Author Topic: [HAMR] Feb 28th  (Read 7684 times)

Re: Feb 28th
« Reply #25 on: 01 March, 2015, 07:03:39 am »
Confused.com

Whilst suffering a bout of insomnia, I was perusing Kurts tracker in the early hours. According to his tracker he stopped at around about 229 miles. This morning I see his Garmin Connect trace gives his distance as 215.8 and his Strava as 178.2. Strava is the yardstick but I'm confused by the discrepancies, particulalry between Garmin and Strava.

« Reply #26 on: 01 March, 2015, 07:15:31 am »
Vehicle transfer in the middle somewhere throwing the live tracker off?
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #27 on: 01 March, 2015, 07:29:19 am »
Vehicle transfer in the middle somewhere throwing the live tracker off?

I wondered about that but looking at the map traces on both instances, they appear to show a straight forward ride without transfers. The two traces appear identical. A transfer left in Garmin (unofficial) but edited out of Strava would explain the discrepancy but there is none.

red marley

« Reply #28 on: 01 March, 2015, 07:34:00 am »
I don't know what's up with the Garmin connect figure you give. No transfers I can see from the GPX trace. The point-to-point GPX distance I calculate to be 178.17 miles and the Garmin course 'lap' distance 178.11 miles Normally if there is a vehicle transfer I would expect there to be discrepancy between those two figures corresponding to the distance moved while not riding.

« Reply #29 on: 01 March, 2015, 10:25:20 am »
Does this mean that there will be another UMCA rule change/declaration/definition/clarification about switching the tracker off when moving via car?  ??? :facepalm:

This post is most definitely not trolling but I'd noticed this had happened a few days ago with Kurt.  I think both riders are phenomenal and wish them all the best and the last thing I wish to see is one or other discredited due to a rules bust!  However it is funny given that Steve talked with UMCA for so long about certification and got the 'rules' sorted, we then had the great booze debate after a bit of UMCA grumpiness after an inadvertent bottle appeared in a photo of TG, then Kurt admits to a bottle of beer at lunch and the rules get changed/clarified.

Methinks that the UMCA didn't really think things through as well as they could have  :o

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #30 on: 01 March, 2015, 10:35:45 am »
Interestingly, the UMCA's rule clarification allowed alcohol after the day's riding but specifically not during. Obviously a lunchtime beer is still a problem.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #31 on: 01 March, 2015, 10:56:03 am »
Interestingly, the UMCA's rule clarification allowed alcohol after the day's riding but specifically not during. Obviously a lunchtime beer is still a problem.
A beer (at home) after a hard day in the saddle is great to assist re-hydration and to induce sleep. But during a day's ride a definite No-No. Those are my Rules.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

« Reply #32 on: 01 March, 2015, 11:56:40 am »
I was on the Horsepower 200 helpers ride with teethgrinder yesterday. He looked like DETH warmed up in the morning but when I last saw him in the pub at arrivee he was fine and dandy again. It was the reverse for me though and I also felt like DETH warmed up at the end. 100km of headwind and sidewind from Snetterton to Great Dunmow! :o
Great to see him again and I'll be seeing him again when I'll be helping at the start of the calendar event of HP200.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #33 on: 01 March, 2015, 12:25:52 pm »
Kurt has just posted on FB that he doesen't understand the mileage discrepancy between Garmin / Strava. It looks like Garmin is correct. 215 miles.

« Reply #34 on: 01 March, 2015, 03:05:42 pm »
Kurt has just posted on FB that he doesen't understand the mileage discrepancy between Garmin / Strava. It looks like Garmin is correct. 215 miles.

I can't understand why this should be the case. I've looked for him on Garmin Connect but can't find him so don't have all the info.

Is he disputing the track on Strava as not start/finishing at the points he started and finished at? If not the track looks complete on Strava - no straight lines between points cutting corners where the GPS has lost its fix on the satellites (except when following straight roads).

I've mapped it with ridewithgps taking in to account any loops or back on forth on roads he has done. Apart from a small loop at the start there doesn't appear to be anything else like this and the total shown is just under 290km (180 miles) - in line with the Strava figure.

The Spot tracker could have thrown a wobbly and popped and erroneous point off course in leading it to over calculate distance (to and from his actual course) but that wouldn't explain why the mileage on Garmin Connect was out as well.

Also, does anyone know if is he relying on one Garmin device to upload to Strava or has he tried more than one and got the same result?

All very strange but if he using only one GPS then he'd be well advised to get another.

Just to add, I think Tommy had the right idea with a sealed mileometer - not subject to the vagaries of GPS tracking, Strava/Garmin uploads etc, but that's progress for you.

http://www.tommygodwin.com/photos/#

2nd pic along

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #35 on: 01 March, 2015, 03:45:25 pm »
158.4 miles on Strava  :)

I think I may have out-ground Teethgrinder yesterday with 201 miles  :smug:  I was also filming from the back of the bike for the first stage of that Essex ride and I have some good (~okay-ish) video footage of Steve passing and re-passing, and of most of the riders actually.  I am new to the whole home-video thing, though, and I'm still trying to work out what to do with it -- hopefully I will get some clips up somewhere soon.

Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #36 on: 01 March, 2015, 03:55:40 pm »
Great image.
Steve seems so much more in touch with, or part of his bike than the other guys.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #37 on: 01 March, 2015, 03:57:01 pm »

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #38 on: 01 March, 2015, 04:08:41 pm »
The garmin file looks like a ride time of about 9 ,hrs 12min so if he's trying to claim that the higher mileage is valid at an average of 23.5 mph for the day then good luck with that.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #39 on: 01 March, 2015, 04:34:37 pm »
Great image.
Steve seems so much more in touch with, or part of his bike than the other guys.

Thanks.  The video of this moment is much better: Steve just popped out from behind the group at the back and within about 10 seconds he was gone!  We caught him up the next hill, though -- in order to keep his HR low then he doesn't over-exert himself up hills (and after 200km he looked in way better shape than the rest of us).  The second leg was much flatter and once he got away then he stayed away.

« Reply #40 on: 01 March, 2015, 04:51:11 pm »
The garmin file looks like a ride time of about 9 ,hrs 12min so if he's trying to claim that the higher mileage is valid at an average of 23.5 mph for the day then good luck with that.

If you go to the Garmin trace, change the graph from 'Over Time' to 'Over Distance' then hover along the elevation trace it ends up at 178 miles at the end of the ride.  Basically the Garmin headline figure is just wrong.

« Reply #41 on: 01 March, 2015, 05:48:19 pm »

If you go to the Garmin trace, change the graph from 'Over Time' to 'Over Distance' then hover along the elevation trace it ends up at 178 miles at the end of the ride.  Basically the Garmin headline figure is just wrong.

Yes looks like a Garmin Connect problem.

Anyone got a Facebook account to post a message on

https://www.facebook.com/tarzanrides

to tell him he's messed up and not to try and claim the extra miles. Also remind him that he still hasn't edited out the 10km vehicle transfer from his ride on Jan 26th

« Reply #42 on: 01 March, 2015, 07:36:01 pm »
A beer (at home)...

...means Davenport's!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxT-X1duW4c

With apologies to Audaxers under 60 (70?) ;D
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #43 on: 01 March, 2015, 07:36:55 pm »
A beer (at home) after a hard day in the saddle is great to assist re-hydration and to induce sleep. But during a day's ride a definite No-No. Those are my Rules.

Shhh! I hope 3peaker doesn't look too closely at my receipts - I did one of his Perms today and had a pint at half way. I'd really struggled up till then but then flew the next 70km so it seemed to work. Or perhaps it had something to do with the wind direction...
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #44 on: 01 March, 2015, 07:39:26 pm »

Shhh! I hope 3peaker doesn't look too closely at my receipts - I did one of his Perms today and had a pint at half way. I'd really struggled up till then but then flew the next 70km so it seemed to work. Or perhaps it had something to do with the wind direction...
I did the Malvern 150km yesterday. A 4 pint rehydration session got me through the last 40 miles.  ;D

Chris S

« Reply #45 on: 01 March, 2015, 08:11:52 pm »
Goodness - is that Brian Mann (NOTP) at #2?

fboab and I were just mentioning him this very yesterday.

GO STEVE! (and Brian)

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #46 on: 01 March, 2015, 09:14:49 pm »

I believe so.

Chris S

« Reply #47 on: 01 March, 2015, 09:24:32 pm »

I believe so.

Well. That's just brill.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #48 on: 01 March, 2015, 09:54:10 pm »

GO STEVE! (and Brian)

I rode with Brian from Sudbury to Snetterton and funnily enough Chris you came up in the conversation as well!

Chris S

« Reply #49 on: 01 March, 2015, 09:58:24 pm »

GO STEVE! (and Brian)

I rode with Brian from Sudbury to Snetterton and funnily enough Chris you came up in the conversation as well!

Goodness me! Couldn't you find anything better to talk about?  :D