Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 460855 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)
« Reply #2400 on: 26 June, 2015, 06:51:20 am »
Kurt is at risk of being the forgotten man in this.  Given that he has the opportunity to move back to Florida when the days get shorter and the weather colder, he is now in a good position, even though there's many things that could still trip him up.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2401 on: 29 June, 2015, 02:43:39 pm »
Kurt is at risk of being the forgotten man in this.
According to jo's summary thread, Kurt has posted no rides/data for the whole weekend.

Any news around that hasn't made it to YACF-land?  :-\
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2402 on: 29 June, 2015, 02:45:15 pm »
Kurt is at risk of being the forgotten man in this.
According to jo's summary thread, Kurt has posted no rides/data for the whole weekend.

Any news around that hasn't made it to YACF-land?  :-\

From FB

"We are still riding - just having major internet issues in NW wisconsin. 226 Saturday and 224 Sunday. About to get back on the bike and put in another good day."

red marley

« Reply #2403 on: 29 June, 2015, 02:46:18 pm »
They're up on Strava now (364k and 362k). I'll add them to the chart when I get home from work.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2404 on: 30 June, 2015, 11:38:53 pm »
just watched the latest FB vid.

Has anyne actually seen Kurt on a road that wasnt PAN-flat?!?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Martin

« Reply #2405 on: 01 July, 2015, 12:01:33 am »

their roads do have the impression of flat but having ridden up a falr bit (400k of it) not far away I can assure you they are not;

his GC rides all have climbing figures; agreed all very flat by UK standards but organising / riding the flattest 200 in the AUK calendar I can probably rightly say that flat does not mean easy

Grandad

• Once upon a time
« Reply #2406 on: 01 July, 2015, 01:01:18 am »
organising helping with / riding the flattest 200 in the AUK calendar

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #2407 on: 01 July, 2015, 01:15:38 am »

If you're going for huge distances and you can pick the roads, why not pick the easiest roads?

I can only assume there's something in TEH ROOLZ about not starting each day from the highest peak you can find and freewheeling as far as the mountain will take you.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

« Reply #2408 on: 01 July, 2015, 02:04:29 am »

He's not stupid. This challenge is about miles, not climbing.

And, if you think he can't climb, you're sorely mistaken.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2409 on: 01 July, 2015, 05:11:03 am »
I can only assume there's something in TEH ROOLZ about not starting each day from the highest peak you can find and freewheeling as far as the mountain will take you.

Nope; both Tarzan and Miles have used motorised means to get between segments of their riding.  As long as the SCIENCE doesn't record it as distance ridden.

I reckon US-12 in Idaho is 173 miles mostly downhill from the summit of Lolo Pass to Lewiston and the former is "only" about 5300' above sea level - much higher roads are available in Colorado.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2410 on: 01 July, 2015, 06:48:06 am »
Gosh, the Kurt fans are touchy tonight!

Nope; both Tarzan and Miles have used motorised means to get between segments of their riding.  As long as the SCIENCE doesn't record it as distance ridden.

Assumptions are dangerous things.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Martin

« Reply #2411 on: 01 July, 2015, 07:57:54 am »
organising helping with / riding the flattest 200 in the AUK calendar

Double Dutch is flatter than the Fairies ride  ;)

« Reply #2412 on: 01 July, 2015, 08:11:05 am »
big thumbs up to Kurt. :thumbsup:

It must be a big psycological boost crossing the line.

re riding flat roads why shouldn't he? On such a huge challenge it seems crazy to me to make it any tougher than it needs to be.

« Reply #2413 on: 01 July, 2015, 09:02:47 am »
big thumbs up to Kurt. :thumbsup:

It must be a big psycological boost crossing the line.

re riding flat roads why shouldn't he? On such a huge challenge it seems crazy to me to make it any tougher than it needs to be.

Indeed.  Personally I find really flat roads almost the hardest - e.g. the flatlands section of LEL, especially if there is wind about!

I really don't think its appropriate to be having a dig at any of the riders for their individual approach providing it's covered by the letter & spirit of the UMCA rules.
The sound of one pannier flapping

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2414 on: 01 July, 2015, 03:15:19 pm »
I really don't think its appropriate to be having a dig at any of the riders for their individual approach providing it's covered by the letter & spirit of the UMCA rules.
Let me know if that happens, won't you?  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #2415 on: 01 July, 2015, 05:21:38 pm »
Let me know if that happens, won't you?  :thumbsup:

I don't see how "Has anyne actually seen Kurt on a road that wasnt PAN-flat?!?" can be interpreted in any other way than as a dig, however mild, but simply an observation about the roads Kurt happens to be using - but I'm sure you'll re-assure me that it wasn't  ;)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2416 on: 01 July, 2015, 05:22:45 pm »
I saw that as a remark admiring his planning.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2417 on: 01 July, 2015, 05:25:49 pm »
I saw that as a remark admiring his planning.

Fair enough.  There was an awful lot of sniping about Kurt's tactics earlier in the year (recumbent, geography, etc).  I guess I detected a whiff of the same re-surfacing.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2418 on: 01 July, 2015, 06:00:01 pm »

their roads do have the impression of flat but having ridden up a falr bit (400k of it) not far away I can assure you they are not;

his GC rides all have climbing figures
yes,  ive followed his data extensively, and clearly a lot of days do include enough climbing to be  ... visible.

So I am surprised that every vid I've watched really is on pan-flat tarmac, usually stretching into the distance with no sign of change. Perhaps the climby bits are also on more technical roads i.e. its harder to film from the van safely*
Dunno.

Anyway - Kurt fans are free to make any assumptions they like about my thoughts and intentions (and about the rules!)

*I'm not going to open THAT can of worms again here ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #2419 on: 07 July, 2015, 09:54:32 pm »

I reckon US-12 in Idaho is 173 miles mostly downhill from the summit of Lolo Pass to Lewiston and the former is "only" about 5300' above sea level - much higher roads are available in Colorado.

I'm not concerned about using motorised means to get between segments, more what each segment needs to look like. If you can start at the top of a 173-mile downhill drag every day you can chalk up huge distances with minimal effort as long as you've got a way (and the means to cover costs) to drive back to the top every day.

If you can freewheel for 170 miles, be driven back to the top, rinse and repeat, and still have it count as "distance cycled" then just about anyone can cover 62,050 miles in 365 days - all you need is the ability to stay awake during what must grow to be something very tedious. If you can sleep while being driven back to the top and get by on 3-4 hours of sleep maybe twice daily you can do more than that just by coasting a lot.

In simplistic terms (and using your example), if you freewheel at an average 20mph for 9 hours and then spend three hours being driven back to the top of the mountain, you could conceivably do two "circuits" daily, clocking 340 miles daily or 124,100 miles over 365 days, while never exerting any actual effort. I'm sure there must be something in the rules to disqualify such an approach.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Si_Co

« Reply #2420 on: 08 July, 2015, 06:50:14 am »

his GC rides all have climbing figures
yes,  ive followed his data extensively, and clearly a lot of days do include enough climbing to be  ... visible.

So I am surprised that every vid I've watched really is on pan-flat tarmac, usually stretching into the distance with no sign of change. Perhaps the climby bits are also on more technical roads i.e. its harder to film from the van safely*
Dunno.

Anyway - Kurt fans are free to make any assumptions they like about my thoughts and intentions (and about the rules!)

*I'm not going to open THAT can of worms again here ...

Thing is gradients don't film well at all, you have to put a lot of effort into getting that across, ESL is very good at this. Also on such roads a shallow gradient is going to add up over such distances, very few countries road builders have the 'Yep straight up...that'll do' attitude that has been historically prevalent here.

ETA: Note to self, read the whole quote

« Reply #2421 on: 08 July, 2015, 11:28:06 am »
Alicia seems to be filming with a smartphone or similar. She'd need a longer focal length to film an approaching Kurt on a hill. She's doing quite well within the limits of extreme wide angle, but moving footage is always going to need to be shot from a vehicle.

« Reply #2422 on: 08 July, 2015, 05:25:04 pm »

Dunno.

The climbing data on Strava can be wildly out and if that is the data you are looking at it will give a false impression of the amount of climbing.

I seem to remember one of Steves segments showing a gradual climb over a distance of about 150km. Someone may know of a road like this but it's not in the UK. I believe it's down to change in air pressure during the course of the day.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2423 on: 09 July, 2015, 10:53:18 pm »
Kurt is currently heading east on about the straightest road I've ever seen marked on a map. It's about 20 miles without deviation. I bet he hasn't got a headwind.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2424 on: 10 July, 2015, 04:01:51 am »
Kurt is currently heading east on about the straightest road I've ever seen marked on a map. It's about 20 miles without deviation. I bet he hasn't got a headwind.

Maybe not, but you can bet he's working a lot harder than Tommy Godwin was when he was drafting behind his team of pacers.