Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 460879 times)

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
Re: Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)
« Reply #2625 on: 01 October, 2015, 09:32:29 am »
His daily average suggests he'll add 1001 miles at the moment.  Not much?  Depends on you point of view I guess, that's a damn long way to me.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

hillbilly

« Reply #2626 on: 01 October, 2015, 09:42:11 am »
Whilst they don't sound like much, I think those extra 3 miles or so a day about Tommy Godwin's record will be an incredible achievement.  If I'm honest, I can't see any of the known challengers beating that average pace without a paradigm shift in how their record attempts have progressed so far.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #2627 on: 01 October, 2015, 11:58:38 am »
I agree with Wowsa that, for Kurt, this is a challenge that happened to come up on the radar rather than a lifelong ambition. But you can't argue with the effectiveness of his campaign! Steve, I think, has learned a good deal form Kurt's approach (for the concurrent attempt) and appears to be applying the same principle of doing just a little more than a Standard Godwin as an average, rather than looking for repeated summer days of 300+ miles. Miles' attempt I just don't get; he's claiming to be 'on WR pace' but is something like 7500 miles off it. I can't take him seriously in this context, even though his mileage is way beyond anything I could achieve!

« Reply #2628 on: 02 October, 2015, 08:05:46 pm »
Kurt has asked Alicia to marry him, with a chocolate donut ring!

Is this guy serious.

Clearly he certainly has humour.

https://www.facebook.com/tarzanrides/videos/1661763417398698/

« Reply #2629 on: 03 October, 2015, 08:01:41 am »
Donut? Pah! Cheapskate.

I proposed to Mrs W with a bag of chips  :thumbsup:
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #2630 on: 03 October, 2015, 08:51:46 am »

« Reply #2631 on: 03 October, 2015, 09:01:31 pm »
Congratulations to Tarzan and Alicia. Maybe on behalf of team Steve we could scrape together funds for a 2 week ( no bikes allowed ) honeymoon sometime before the year ends! ; )
Seriously I wish them well.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2632 on: 04 October, 2015, 12:06:28 pm »
Jack: I have to warn you, I've heard relationships based on intense experiences never work.
Annie: ["Rest of exchange removed on the grounds of being in poor taste.  Google it if you must" - Ed.]
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2633 on: 04 October, 2015, 12:34:37 pm »
Just posted on FB:

Quote from: Alicia
Yesterday was rough. Kurt rode about 164 miles. We found a stretch of 50 miles along a highway that had a great shoulder with a rumble strip next to the white line. His energy was very low and he was complaining about being very tired. In an effort to maximize road and wind conditions of 10 to 15 mph, I would shuttle him back to the starting point giving him a chance to rest or nap. This worked for a while, but he just didn't have it in him. By the time we got home last night I had driven 480 miles. We are both pooped. He's gotten up a few times only to go back to bed, then I thought he was leaving when I found him curled up in the overstuffed chair. Kurt is currently laying on his yoga mat wrapped up in a blanket... oh yea, it's gonna be a big miles day. ~ Alicia
Getting there...

red marley

« Reply #2634 on: 04 October, 2015, 01:07:28 pm »
I'm surprised that there aren't more days like that for all three riders and for Alicia. I am in awe of them all in not letting the tired days derail the whole venture. Interestingly though, despite the fatigue, he did manage one of his fastest days yet (10th fastest since the start). Or more likely the fatigue is partly a result of the speed he was riding.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2635 on: 04 October, 2015, 02:35:49 pm »
I agree.  In a year for which 164 miles is a massive disappointment, the resilience of all athletes & crew is incredible.
Getting there...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2636 on: 04 October, 2015, 03:14:31 pm »
I'm surprised that there aren't more days like that for all three riders and for Alicia. I am in awe of them all in not letting the tired days derail the whole venture. Interestingly though, despite the fatigue, he did manage one of his fastest days yet (10th fastest since the start). Or more likely the fatigue is partly a result of the speed he was riding.
... or maybe the speed was due to entirely flat tail-wind riding?

(not a criticism, before the usual suspects jump down my throat .... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2637 on: 04 October, 2015, 07:45:05 pm »
Whatever the cause, Kurt has enough 'slack' to be able to allow for the odd day of fatigue.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #2638 on: 04 October, 2015, 08:53:40 pm »
I agree.  In a year for which 164 miles is a massive disappointment, the resilience of all athletes & crew is incredible.
Nail on the head from Mr Clarion  :thumbsup:

Sleep Kurt, go Kurt.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #2639 on: 05 October, 2015, 04:51:41 am »
Wishing Kurt and Alicia very well!

« Reply #2640 on: 05 October, 2015, 08:18:07 am »
This all sounds like me at the weekend  :-\

Anyway hope his energy levels return soon.  :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

StevieB

• I'm an embarrassment to my bicycle!
« Reply #2641 on: 05 October, 2015, 07:34:39 pm »
More drama than Eastenders!

Been thinking that for the past month,
and it just keeps on coming...
It may be self-flagellation, but it still hurts

hillbilly

« Reply #2642 on: 05 October, 2015, 08:30:13 pm »
Beastenders.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2643 on: 05 October, 2015, 08:32:34 pm »
I don't know if other people get this on long events, but sometimes I struggle when I'm on the homeward stretch, the biggest challenges are over, and its just a matter of keeping going to the finish.  On PBP I call it the Road to Dreux syndrome. 

I wonder if Kurt is struggling with the OYTT equivalent of this.  He's got the daily distance down to what he has been doing comfortably.  He's almost 3/4 of the way there and now he's feeling the fatigue.  Is something going on which is along the lines of "I've proven I can do this, do I have to really go through with the last bit?"

That's not to take away from his immense achievement but pondering the fact that he's had more than his fair share of bad days and health scares over the last month.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #2644 on: 05 October, 2015, 08:48:07 pm »
Interesting point.

hillbilly

« Reply #2645 on: 05 October, 2015, 09:05:27 pm »
It's not just you CET...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2646 on: 07 October, 2015, 11:52:00 am »
Sounds like Kurt is back in the office, kicking out the miles.
Getting there...

red marley

« Reply #2647 on: 10 October, 2015, 05:44:36 pm »
Kurt's still (understandably) feeling the weariness of the challenge, but getting something of a fillip from supporters. From Alicia via Facebook today...

Kurt was just plain tired yesterday and I was down after a reaction from a dental procedure, so that didn't help. If I go down, he goes down. He asked me, "Is this were we fell off the mountain?" I said, "No, we fell into a crevasse and now we are dangling by our ropes. If the rope breaks we fall into the dark cold abyss below. We need to find a way to climb out or wait to be rescued." Boys and girls, it's getting tough. There was a Wounded Warriors riding event this morning and he planned to ride with Ben. This got him to climb back into the saddle. His motivation lowers in the evening and that's when I need to get out there. To the cyclists in the Little Rock area, you have no idea how encouraging it is for Kurt that you show up, turn around on your own training, ask him to join your group ride, etc... know that you've come to the rescue. Thank you. ~ Alicia

« Reply #2648 on: 10 October, 2015, 07:05:22 pm »
IMHO there's a notable lack of cyclists encouraging Steve on the road. Just saying.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2649 on: 10 October, 2015, 07:14:07 pm »
Steve's somewhat harder to find.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime