Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 460851 times)

Re: Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)
« Reply #2250 on: 07 April, 2015, 03:28:51 am »
220.4 today.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #2251 on: 07 April, 2015, 10:06:03 am »
I love it. Kurt does 220 miles at an average of 18 mph and then posts of Facebook saying "slow day - but got my 220.". I'd like that as a slow day.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #2252 on: 07 April, 2015, 12:18:32 pm »
Brilliant stuff Kurt.

red marley

« Reply #2253 on: 10 April, 2015, 01:53:30 pm »
No comments about Kurt's ride yesterday?

He did 240 miles at an average speed of 20.1 mph with an average heartrate of 86 bpm. Even if wind was involved, that is a hugely impressive bit of athleticism squeezed in after 89 days of riding.

As they like to say over on Strava: Kudos.

« Reply #2254 on: 10 April, 2015, 04:09:09 pm »
I have a look at his tracker and FB pages every day.  The videos are great at showing the landscape he's riding in as well as being a really good insight into how he's dealing with the challenge.  Humour seems ever-present which must help enormously.

Mentions the possibility of going to Texas for a 24 TT this weekend (and asking for volunteers for Hoppo).
The sound of one pannier flapping

simonp

« Reply #2255 on: 10 April, 2015, 04:29:54 pm »
It's quite frightening to be honest. Doing similar distance on the easter arrow at a much lower speed - 13-14mph average my HR averaged 126bpm. I thought that was quite low.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #2256 on: 10 April, 2015, 04:34:34 pm »
Looks like he's reversing the route today so should be another biggie  :thumbsup:
As for the heart rate, mine was higher on Monday as I wheeled the bike out of the garage  :(
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #2257 on: 10 April, 2015, 05:18:24 pm »
No comments about Kurt's ride yesterday?

He did 240 miles at an average speed of 20.1 mph with an average heartrate of 86 bpm. Even if wind was involved, that is a hugely impressive bit of athleticism squeezed in after 89 days of riding.

As they like to say over on Strava: Kudos.

London ( Tower Bridge ) to Bristol ( Clifton Suspension Bridge ) and back at evens  :o F**KING HELL.

« Reply #2258 on: 10 April, 2015, 05:19:46 pm »
At 86 bpm these guys are incredible.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #2259 on: 10 April, 2015, 05:30:35 pm »
Have I got this right?

The 12hr velodrome TT WR is 286 miles?

Kurt is 4/5 of this ON THE ROAD, after a ride of over 200 mile yesterday, with the prospect of another 200+ miles ride tomorrow.

My hat is well and truly off.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2260 on: 10 April, 2015, 05:31:33 pm »
London ( Tower Bridge ) to Bristol ( Clifton Suspension Bridge ) and back at evens  :o F**KING HELL.

Bloody hell!  I first read that as London to Bristol at evens and was impressed.  Then I noticed the "and back".
Farrk, that's nearly as quick as me!
 ;)

And what's more.  Crikey!
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #2261 on: 10 April, 2015, 05:47:39 pm »
My average HR for a flattish 20-mile 17mph ride is around 150. How the hell does Kurt do this at 86? I get more than that walking to the kitchen for another beer.

Oh.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2262 on: 10 April, 2015, 06:32:29 pm »
Have I got this right?

The 12hr velodrome TT WR is 286 miles?

Kurt is 4/5 of this ON THE ROAD, after a ride of over 200 mile yesterday, with the prospect of another 200+ miles ride tomorrow.

My hat is well and truly off.

The UK 12hr TT record is 317 miles.  So suspect that the velodrome TT is either one of these Guinness sponsored facts or that no one has really given it a proper go.  Mind you, doing 2000+ laps of a track in 12 hours would be better than sitting in the office at this time on a Friday correcting a bid document.   :demon:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2263 on: 10 April, 2015, 06:46:06 pm »
My chum Axel did a 1021 km '24' on a 250m velodrome - fully-faired recumbent.  He was a bit dizzy by the end.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hillbilly

« Reply #2264 on: 10 April, 2015, 06:48:27 pm »
My average HR for a flattish 20-mile 17mph ride is around 150. How the hell does Kurt do this at 86? I get more than that walking to the kitchen for another beer.

Oh.

He's a superb athlete.  Although part of it will presumably be sensible use of weather conditions (tailwind), terrain (flat to moderately undulating) and the recumbent.  Age might also have a bearing, as I recall resting HR reduces with age.

It would be very interesting to see his power output, rather than simply his HR data.

Doesn't detract from him being a tip-top contender, significantly further along the bell curve of power endurance.

« Reply #2265 on: 10 April, 2015, 07:34:09 pm »
Although part of it will presumably be sensible use of weather conditions (tailwind

Kurts tracker for yesterday when I looked was showing a South Westerly with wind speed figures of between 24 and 29 mph - so quite helpful.

« Reply #2266 on: 10 April, 2015, 07:36:05 pm »
Clearly he is using prevailing conditions to best advantage. Something Steve also takes into account no doubt.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2267 on: 10 April, 2015, 07:49:59 pm »
That corner of Arkansas/Missouri is pretty flat too.  There is a town yclept "Holland" not far inside MO.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2268 on: 10 April, 2015, 07:51:49 pm »
Averaging 20mph on flat ground with a 25mph tailwind is pretty easy. A low heartrate isn't surprising in those circumstances.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2269 on: 10 April, 2015, 08:05:20 pm »
It's still a bloody long way though
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #2270 on: 10 April, 2015, 08:06:21 pm »
Clearly he is using prevailing conditions to best advantage. Something Steve also takes into account no doubt.

You'd be silly not to - but you can't cycle 200+ miles in any direction on flat roads in the UK.

This website is good for looking at historical weather data - it has some neat little graphs and loads of data so you can get a good idea of the weather on any given day around the world.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/

Little Rock Arkansas yesterday

Little Rock Weather History

« Reply #2271 on: 10 April, 2015, 09:21:08 pm »
He's just passed through the delightfully named "Bald Knob"???

« Reply #2272 on: 10 April, 2015, 10:22:07 pm »
He's just passed through the delightfully named "Bald Knob"???

It was once known as the leading strawberry producer in the world.

« Reply #2273 on: 11 April, 2015, 12:03:23 pm »
Perspective. I know this has been said before but right now the living proof of Kurt's performances are coming home to me. I'm just back from my Saturday run: 65km at a road speed average of 26kph and feeling rather pleased with myself - lardy old slob that I am- but I stopped for coffee and cake part way round, which brings my average speed down to 21kph. I am the same age and size as Kurt and there he goes doing between 3 and 4 times that distance (EDIT after zigzag's correct observation of my non-conversion from kms to miles: 5-6 times that piddly distance), a third as fast again, and without raising his heartrate above an average of 90bpm. And he does it every day! The man's phenomenal, or as they say here ¡Que bestia! It beggars belief.
They laughed when I said I was going to be a stand-up comedian. They're not laughing now.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2274 on: 11 April, 2015, 12:13:31 pm »
sorry to point out that he does between 5 and 6 times the distance.. phenominal athlete indeed!