Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 460733 times)

Re: Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)
« Reply #2600 on: 24 September, 2015, 03:47:12 pm »
Wishing Kurt good riding, and all the wisdom necessary.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #2601 on: 24 September, 2015, 04:14:26 pm »
Reading the thread on FB, there seems to be at least one medically-qualified commenter willing to help out, and he has been told that he needn't change anything he does while he carries the medical heart recording device (though I wonder if he told them at the heart hospital that he was riding 220 mpd?!). Hopefully the condition can be managed while he continues to ride.

« Reply #2602 on: 24 September, 2015, 04:23:34 pm »
i noticed his (ex?) wife also posted, with praise and support

Go Kurt :thumbsup:

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #2603 on: 24 September, 2015, 06:48:25 pm »
From the tracker it looks like he's having an easy day - 50 miles done but "only" doing about 8 mph
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

« Reply #2604 on: 24 September, 2015, 07:00:05 pm »
Reading the thread on FB, there seems to be at least one medically-qualified commenter willing to help out, and he has been told that he needn't change anything he does while he carries the medical heart recording device (though I wonder if he told them at the heart hospital that he was riding 220 mpd?!). Hopefully the condition can be managed while he continues to ride.

Given the litigious nature of the US and the possibility that the medically-qualified person probably doesn't know have access to Kurt's medical records, he's very brave to be giving such advice IMO.

GWS Kurt.   

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2605 on: 24 September, 2015, 08:30:50 pm »
He's ratcheting up the speed now. 19.5mph.

I have to say I question the wisdom of this approach.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

red marley

« Reply #2606 on: 24 September, 2015, 08:57:03 pm »
Given that he is capable of riding at 20mph with a lower heart rate than your or my resting rate, I have to say I'm not able to judge the wisdom of his approach. From the little I understand about AF in endurance athletes, this is more about long-term activity than it is about his effort at any one point in time.

« Reply #2607 on: 25 September, 2015, 09:58:03 am »
A local TV interview done yesterday after the heart scare - http://www.thv11.com/story/news/local/2015/09/24/local-cyclists-riding-to-break-world-record/72756088/

Doesn't look too concerned!

Interestingly he is now saying he would be happy to break the record by just 1 mile, and has given up thoughts of adding a significant distance to the total.

Glad that he appears to be back on track.  It would be such a shame if either rider had to abandon for unforeseen reasons.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2608 on: 25 September, 2015, 06:05:11 pm »
He may do that, but let's say he breaks the record with a week to go. I wouldn't mind betting that he still gets out on his bike during the following week, even if it isn't for 10 or more hours. and if he's done the miles, then he might as well log them.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2609 on: 26 September, 2015, 09:43:30 pm »
Kurt has headed a long way south today, not that far from the Louisiana border. I wouldn't have thought he would have wanted to move too close to the coast year, because the hurricane season has hardly started.

« Reply #2610 on: 27 September, 2015, 01:20:02 pm »
He's had what sounds to be a spectacular pothole-induced off. Nothing injured but a bit of skin and lycra.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #2611 on: 27 September, 2015, 05:06:24 pm »
He may do that, but let's say he breaks the record with a week to go.

I'd like to see him break the calendar year 1YTT.  Starting a fraction later than Steve always left a mild sour taste in my mouth.  (It did not feel like a fair fight).

Good luck to him and awesome respect for what he has achieved.  I still believe that it is King Tommy as the best of all time.

Psychler

« Reply #2612 on: 27 September, 2015, 11:13:13 pm »
The latest of Alicia's facebook reports -

TARZAN UPDATE: Kurt was out the door before 5:AM heading east then south/southwest. BDB is today and he was planning on riding, but he's had enough excitement for the week. We hope everyone understands and has a great ride today. Yesterday, the cardiologist was encouraging and said, "Don't give up!" So, he is good to go. Although, he does need to get his hypothyroid under control and see an endocrinologist asap. And yes, I'll be dragging his stubborn butt in to see whoever he needs to see to make sure he is healthy enough to continue. I expected this last lap around the earth to be the most difficult with unexpected road blocks and challenges. We have both taken big hits, yet there is no stopping us. This is just what we were meant to do. Thank you for all of your well wishes and support. ~ Alicia

Psychler

« Reply #2613 on: 28 September, 2015, 01:16:48 am »
Looks like a huge one today from Kurt - 240 on the tracker and he's still going.

Edit - 251 and still going!

Edit no 2 - 262.08 miles on the tracker and still going.  I'm off to bed!

red marley

« Reply #2614 on: 28 September, 2015, 05:18:36 am »
He had a car trip between two periods of riding, so I think the tracker would have given a misleading impression. There's also an 8 mile stretch at around 10:30am where he appears to have hopped in the car. So I make it around 205 miles for the day.

Psychler

« Reply #2615 on: 28 September, 2015, 02:52:23 pm »
He had a car trip between two periods of riding, so I think the tracker would have given a misleading impression. There's also an 8 mile stretch at around 10:30am where he appears to have hopped in the car. So I make it around 205 miles for the day.

That explains it - he must have left the tracker on.  Although the mileages both Kurt and Steve clock are incredible.

« Reply #2616 on: 29 September, 2015, 05:41:45 am »
I see there is a one off big spike in heart rate on Mondays ride, be careful out there Kurt.
There's always time for a second slice of cake.

red marley

« Reply #2617 on: 29 September, 2015, 05:45:29 am »
Although it appears to coincide with a burst of speed and the largest spike seems to be the climb over the bridge, so presumably all under control.

« Reply #2618 on: 30 September, 2015, 10:28:34 am »
Things don't appear to be under control.
Recumbent shifter, derailleur have bitten the dust.
Alicia taking Kurt to Urgent Care because he couldn't breath (very easily). Watched the vid but can't really work out any more details.
Only managed 124miles
<i>Marmite slave</i>

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #2619 on: 30 September, 2015, 10:35:25 am »
Day 263 says 211 miles
That video about not breathing says day 199?

Chris S

« Reply #2620 on: 30 September, 2015, 10:36:15 am »
Day 263 says 211 miles
That video about not breathing says day 199?

Yeah - that's all old news, I think.

« Reply #2621 on: 30 September, 2015, 10:42:04 am »
That's confusing - it's appeared as the top video in his hamr page. sorry if I've mislead people.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

simonp

« Reply #2622 on: 30 September, 2015, 10:54:41 am »
Alicia is a long way behind on editing the videos.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2623 on: 01 October, 2015, 08:52:26 am »
Another 200+ day despite his health worries.  55,000 miles and counting and (only) 198.27 miles per day to go.  Am really hoping that he does succeed, but I don't think he will go far past Tommy Godwin's mark, so will leave Teethgrinder with a manageable target for August next year.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2624 on: 01 October, 2015, 09:09:27 am »
I think you are probably right about not beating the 1939 record by much. If we think back a year to when the negotiations over rules etc. were still under way, did Kurt not decide to walk away at one point, only to come back in when Steve had finalised the rules?

I have always gained the impression that Kurt did this not because it was a lifelong ambition, as it has been for Steve, but simply because it was yet another big challenge which presented itself.