Author Topic: "CoastBoiled" 200 DIY for those of a Wessex persuasion  (Read 2538 times)

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
"CoastBoiled" 200 DIY for those of a Wessex persuasion
« on: 11 February, 2016, 12:50:15 pm »
This route combines Poole-Axminster part of the "Dorset Coast" with the Axminster - Poole part of the Hardboiled. Good for AAA. Done as Mandatory Route by GPS. If you're interested the track is linked below and it can be entered with SW DIY org Tony Hull as being "LIKE brevet 9709" or tweaked to suit. It measured 212k. Altitude gain logged as 4021m but could be reduced by AAA processing. I'll post the official points when I find out.

If you don''t know the return hills, hurry to the turn!

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/7823172
(reposted following correction - thanks Laid Back Rich)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: "CoastBoiled" 200 DIY for those of a Wessex persuasion
« Reply #1 on: 11 February, 2016, 03:09:37 pm »
Well, bugger me.

4021m

That's quite a lot, and that's 4021m of wessex special metres.  And those three monsters from the latter part of the Hard-Boiled.

Quite appealing as an idea.  I will have to go hurt myself on that at some point.

Good work and a great idea for a route. 

Well done!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Smeth

« Reply #2 on: 11 February, 2016, 03:53:10 pm »
I noticed that "ride with GPS" gives it 3700 odd metres. I think I read somewhere Garmins can over record. Nevertheless, the back is sore! Will post score when AAA man has done his wizardry.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #3 on: 11 February, 2016, 04:13:44 pm »
Anywhere in the upper 3000s for a 200 is serious in this country!  So whatever it ends up being, it'll be a hard day out I have no doubt.  We all know that the final leg of the hard-boiled is the stuff that Audax legends are made on!
Right! What's next?

hillbilly

« Reply #4 on: 11 February, 2016, 04:31:09 pm »
Looks like a lovely route.  I might also give it a wee run out later in the year.

BTW:
< 2,500 = deceptively flat
2,500 to 3,000 = pleasantly hilly
3,000 to 3,750 = hilly
3,750 to 4,500 = masochistic
>4,500 = I am ready for my medication, Nurse

Smeth

« Reply #5 on: 11 February, 2016, 04:44:11 pm »
Looks like a lovely route.  I might also give it a wee run out later in the year.

BTW:
< 2,500 = deceptively flat
2,500 to 3,000 = pleasantly hilly
3,000 to 3,750 = hilly
3,750 to 4,500 = masochistic
>4,500 = I am ready for my medication, Nurse

My personal scale is one step down from that with
>4500 = look after the wife and kids

unless it's nice alpine or pennine <8%

Nice of Dorset CC o place a single 20% sign on the route. Clearly any less doesn't count.

« Reply #6 on: 11 February, 2016, 05:50:10 pm »
This route combines Poole-Axminster part of the "Dorset Coast" with the Axminster - Poole part of the Hardboiled. Good for AAA. Done as Mandatory Route by GPS. If you're interested the track is linked below and it can be entered with SW DIY org Tony Hull as being "LIKE brevet 9709" or tweaked to suit. It measured 212k. Altitude gain logged as 4021m .....
https://ridewithgps.com/trips/7823172

The AUK software gave it 3947m. Now with the AAA Man for his assessment.

Entries (you qualify as sufficiently Audacious just by entering) are certainly welcome, as above. A couple of notes about such:

1.We are now definitely required to specify some checkpoints/controls even on mandatory routes, see the new "How to DIY" advice on the website... http://www.aukweb.net/diy/routes/   

2.The entry form will be modified to offer the "Mandatory Route" option, with a box for your route. Meanwhile, it's really helpful if you put the link to the route in one of the "checkpoint" boxes on the form, because then it stays permanently on the form; Put "Mandatory" in another of the boxes please.

Thanks!

Smeth

« Reply #7 on: 11 February, 2016, 06:03:35 pm »
Thanks Tonyh. Hope I wasn't premature in mentioning you.

For info of possible entrants I just named the relevant combined calendar controls as checkpoints i.e. Poole, Weymouth prom, Axminster, Maiden Newton.

« Reply #8 on: 11 February, 2016, 06:08:32 pm »
Thanks Tonyh. Hope I wasn't premature in mentioning you.

Not at all!

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #9 on: 12 February, 2016, 08:42:27 pm »
Chapeau! ...Good preparation for the Hardboiled / Dorset Coast weekend!?

That Axminster > Poole route is so much harder than actually riding from Axminster to Poole needs to be, it's the essence of the particular kind of fun that is Wessex Audaxing  :thumbsup:

If riders wanted to reduce the over distance, and the time pressure, I'd suggest submitting the route as being from the far side of the ferry, and back to long fleet garage.

Smeth

« Reply #10 on: 12 February, 2016, 11:36:29 pm »
Yes I'd shorten next time taking out the flat Poole bit.  I posted this as Mr Shaw said others might be interested. It was a reminder recce for the "double" weekend.  I timed a ferry dash precisely for the first ferry at 0700 to minimise time wasted, which was a bit of a risk, plus 10 minutes on the ferry. I was quite close to the time limit so no proper hot food stop, just a couple of shop stops. That extra 30-40 minutes or so would have reduced the stress level for sure, plus everything is better with bacon. I'm a slow but but dogged climber so others might have more time.

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #11 on: 12 February, 2016, 11:52:32 pm »
There is a downhill section going down into Maiden Newton (156 km called Whitesheet) As children we used to take our bikes up to the top and then compete to see who could free wheel the furthest into the village (you had to stop peddling at the village sign but that was academic).   
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #12 on: 13 February, 2016, 08:12:48 am »
The general advice for the hard boiled is that you should have at least 7 hours available for that last section from Axminster to Poole. Anything less and you are likely to risk being out of time.

I think it is about right for most riders to have a bit of a margin. That time soon goes as you grovel up (and down!) some of those lanes.
Right! What's next?

Smeth

« Reply #13 on: 14 February, 2016, 09:13:58 pm »
Scored at 3.75 AAA points.

« Reply #14 on: 15 February, 2016, 07:17:26 am »
 :)