Author Topic: [HAMR] Another go .. TG??  (Read 175293 times)

whosatthewheel

Re: Another go .. TG??
« Reply #575 on: 01 October, 2017, 05:17:16 pm »
and loos the site installation guys thought were rough!!

Trainspotting kind of rough?

« Reply #576 on: 02 October, 2017, 03:03:36 pm »
and loos the site installation guys thought were rough!!

Trainspotting kind of rough?

I got that impression, I wasn't brave enough to check them out!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #577 on: 11 October, 2017, 07:58:40 am »
Steve did enough laps of  a section of road between Leighton Buzzard and Houghton Regis yesterday to wear out the tarmac.
A change of tactics? Or just dictated by the conditions of the day?
https://www.strava.com/activities/1224593516

« Reply #578 on: 11 October, 2017, 10:09:44 am »
Steve did enough laps of  a section of road between Leighton Buzzard and Houghton Regis yesterday to wear out the tarmac.
A change of tactics? Or just dictated by the conditions of the day?
https://www.strava.com/activities/1224593516

It was the discovery by a member of the team of that as a suitable circuit, with nearby food and reasonable traffic most of the time.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #579 on: 11 October, 2017, 10:35:08 am »
The altitude shows that the track rose up each time he did it :D

I though maybe he was trying out a new piece of kit and wanted to be sure of it.
Getting there...

« Reply #580 on: 12 October, 2017, 11:09:45 am »
He's been doing that for the last month or so.

Oddly his mileage seems to have gone down if anything. He seems to have settled into a routine of leaving late morning and bashing out exactly 200 miles, which is the bare minimum to equal Tommy/Kurt. It could be very close if he doesn't ramp the mileage up a bit.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #581 on: 18 October, 2017, 06:08:32 am »

Quote from: grahamparks link=topic=97746.msg2216948#msg2216948 date=1507802985 It could be very close if he doesn't ramp the mileage up a bit.
[/quote

When the winter arrives the milage will go down, not up. It will add some drama

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #582 on: 18 October, 2017, 09:56:30 am »
I've been conflating the Kurt and Tommy records as similar targets, but Steve needs something like 199 miles/day for Tommy's and 206 miles/day for Kurt's. Unless we see an uptick in miles from his now very consistent 200/day it looks like he's only aiming for Tommy's.

« Reply #583 on: 18 October, 2017, 10:28:22 am »
Some remarks about UMCA:

A few days ago the UMCA altered their "official results" spreadsheet. There was not much change, some entries were obviously corrections of typing errors (e.g. the mileage on March 14th was 231.7 and is 237.1 now). Overall mileage went down by around 70 miles.

This is good on one hand, as the UMCA-results are very transparent now, they almost exactly equal Steve's Strava-entries. My inofficial Strava-based spreadsheet and UMCA's official results are only 2 miles apart now (which might be caused by my Kilometer-miles-conversion)

But this is bad on the other hand:
I always expected UMCA to have access to more detailed (tracker-)data, so that their official results should be derived by deeper examination (I expected this to be the reason for the sometimes huge delays of their official results).
Steve's Strava-uploads contain some obvious errors due to bad gps-signals when his bike was not moving during long rests, but gps falsely detected movement (see picture below from his ride on October 12th). I do not think that Steve's miles are substantially overestimated (I guess the overall error is hardly triple-digit), but I am disappointed that UMCA does not check the data more thoroughly. The official results are unfortunately less reliable than I thought. I do not need an official sanctioning body for adding up Strava-entries, I can do that myself (and I am confident that I make less (typing-)mistakes).

« Reply #584 on: 18 October, 2017, 12:33:31 pm »
As to whether dither when stationary makes any significant difference - I don't know the absolute size of these dithers.  The tracker data if anything is less detailed, so I think we just have to live with the limitations of the technology.  Unless you want to volunteer to write a stationary-dither-cleaning routine for GPX files.

Looking at that specific GPS wandering (looks like the bike was brought inside as the temp goes up from 12 to 23 deg C): https://www.strava.com/activities/1227517158/analysis/19780/20762

5:36:12 was at distance 170.2km
7:00:14 was at distance 173.5km

So that particular stop added 2 miles.

But this seems to be the exception, looking at other stops (where the bike remains outside) the wandering is only a couple of hundred meters.

I too am surprised that UMCA just take the data as is without performing any other validation/cleaning on it.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #585 on: 18 October, 2017, 02:12:25 pm »
There were three errors:  Typos on Mar 14 (231.7 for 237.1) and Sept 20 (245.2 for 242.5).  In addition they had a spurious 80.5 miles on 7 Jul.  They've corrected these, but in so doing have also replaced the formerly correct value of 164.9 on Sep 14 with an erroneous 172.5.  Why ... I don't know.

Thank you for your clarification! Sep 14 was the day when Steve commented on Strava:
„To add insult to injury, both of my GPSs stuffed up which is why this track has a straight line. It's robbed me of about 52 miles.“

164.9 miles ist the Strava-ride which contains about 13 irregular miles (the „straight line“). I do not know what data UMCA used but it is not implausible that this particular day was corrected.

As to whether dither when stationary makes any significant difference - I don't know the absolute size of these dithers.  The tracker data if anything is less detailed, so I think we just have to live with the limitations of the technology.  Unless you want to volunteer to write a stationary-dither-cleaning routine for GPX files. 

Normally the wandering is only a couple of hundred meters, as Greenbank says. Slightly bigger errors occured mainly, when Steve recorded 24 hours nonstop and had a long intermediate break. A quick check let me find examples of GPS-errors on Sep 9 (2.5 miles), Sep 18 (1 mile), Oct 8 (2.5 miles) and Oct 12 (see above). No big issue, but there was definitely need for data validation in Kurt’s and Steve’s attempts 2015 (not to mention Bruce Berkeley and Miles Smith) and I am unhappy when I lose confidence in UMCA’s reliability. I can srutinise but I would prefer not to feel the need to do it.

A „stationary-dither-cleaning routine for GPX files“ is not hard to obtain if you have the underlying datapoints. You can also reduce the problem when you set a minimum speed on your device below which no movement is recorded (which is possible an a Garmin Edge as used by Steve).

whosatthewheel

« Reply #586 on: 20 October, 2017, 01:26:02 pm »
So now it's all mini-loops? I was looking forward to seeing where he'd been while having my morning coffee, but now it's pointless...  ::-)

« Reply #587 on: 27 October, 2017, 03:05:52 pm »
If you're searching for sources of error, it's also worth noting that Strava rounds down to the nearest one decimal place.  That means that there's are loads of .0x miles that get trimmed off.  But they don't get trimmed off Strava's aggregated totals.
That is only a display feature.  It holds the exact mileage and uses that to calculate weekly/monthly/challenge totals.  You can see the data to 2dp through Veloviewer.

« Reply #588 on: 30 October, 2017, 08:33:52 am »
I don't trust the mileages on Strava.

On sun I ran a route, same route I ran previous sun, apart from a very small dog leg omitted where I took a wrong turn across York racecourse. Strava recorded the two runs as being 200m different in length - I reckon their couldn't have been more than 100m in it at most. I reckon there is a lot of rounding going on, and when you are in areas with high trees and buildings maybe some jitter. Some of my speeds seemed a bit unrealistic, too.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #589 on: 30 October, 2017, 09:00:28 am »
A slightly better week just completed (206 miles/day), but balanced by a below average week just before (194 miles/day).

He's now on 50,132 miles with 125 days to go. He needs 207.6 miles/day to beat Kurt, 199.5 miles/day to beat Tommy, and 107 miles/day to beat his 2015 record - at current progress he'll reach this a few days into the new year.

« Reply #590 on: 31 October, 2017, 03:35:52 pm »
Please do not take this the wrong way - and I am indeed impressed by any cyclist who goes out for a record particularly of of this magnitude - but is it possible that those who are posting on this thread about one man's cycling endeavour - and the exhaustingly minute details they provide of his mileages - need to get a life?

« Reply #591 on: 31 October, 2017, 03:55:01 pm »
Swampthing said: "I always expected UMCA to have access to more detailed (tracker-)data, so that their official results should be derived by deeper examination (I expected this to be the reason for the sometimes huge delays of their official results)."

To be fair, UMCA - or the new name it operates under - is suffering from a diminishing number of volunteers and the one person who was handling the web site - Shu - is quitting, so you should not expect to see 'detailed tracker data' unless you want to volunteer to do it. Chris Hopkinson is the new president and I am sure he will welcome your stepping up to the job of web guru.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #592 on: 02 November, 2017, 01:26:05 pm »
Please do not take this the wrong way - and I am indeed impressed by any cyclist who goes out for a record particularly of of this magnitude - but is it possible that those who are posting on this thread about one man's cycling endeavour - and the exhaustingly minute details they provide of his mileages - need to get a life?

I think the all AUK debate about Accumulated Altitude Awards (AAA to you and me) has gone a bit flat, so there is plenty of room at the bottom for a touch of "tetrapiloctomy" in a different context

« Reply #593 on: 02 November, 2017, 03:04:12 pm »
"..tetrapiloctomy.."  ???

I had to look that up in the OED, couldn't find it though. Can you give me a hint?   ::-)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #594 on: 02 November, 2017, 03:07:05 pm »
"..tetrapiloctomy.."  ???

I had to look that up in the OED, couldn't find it though. Can you give me a hint?   ::-)

Been there, done that:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tetrapiloctomy
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #595 on: 02 November, 2017, 03:08:04 pm »
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #596 on: 02 November, 2017, 04:31:29 pm »
"As the component parts come respectively from Greek, Latin and Greek it’s a miscegenated linguistic sandwich that no self-respecting scholar would invent, which is no doubt why Umberto Eco found it to be appropriate."

That's me then.  ;D

whosatthewheel

« Reply #597 on: 02 November, 2017, 04:53:33 pm »
It's a good word... I've got more  8)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #598 on: 02 November, 2017, 07:19:25 pm »
Your one sentence using that ridiculous word has led me to massively  upgrade my probability of ever reading an Umberto Eco book  ;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

whosatthewheel

« Reply #599 on: 02 November, 2017, 08:29:44 pm »
Your one sentence using that ridiculous word has lead me to massively  upgrade my chances of ever reading an Umberto Eco book  ;D

... as well as "Luther Blissett  Q"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_(novel)