Author Topic: [HAMR] Steve's new diet  (Read 20604 times)

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
Re: Steve's new diet
« Reply #125 on: 02 December, 2015, 08:47:45 pm »
Worse than that, if I recall correctly tripe is in the top 118,206 causes of CANCER according to the Daily Mail.

Or was it the top 118,206 things that help you avoid cancer....  I can't remember.

Or was it the former on Monday and that latter 2 days later?

Or maybe the other way around.....

Go Steve

2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #126 on: 03 December, 2015, 01:06:51 am »

And henceforth starts a three page discussion about Steve's diabetes!!!

Regardless of how much sugar Steve's eating he wouldn't be able to cause himself diabetes - his blood sugar will have been very low because of all the calories he's consuming, not high at all. Stop talking such tripe.

<not a comment about Steve>
What do you think makes sugar move from the blood into the muscle and brain cells? It doesn't go by itself; AIUI it needs some insulin so a diabetic would still need SOME insulin in order to stay alive, if their insulin production was insufficient, however much exercise was causing the body to consume glucose.

The diabetics of this parish need insulin even on high exercise days...

I am not postulating about Steve's health.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #127 on: 03 December, 2015, 06:49:53 am »

What do you think makes sugar move from the blood into the muscle and brain cells? It doesn't go by itself; AIUI it needs some insulin so a diabetic would still need SOME insulin in order to stay alive, if their insulin production was insufficient, however much exercise was causing the body to consume glucose.

The diabetics of this parish need insulin even on high exercise days...

I beg to differ. As an insulin dependent diabetic I have no insulin at all if I'm riding a 200 or longer and can still bonk (often around the 80km mark) if I don't feed well enough. Only after the ride will my blood sugar soar. I'd always imagined that the sugar moves into muscle and brain by simple diffusion across a concentration gradient, but I might be wrong about that.

Once again, I'm not postulating about Steve's health, and I understand why you felt the need to state the same!
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #128 on: 03 December, 2015, 07:07:44 am »
Actually Helly, you are both right and wrong.  Brain doesn't use an insulin mediated glucose transfer but muscle does.

« Reply #129 on: 03 December, 2015, 07:07:54 am »
Insulin acts so as to enable blood sugar to cross cell membrane via a glucose `transporter` channel. Insulin binding to a receptor on cell membrane opens this channel. It is a very important hormone in regulating blood glucose level, and managing glycogen release/ formation in conjunction with glucagon which acts as a `balancing` hormone . It`s all a very well developed system of homeostasis.
Glucose may be able to cross cell membrane if very high levels in blood by passive diffusion, but long term high blood glucose levels can cause adverse health which is a reason that diabetics aim to keep a normal as possible blood sugar level through use of food (carbohydrate ) input balancing with exercise and insulin 

see http://www.endocrineweb.com/conditions/diabetes/normal-regulation-blood-glucose
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #130 on: 03 December, 2015, 07:45:09 pm »
Anyone fancy a pint?

(or a sausage?! )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #131 on: 03 December, 2015, 08:09:22 pm »
Anyone fancy a pint?

(or a sausage?! )

Hereford does a really nice cider and sausage festival late August so maybe Steve could put that in his 2016 diary ;D
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above