Author Topic: [HAMR] 19 March - Day 78  (Read 10336 times)

Re: 19 March - Day 78
« Reply #25 on: 19 March, 2015, 05:20:06 pm »
..., unless he stops somewhere for a cuppa.

...but if he's heading for Red Lodge...  ;)
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #26 on: 19 March, 2015, 05:24:19 pm »

"Dinner for 8, Mr Abraham?"   ;D

Is that dinner at eight, or dinner as if for 8 diners...?
They laughed when I said I was going to be a stand-up comedian. They're not laughing now.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #27 on: 19 March, 2015, 05:29:18 pm »
"Dinner for 8, Mr Abraham?"   ;D

Is that dinner at eight, or dinner as if for 8 diners...?

Both: I'm a-takin' no chances!   ::-)
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #28 on: 19 March, 2015, 06:06:19 pm »
...but if he's heading for Red Lodge...  ;)

He's heading for Newmarket by the looks of it.  The road from Newmarket to Cambridge is excellent for his style of riding, so I don't blame him.  Through Cambridge can be quick, but you have to know when to turn ... nope, scratch that, he's now heading off into Suffolk ...  :facepalm:

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #29 on: 19 March, 2015, 06:13:50 pm »
So, what's on the menu at wilkyboy towers tonight?
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #30 on: 19 March, 2015, 06:29:45 pm »
He seems to be heading for the highest point in Suffolk, near Chedburgh. 420' above sea level IIRC.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #31 on: 19 March, 2015, 06:36:09 pm »
So, what's on the menu at wilkyboy towers tonight?

For dinner, we are delighted to serve Mr Abraham with an apéritif of summer-fruits milk-o-protein shake, followed by a main of chicken-in-tomato-with-lots-of-veg'n'pasta — it's my own recipe using all-fresh ingredients (apart from a tin of toms).  And that will be served with garlic bread and a side salad as well. 

And for his other main course (I really wasn't joking!) we are offering Mr Abraham the option of jacket potato with a filling of his choice and finger-lickin' chickin. 

Dessert will be some of Mrs W's home-made chocolate brownies, plus a selection of oat-based and fruit-based cakes.  With a wafer-thin mint sliver of millionaire's shortbread to top it all off (the boys are especially looking forward to a bit o' that!).

A mug or two of tea is also anticipated.

Supper may be more milk-o-protein shake and a cheese toastie ...  ::-)

Anything that doesn't get eaten tonight will be optionally offered on the morrow to kick-start the day (alongside granola and possibly a fry-up), or to fill his pockets (we've got loads of things to offer for his pockets), or will be fed to the junior WBs in the evening (as Mrs W's away, I am looking for easy ways to feed them ;))

D'you think that will be enough for him?!  :o

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #32 on: 19 March, 2015, 06:38:18 pm »
Sounds yummy.

For some reason, I find myself insanely curious about what Steve is being fed whenever he stays with hosts!
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #33 on: 19 March, 2015, 06:45:23 pm »
It looks like he's looping back to Red Lodge and the homing-beacon route.  Probably looking for extra miles.  If I were him and wanted even more bonus miles — and I don't have any way of conveying this info to him — I would carry on from Wilburton to Haddenham and Earith (it's very flat) and then either directly on to St Ives, or indirectly to St Ives via Somersham.  And then from St Ives take the Cambridge Guided Busway service road for all-but the last 2km — it's very smooth, very flat, and very empty in the dark, plus no vehicular traffic is allowed on it.  And there are positional lights all the way down both sides — it's pretty serene to ride at night.  That would add on a further easy 20-25km or so.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #34 on: 19 March, 2015, 07:24:45 pm »
Sounds yummy.

For some reason, I find myself insanely curious about what Steve is being fed whenever he stays with hosts!

Hosts are given some guidance by Steve's team, but that's a list of basic audax food (except porridge ... and curry).  I figure he needs starchy carbs, protein, and lots of veg, with some happy food to top it off.  I  think there's enough stuff in the fridge to satisfy most other cravings beyond that.

« Reply #35 on: 19 March, 2015, 08:10:24 pm »
Well done Wilkyboy, sounds like you are doing Steve proud.

« Reply #36 on: 19 March, 2015, 08:20:02 pm »
indeed.   I get the impression that all the hosts have excelled.   :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #37 on: 19 March, 2015, 08:22:42 pm »
If I were him and wanted even more bonus miles — and I don't have any way of conveying this info to him — I would ...

Hmm, perhaps someone else does have a way of conveying the info: Steve's passed the turn in Willingham and I wouldn't be surprised if dinner's a further hour away  ::-)

On the upside — if Steve does go all the way to St Ives and back then his daily distance should be pretty healthy today  :thumbsup:

Update: looks like he may've missed the turn, as he's turned back towards the turn.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #38 on: 19 March, 2015, 08:27:14 pm »
And thanks — we're all just doing our bit for Steve  :)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #39 on: 19 March, 2015, 08:28:20 pm »
Hmm... he seems to have doubled back.

He seems to have picked up speed again in recent hours. I was concerned by yesterday's short day and lows speeds. I hope he's OK.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #40 on: 19 March, 2015, 08:45:28 pm »
Hmm... he seems to have doubled back.

He seems to have picked up speed again in recent hours. I was concerned by yesterday's short day and lows speeds. I hope he's OK.

That's the most urgent question Wilkyboy can ask Steve, after he cleared all the food of course ;)

« Reply #41 on: 19 March, 2015, 08:50:30 pm »
Personally I don't think Wilkyboy (or any host) should bother Steve with anything other than refuelling, sleep and getting him back on the road the next morning.

Questions like "so, what went wrong yesterday then?" should be the last thing on a host's mind.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

TGS

« Reply #42 on: 19 March, 2015, 09:08:06 pm »
Although conversation can naturally gravitate towards how he's feeling, how Kurt is doing, how the bikes are going etc.

Whilst I agree wholeheartedly with your point Wobbly, I think it's equally important that if the conversation does go into any sensitive area then it goes back to the team, not on here!

« Reply #43 on: 19 March, 2015, 09:11:17 pm »
Encouragingly, he seems to have picked up speed compared with yesterday and this morning.   :)

red marley

« Reply #44 on: 19 March, 2015, 09:14:14 pm »
I've no idea how connected Steve is to real world events while he is doing the OYTT, but Wilkyboy may wish to mention to him that should the clouds clear tomorrow morning, he can expect a rather stunning (80% or so) solar eclipse between 8 and 10 am.

« Reply #45 on: 19 March, 2015, 09:21:55 pm »
Just tell him:

there's a partial eclipse on Friday.  We know it's the sun hiding in the shadow of TG's achievements.

(from the "Some say..." thread)  ;D
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #46 on: 19 March, 2015, 09:31:31 pm »
325.9kms, 204.7 miles.

Excellent day Steve.    :thumbsup:

« Reply #47 on: 19 March, 2015, 09:32:51 pm »
top stuff
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #48 on: 19 March, 2015, 09:35:09 pm »
Good to see another double ton  :)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #49 on: 19 March, 2015, 09:36:33 pm »
I've no idea how connected Steve is to real world events while he is doing the OYTT, but Wilkyboy may wish to mention to him that should the clouds clear tomorrow morning, he can expect a rather stunning (80% or so) solar eclipse between 8 and 10 am.

I don't think it will be "stunning", I suspect that unless you knew it was happening you may not notice it at all, a bit darker and cooler than it should be but even that is not a sudden change. I remember the 1999 total which I saw near Rheims, that was exciting seeing the shadow of totality race across the fields towards us and then the diamond ring immediately before totality.

PS another great day, well done Steve!