Author Topic: [HAMR] Who's next?  (Read 5343 times)

[HAMR] Who's next?
« on: 08 March, 2015, 10:45:08 am »
With the UMCA compiling a set of rules to validate the record, with Steve and Kurt attempts ongoing and the attempting this record feeling somewhat more real now, I have no doubt we will see more attempts in the coming years.

Has anyone seen anything on the grapevine suggesting someone has their eye on an attempt? Sort of along the lines of Steve's posts on here the last couple of years-not something you can decide to have a run at overnight on a whim!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Who's next?
« Reply #1 on: 08 March, 2015, 10:49:36 am »
Some bloke yclept William "IronOx" Pruett has expressed an interest.

External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

macnark

• Cake and Tea solves all.
« Reply #2 on: 08 March, 2015, 11:47:48 am »
yclept goes into my scrabble vocab - ta ;-)

« Reply #3 on: 08 March, 2015, 12:15:02 pm »
With the UMCA compiling a set of rules to validate the record, with Steve and Kurt attempts ongoing and the attempting this record feeling somewhat more real now, I have no doubt we will see more attempts in the coming years.

Has anyone seen anything on the grapevine suggesting someone has their eye on an attempt? Sort of along the lines of Steve's posts on here the last couple of years-not something you can decide to have a run at overnight on a whim!
Me. I'm a good talker in the bar when I've had a few. I could easily see an attempt being expressed there :-)
Garry Broad

paul851

« Reply #4 on: 08 March, 2015, 12:17:54 pm »
Isn't Bruce Berkeley thinking of giving it a go ?  I read something on Bicyclingto that effect .

« Reply #5 on: 08 March, 2015, 12:29:37 pm »
I would love a go at the women's record.  Although this would depend on A) me getting dumped as there is no way I'd loose a year of a wonderful relationship for it and B) me becoming financially independent so I wouldn't have to work.

Chances of A) unlikely, chances of B) slim to non-existent so it'll only be happening in my dreams. 

I would be able to crack the current women's record in the right circumstances (it's not exactly high when compared to the Tommy Godwin feat), but so would many many many other ladies across the globe.  It'll be fascinating to see who has a go first and how high the bar goes as I bet it'll be much higher than it is at the moment in a few years. 
Does not play well with others

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #6 on: 08 March, 2015, 12:33:14 pm »
I wouldn't be surprised if an Australian decides they need to go one better than a pommie  ;D
It would be quite interesting going for the yearly mileage, not the record, oh no chance :facepalm:, but just a comparison of yearly totals round the world.

I own a satellite tracker, but having to use/carry it all year would be a pain.
It's a shame Strava don't have a yearly total page, they have the monthly ones, so that should be possible.

« Reply #7 on: 08 March, 2015, 12:35:10 pm »
Isn't Bruce Berkeley thinking of giving it a go ?  I read something on Bicyclingto that effect .

Thanks for that. Sounds like it might be on the cards to me...another tracker to follow!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #8 on: 08 March, 2015, 12:39:29 pm »
I think Steve and Kurt have reignited interest in this record, I am sure there are people out there watching what is going on and learning from it for their own attempt.
Eddington Number 75

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #9 on: 08 March, 2015, 12:53:00 pm »

My work here is done 8)

« Reply #10 on: 08 March, 2015, 12:56:15 pm »
I think Steve and Kurt have reignited interest in this record, I am sure there are people out there watching what is going on and learning from it for their own attempt.

It's all come from Steve from what I can see.
If it wasn't for Steve, none of us would be talking about this would we?
Kurt probably wouldn't be riding either, would he?
And Tommy Goodwin's record would still be sitting on a shelf collecting dust.
Garry Broad

macnark

• Cake and Tea solves all.
« Reply #11 on: 08 March, 2015, 01:02:43 pm »
I too think Billie Dovey's record will be the one with the most takers - psychologically looks more do-able, but still a heck of a task.
Who are the likely ladies for that?

« Reply #12 on: 08 March, 2015, 01:07:25 pm »

It's all come from Steve from what I can see.
If it wasn't for Steve, none of us would be talking about this would we?

Kurt probably wouldn't be riding either, would he?
And Tommy Goodwin's record would still be sitting on a shelf collecting dust.
Yes, yes and yes again

I was thinking about this earlier. Steve's approach is engineered. Planned, 2 years of testing, obtaining sponsorship etc.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #13 on: 08 March, 2015, 01:40:11 pm »
It might be sensible for any would be record breaker to see how our two Knights of the road get on in the current attempts.
There will be a lot of information from the reporting of these that will inform others.

Maybe the highest number ever will be done by someone who can find a 330 straight road with a continuous 40mph tail wind and a luxurious campervan to return him/her to the start each night.
It is simpler than it looks.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14 on: 08 March, 2015, 01:49:57 pm »

My work here is done 8)

Mr ('Chalky') White taught me that word in or around 1973, when I was imposed with O Level English Literature and the Prologue to the Canterbury Tales.
(Or should this be in IanG's '41 Years Ago' thread?)

« Reply #15 on: 08 March, 2015, 03:38:37 pm »
I have spoken to three other contenders over the years. One in 2011 who actually set off and managed a staggering 800 miles. Another American who was dead set to go this year then stopped replying to any of my emails. Finally, one pretty high profile long distance rider enquired a few years back. I've also had a lot of people get in touch and then back off completely when I explain the logistics and ask what they've done in the past. They usually begin enthusiastically with "I enjoy cycling"  and the conversation dies when I show them the spreadsheet I have of riding averages required per day.

I do know that Kurt and William were well aware of this record before Steve came to the UMCA. But equally it was Steve's approach that properly got the ball rolling.

Finally, you may not know but there is a whole bunch of amazing ladies out there riding a tribute to Billie Fleming this year http://www.tributetobillie.co.uk/ I would not be surprised if this didn't kick off some interest from those who look much better in lycra

« Reply #16 on: 08 March, 2015, 03:47:55 pm »
Maybe the highest number ever will be done by someone who can find a 330 straight road with a continuous 40mph tail wind and a luxurious campervan to return him/her to the start each night.
Nullarbor plain.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #17 on: 08 March, 2015, 04:25:06 pm »

My work here is done 8)

Mr ('Chalky') White taught me that word in or around 1973, when I was imposed with O Level English Literature and the Prologue to the Canterbury Tales.
(Or should this be in IanG's '41 Years Ago' thread?)

I first encountered it in, of all places, Alistair McLean's "HMS Ulysses" at Christmas 1974.

« Reply #18 on: 08 March, 2015, 05:03:26 pm »
I would love a go at the women's record.  Although this would depend on A) me getting dumped as there is no way I'd loose a year of a wonderful relationship for it and B) me becoming financially independent so I wouldn't have to work.

Chances of A) unlikely, chances of B) slim to non-existent so it'll only be happening in my dreams. 

I would be able to crack the current women's record in the right circumstances (it's not exactly high when compared to the Tommy Godwin feat), but so would many many many other ladies across the globe.  It'll be fascinating to see who has a go first and how high the bar goes as I bet it'll be much higher than it is at the moment in a few years.
Aye, me for all that. I dunno though, I don't have the mental wherewithall to go round in circles like Steve does. I get bored of the same roads far too easily.
Bet you £500 million I wouldn't be a size 16 at the end of 12 months mind.
I think I'd miss the tandeming far too much.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #19 on: 08 March, 2015, 05:15:02 pm »
.... I get bored of the same roads far too easily....

Thaxted!  ;D :P
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #20 on: 08 March, 2015, 05:15:18 pm »
I think I'd miss the tandeming far too much.

Tandem record then!

Seeing as the UMCA have set some rules that (I assume) apply to solo male and female, it wouldn't take much to get them to sort out all the other categories...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #21 on: 08 March, 2015, 05:20:38 pm »
It'd be fairly easy (so to speak) to get the woman's record to 36,500 miles, provided work/ money wasn't a factor. Getting it much higher would be tough though.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #22 on: 08 March, 2015, 05:24:29 pm »
Nullarbor plain.
Good luck with the fuel supplies. Guess you'd have to use one of the roadhouses as a base camp.

I shudder to think how much fuel Tarzan is using in that camper van of his.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #23 on: 08 March, 2015, 05:33:51 pm »
It'd be fairly easy (so to speak) to get the woman's record to 36,500 miles, provided work/ money wasn't a factor. Getting it much higher would be tough though.
That's my feeling. 100 miles a day is achievable by almost anyone, but then again it's a bit like all those naysayers early on for Steve- "his speed's nothing special, I could do it if I didn't have a job/wife/kids".
I think when it comes down to it, even 100 miles EVERY SINGLE BLOODY DAY for a year is a lot harder than you think.

hillbilly

« Reply #24 on: 08 March, 2015, 05:57:15 pm »
I know one thing for certain, it won't be me  ;D

There is a reason why this record has stood for such a long time.  It's because the attributes needed are so far along the bell curve, that only a handful of riders are up to the task.  From Strava, there are a couple of possible contenders, but they'd need to *want* to do it.  One thing that marks out both Steve and Kurt is their determination to complete the task at hand.

I'd imagine someone from the southern hemisphere might give it a crack.  But, really, after this year I don't imagine there will be the same excitement.  Neil Armstrong vs whoever led the 2nd trip to the moon.