Author Topic: [HAMR] 16th April - Teethgrinder - Day 106  (Read 6372 times)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
Re: 16th April - Teethgrinder - Day 106
« Reply #75 on: 17 April, 2015, 03:39:22 am »
In hoping that having "Marsh Gibbon " signs round the circuit won't attract any undue attention from the UMCA
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #76 on: 17 April, 2015, 08:47:14 am »
In terms of the climbing would it be worth looking at some of the old Beeching railway lines that have been changed into footpaths?  The High Peak trail for example from Middleton if pretty flat and could be down hill all the way back in the afternoon. similarly the Monsall trail is flattish over its length.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #77 on: 17 April, 2015, 02:02:23 pm »
Round my part of the UK they are usually unasphalted. In a trike that is much less comfortable and on a VTX even worse - I wouldn't fancy it, it might jar my fillings out.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #78 on: 17 April, 2015, 02:16:52 pm »
Yeah, while the High Peak / Monsal are admirably 'bentable, the surface is mostly hardpack, and a bit too rough for prolonged riding on a non-suspended trike.

The Bristol-Bath path would be better - flatter and a tarmac surface - but only outside of commuter hours.  It gets quite busy at certain times of day, and a trike would mean having to give way on the narrower bits.

I reckon tactical use of the Redways / MK Bowl is the best approach, if only because it's much closer to home should things go wrong.  A quiet housing or industrial estate could also work, once he has a bit more confidence with the trike.

« Reply #79 on: 17 April, 2015, 03:02:02 pm »
Go Go Gadget, err Steve!!
I dunno why anybody's doing this!

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #80 on: 19 April, 2015, 11:56:54 pm »
Teethgrinder supporting party at the MK Bowl on Saturday, then?

A party would be great, but I would decline any food, drink or help.
That kind of assistance could very well be seen as "crewing" and each "crew member" must sign a form for the UMCA. It could get me a 10 mile penalty or even possibly disqualified. I suspect that this is another "no alchohol" sort of thing, but I am not going to take the chance.
After all, I am very used to being self sufficient and can easily carry stuff to The Bowl in panniers and dump them while I ride around.
But by all means, have a party and have fun etc. Riding around with me will be OK, but you might not be able to handle the slow pace, unless you are Wowbagger.

We need to have a BIG party round the bowl on a day when Crew Chief Hoppo is around in which case the UMCA couldn't get their knickers in any sort of knot about him handing up SOSSIDGES on the grounds that he's fully certified etc. (and we could put reflective tape on the bangers just in case)!

P.S.

MARSH GIBBON!!!!!!!!!!!
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike