Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 460738 times)

Re: Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)
« Reply #2350 on: 04 May, 2015, 09:14:23 pm »
The danger with being forced to trust yourself to physicians when involved in this sort of massive endurance event is that they are likely to tell you to stop being so bloody stupid.

Ahhhh....what do doctors know? They are taught to do everything by the law of averages. As soon as you move out of that "sphere" - they are lost. I just had a fairly serious back problem diagnosed - my doctor spent 3 years telling me it was "muscular". Que possible malpractice suit.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2351 on: 04 May, 2015, 09:21:14 pm »
Quite. Before I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, Mrs. Wow and I used to go on walking holidays. We generally walked between 10 and 15 miles a day. At one of my appointments I told the consultant that I liked walking, and asked what he would recommend as an upper limit. "Oh, about 2 miles," he replied. That was the point at which I thought "You just plucked a figure out of the air!" and decided for myself how far I would walk.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2352 on: 04 May, 2015, 09:59:38 pm »
Can I add one?  I visited a friend who was a nun and had just had surgery for breast cancer.  She had been fobbed off for months by her GP, who thought she was just ... um ... looking for a man's attention.

red marley

« Reply #2353 on: 07 May, 2015, 07:40:46 pm »
Lots of updates from Kurt : https://www.facebook.com/tarzanrides

Lump now down to golfball size (antibiotics doing the trick); no RAAM (logistics too complicated); moving to Wisconsin in June (looking for lodgings).

« Reply #2354 on: 07 May, 2015, 09:11:42 pm »
That sounds promising.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #2355 on: 13 May, 2015, 06:06:23 am »
Kurts Facebook at about 3am 13/5/15 says "did 230 today - but having problem  with Garmin file - sent to UMCA for help"

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2356 on: 14 May, 2015, 12:30:47 pm »
Over the last month I have become increasingly Konfident in Kurt's ability to do this. 4 months in seems like about the time that mental fatigue would start to build (didn't Steve predict something similar); seeing days well over the target rate, despite his recent setbacks, it looks like he's got his head screwed-on for this.

Kome On Kurt!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2357 on: 17 May, 2015, 09:32:01 pm »
I lost the impetus to follow with Kurt ever since Steve got knocked down, but just checking back in every now and then, he continues to put in some consistently impressive performances.
The Dark Side machine looks like it's paid it's way too.
Garry Broad

« Reply #2358 on: 17 May, 2015, 09:50:58 pm »
I lost the impetus to follow with Kurt ever since Steve got knocked down

And me too VB.

Have only the heart to start checking how he's doing now that Steve's proven (yet again) that he is superhuman.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #2359 on: 27 May, 2015, 11:00:33 am »
Alicia is getting quite good at the little videos, and Kurt seems to have reached peak condition. As they get to the halfway point it starts to become more interesting. I see that he's starting to wear out his jerseys, and needs some new ones.

« Reply #2360 on: 01 June, 2015, 10:04:41 am »
I am surprised that the american bike industrial , have not got behind kurt. A few  tops & shorts would be very cheap advertising . I have a nos  audax uk top sitting in the draw . Might send it out when my skin & blister returns to the USA . I don't  need it my hands in plaster . A yacf top  would look good on kurt  !!! 
Its More Fun With Three .

« Reply #2361 on: 01 June, 2015, 10:24:40 am »
A yacf top  would look good on kurt  !!!
That's a very good idea.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2362 on: 01 June, 2015, 11:59:05 am »
I'm sure something could be arranged.
Getting there...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2363 on: 01 June, 2015, 12:25:02 pm »
I lost the impetus to follow with Kurt ever since Steve got knocked down, but just checking back in every now and then, he continues to put in some consistently impressive performances.

It's a shame we aren't getting the excitement of the early part of the year, seeing how Steve and Kurt's rides matched up against each other, but I'm still enjoying following Kurt's progress by Strava and really willing him on. It looks like he's making very steady progress, consistently knocking out rides well over 300km and dropping in the occasional 400km+ monster day. Great stuff.

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ianrauk

• Tattooed Beat Messiah
« Reply #2364 on: 01 June, 2015, 02:28:42 pm »
The same as me. I really wasn't that too interested in Kurts progress. Less so when Steve was off the bike. But you can't not admire the guy. He's proving to be phenomenal athlete.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2365 on: 01 June, 2015, 04:59:35 pm »
I am surprised that the american bike industrial , have not got behind kurt. A few  tops & shorts would be very cheap advertising . I have a nos  audax uk top sitting in the draw . Might send it out when my skin & blister returns to the USA . I don't  need it my hands in plaster . A yacf top  would look good on kurt  !!!
Nice idea. I reckon AUK could afford a jersey or two.

Even after the millions* we gave to Steve, there are quite a few pennies in the war-chest.

*may be an exaggeration
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2366 on: 01 June, 2015, 05:40:05 pm »
consistently impressive performances.
consistently knocking out rides well over 300km and dropping in the occasional 400km+ monster day. Great stuff.

Great stuff indeed! Go Kurt!

LMT

« Reply #2367 on: 01 June, 2015, 07:03:03 pm »
Awesome riding, said it from day one, wind or no wind, to bang out sub 12hr 200+ ride after ride after...is awesome sauce.

Chris S

« Reply #2368 on: 01 June, 2015, 07:05:53 pm »
Awesome riding, said it from day one, wind or no wind, to bang out sub 12hr 200+ ride after ride after...is awesome sauce.

Yup   :thumbsup:.

And he's only got to keep it up for another half a year or so. Damn, this is a hard challenge.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #2369 on: 02 June, 2015, 11:19:46 am »
Alicia and Kurt make a great team, I think. Their constant good humour and gentle ribbing of each other is a delight, and makes light of what is, by any human standard, an incredible challenge. I really, really hope Kurt can make it through the rest of the year without the kind of upsets that Steve and Miles have suffered.

« Reply #2370 on: 02 June, 2015, 11:41:05 am »
Alicia and Kurt make a great team, I think. Their constant good humour and gentle ribbing of each other is a delight, and makes light of what is, by any human standard, an incredible challenge. I really, really hope Kurt can make it through the rest of the year without the kind of upsets that Steve and Miles have suffered.

Well said  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2371 on: 02 June, 2015, 11:49:43 am »
Too late - Kurt has already had a bout of serious illness.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

TimC

« Reply #2372 on: 02 June, 2015, 12:42:41 pm »
Too late - Kurt has already had a bout of serious illness.
I'm aware of the lump issue which forced him into riding the 'bent for a few days, but he only lost a couple of days' full-distance efforts as far as I knew. Was there something else?

simonp

« Reply #2373 on: 02 June, 2015, 12:44:26 pm »
He had a virus or something. A few days off the bike. Hard to classify as a serious illness.

TimC

« Reply #2374 on: 02 June, 2015, 12:45:14 pm »
Ah, ok. Must have missed that somewhere along the line!