when they take part in an event such as the PTP or RAAM, if it happened on a 'normal' day their route planner should be shot!
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #2082 on: 26 March, 2015, 09:13:59 am »
All four riders, William and Miles included, will be aiming to ride at the lowest power output necessary to cover the distance. All four will have assessed their individual maximum effective and efficient speed on the flat; and hills do not enter in the planning.

« Reply #2083 on: 26 March, 2015, 09:50:33 am »
The Wiki entry on the Natchez Trace Parkway is interesting.

The gentle sloping and curving alignment of the current route closely follows the original foot passage. Its design harkens back to the way the original interweaving trails aligned as an ancient salt-lick-to-grazing-pasture migratory route of the American Bison and other game that moved between grazing the pastures of central and western Mississippi and the salt and other mineral surface deposits of the Cumberland Plateau. The route generally traverses the tops of the low hills and ridges of the watershed divides from northeast to southwest.

Native Americans, following the "traces" of bison and other game, further improved this "walking trail" for foot-borne commerce between major villages located in middle Mississippi and central Tennessee. The route is locally circuitous; however, by traversing this route the bison, and later humans, avoided the endless, energy-taxing climbing and descending of the many hills along the way. Also avoided was the danger to a herd (or groups of human travelers) of being caught en-masse at the bottom of a hollow or valley if attacked by predators. The nature of the route, to this day, affords good all-around visibility for those who travel it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natchez_Trace_Parkway

The riders' routes are essentially 'paths of least resistance'. It would be interesting to chart them against ancient trackways.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #2084 on: 26 March, 2015, 11:18:20 am »
and hills do not enter in the planning.
They surely do for the purpose of avoiding them.  Even Kurt who can use his battle bus to get over lumpy bits would be detrimentally affected if he didn't avoid hills due to the load-up & unload time.

I don't really understand what Peter was getting at and was trying to clarify.  They're already so massively and easily found to be over 6400m climbed.  Looked at another way if someone was looking to cover 76K miles and not go over 6400m climbed they'd need roads with gradient of less than 16 millimetres per kilometre
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #2085 on: 26 March, 2015, 11:45:15 am »
Every time I see videos of Kurt on a normal bike he always has a rucksack - I've assumed it's some hydrated cab powder, does anyone know?
37.9 miles from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #2086 on: 26 March, 2015, 11:51:55 am »
The Wiki entry on the Natchez Trace Parkway is interesting.

The gentle sloping and curving alignment of the current route closely follows the original foot passage. Its design harkens back to the way the original interweaving trails aligned as an ancient salt-lick-to-grazing-pasture migratory route of the American Bison and other game that moved between grazing the pastures of central and western Mississippi and the salt and other mineral surface deposits of the Cumberland Plateau. The route generally traverses the tops of the low hills and ridges of the watershed divides from northeast to southwest.

Native Americans, following the "traces" of bison and other game, further improved this "walking trail" for foot-borne commerce between major villages located in middle Mississippi and central Tennessee. The route is locally circuitous; however, by traversing this route the bison, and later humans, avoided the endless, energy-taxing climbing and descending of the many hills along the way. Also avoided was the danger to a herd (or groups of human travelers) of being caught en-masse at the bottom of a hollow or valley if attacked by predators. The nature of the route, to this day, affords good all-around visibility for those who travel it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natchez_Trace_Parkway

The riders' routes are essentially 'paths of least resistance'. It would be interesting to chart them against ancient trackways.

Here's another Wiki entry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watling_Street

« Reply #2087 on: 26 March, 2015, 12:24:38 pm »
It's a sort of spatial analysis by experiment.

http://www.antiqui.it/archeologiaquantitativa/analisi%20spaziale.htm

« Reply #2088 on: 26 March, 2015, 12:42:19 pm »
Developing a theory to explain the evidence, or manipulating the evidence to fit a theory?

Nothing to do with water sources, geographical advantages and ancient ley lines.

If you squint, you’ll get an image of a man trying to club a bull, but a mirror image of the one in the sky.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2089 on: 26 March, 2015, 12:57:01 pm »
I couldn't see Marsh Gibbon on that map.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2090 on: 26 March, 2015, 01:15:53 pm »
I’m assessing 22 is Cirencester, so 23 is Bicester. MG is a field just E of 23.
27 is Bath and 33 is Ilchester.
The coincidence is all three of these happens to be they have a fresh water supply, so a good place to stop for filling up.
The straight line from 22 to 23 to 24 ( Cirencester, Biscester, St Albans ) doesn’t happen on the real map.

Fantasy conjecture IMHO.

« Reply #2091 on: 26 March, 2015, 01:18:12 pm »
The area is sparsely settled with the one main settlement of Marsh Gibbon on slightly higher ground in the north. The busy A41 cuts through the lower half of the area in an east west direction. It runs along the course of Akeman Street a Roman road.

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/media/1976274/LCA-81-Marsh-Gibbon-Vale.pdf

For Kurt, following old native trails might provide an interesting story for local papers. Researching them might be fun, and they are likely to follow paths of least resistance.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Native_American_trails_in_the_United_States

« Reply #2092 on: 26 March, 2015, 01:22:22 pm »
While Steve follows Ley Lines, pushed along by the Collective Psychokinesis of his supporters.  ;D

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2093 on: 26 March, 2015, 01:34:31 pm »
Tarzan is less like to be troubled by Downs than Steve is.   ;D
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2094 on: 26 March, 2015, 01:49:08 pm »

Contemplates a poor-taste joke but, unusually, shows restraint.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hillbilly

« Reply #2095 on: 26 March, 2015, 01:50:34 pm »
Looks like Kurt is munching the miles back up the Nachez Trail today. It looked like a blissful road to cycle on when he rode it last time.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2096 on: 26 March, 2015, 02:25:32 pm »
Apparently much of central Texas is composed of what would be downs if they were in England.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2097 on: 26 March, 2015, 03:18:30 pm »
http://goo.gl/maps/Nx7EC

Road at random in mid Warwicksire. Just like Texas.

red marley

« Reply #2098 on: 27 March, 2015, 06:11:47 am »
Nothing posted on Strava, Facebook or Garmin Connect for the 26th from Tarzan yet. I wasn't following the SPOT yesterday, so don't know how far along the Natchez Trace he went.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #2099 on: 27 March, 2015, 08:10:53 am »
Contemplates a poor-taste joke but, unusually, shows restraint.
I think that one would be in too poor taste even for the Sun.
Not especially helpful or mature