Author Topic: Cinelli spinaci bar extensions  (Read 10440 times)

Cinelli spinaci bar extensions
« on: 09 June, 2015, 11:07:40 pm »
I'm considering getting some cinelli spinaci bar extensions as an alternative to the tri bars that I used for flatter audexes, particularly when there's a good chance of a headwind.  They're also nice to give an alternative hand position and to stretch out the back.

I am looking for an alternative to the tri bars as I dont like that the pads block the top bar off from the hands and limit mounting options for lights.

Does anyone use spinacis and can comment on their suitability for the purposes of battling into headwinds and in giving a comfortable alternative hand position?

I may well end up getting some anyway to try out as they're crazy cheasp at planet x right now I've little to lose.
Up the hills and round the bends

Re: Cinelli spinaci bar extensions
« Reply #1 on: 10 June, 2015, 11:03:32 am »
I have some on my fixie, they're great, if i coudl get some in 31.4 id buy some for the road bike in a heartbeat!

The aero advantage is really noticable. :-)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 10 June, 2015, 11:06:59 am »
As used by Popeye.  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3 on: 10 June, 2015, 11:09:28 am »
I have some on my fixie, they're great, if i coudl get some in 31.4 id buy some for the road bike in a heartbeat!

The aero advantage is really noticable. :-)

Thanks!

Do you use any sort of additional padding on the top bar?  Also what sort of angle do you have them set up at: straight out, bracket at 45degrees & extensions horizontal or something else?

« Reply #4 on: 10 June, 2015, 12:02:00 pm »
No extra padding - i have them set with the connectors angled down about 40ish degrees and the bars horizontal (maybe a time slope upwards)

i don't find that i need padding as i tend not to drop my arms to the bars but use them in a "superman" type arms outstretched position or just in a position like "riding on the hoods but narrower profile" on the occasions where i do put my wrists on the bar tape its not for long generally. Hope that makes sense. i am thinking of putting bar tape on the extensions as they get a bit cold with bare metal and coudl be slippy when wet...

« Reply #5 on: 10 June, 2015, 12:41:29 pm »
As written above, not available for oversize (31.8) bars.
An alternative is the short bars currently seen in triathlons.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deda-metal-blast-clip-on-alloy-aerobars/

« Reply #6 on: 10 June, 2015, 12:55:01 pm »
As written above, not available for oversize (31.8) bars.
An alternative is the short bars currently seen in triathlons.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deda-metal-blast-clip-on-alloy-aerobars/

But they are made for 26mm. 31.8 is only in the clamping area, they then taper down to 26mm (as I understand it) so should work with modern bars.

Spinaci on planet x (ignore the 22.2 diameter, that refers to the diameter of the spinaci bars). £7.99

alternatively the very similar 3TTT Tiramisu for £3.99.

I've bought a pair and will try them out at some point.

« Reply #7 on: 11 June, 2015, 09:03:38 am »
But they are made for 26mm. 31.8 is only in the clamping area, they then taper down to 26mm (as I understand it) so should work with modern bars.

I think it depends on the bars.  The Ritchey ones I have on my Canyon are certainly a larger diameter on the tops of the bar than the FSA Omega I used to have on my previous bike.  Whether there is enough of a taper to fit a 26mm clamp in the correct position will probably depend on the bar.

I do have a classic Merckx Corsa Extra which has Cinelli Giro d'Italia bars on, so I might get a set of the light ones to put on that.  I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on them when you get them.

« Reply #8 on: 11 June, 2015, 09:07:11 am »
I do have a classic Merckx Corsa Extra which has Cinelli Giro d'Italia bars on, so I might get a set of the light ones to put on that.  I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on them when you get them.

I'll let you know how I get on.  They're going to get fitted next week.  I did consider fitting them for this weekend's 200 but think I'll stick with the tri bars for that and not experiment with the spinacis while on a big ride.  That said I may yet change my mind, particularly as the wind is not looking too bad!

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #9 on: 11 June, 2015, 09:20:13 am »
A good trick is to cut a short piece of tubing - an off-cut from a carbon seat pillar is ideal - to jam-fit between the two clamped ends of the Cinellis.  This becomes a mini-lighting bar, which can be useful if the Cinelli clamps are occupying space where lights would normally be fitted.  That's a fantastic price you've found by the way - though I think I'd pay the extra for the silver ones!
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #10 on: 11 June, 2015, 12:26:46 pm »
A good trick is to cut a short piece of tubing - an off-cut from a carbon seat pillar is ideal - to jam-fit between the two clamped ends of the Cinellis.  This becomes a mini-lighting bar, which can be useful if the Cinelli clamps are occupying space where lights would normally be fitted.  That's a fantastic price you've found by the way - though I think I'd pay the extra for the silver ones!

Kinda what I did in the early 00's when I was mtb trailquesting, tho' they were cheap knockoffs I bought just for the clamps - ditch the curvy bits and fit a section of cut-down handlebar into the two clamps instead, sat nicely under the map holder :)
Tho' that was the era of narrow, flat mtb bars, think I might have trouble using the same approach with modern riser bars...

« Reply #11 on: 11 June, 2015, 04:27:21 pm »
Well, I couldn't wait, so the bars are on.

It was actually quite a faff to fit them. Firstly the clamps were for a narrower bar than my 26mm bars, presumably 25.4.  I filed them out to fit.  I also needed slightly longer bolts to secure the clamps which fortunately I had.

Not tried them on the road yet but they feel like they should be pretty comfortable.  Will report back when I've put some miles on them.

If I do keep them I think I'll be respraying them black!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12 on: 11 June, 2015, 08:12:07 pm »
Possibly 23.8mm, to fit the handlebar that is normally under the handlebar tape.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #13 on: 15 June, 2015, 05:07:41 pm »
Used them on a 200 at the weekend and I think I like them.  The position is surprisingly different to tri-bars but I did feel the similar 1mph or so boost in speed that I would get on the tri-bars.

One nice thing about the position was that because it's not as tucked it was good for getting my shoulders on my back and giving them a nice stretch.

I found I could sustain relatively long periods (10 minutes or so) with the forearms resting on the top bars and didn't find it particularly uncomfortable at all really.

They're certainly great for give a variety of hand positions - holding the fronts, with forearms on the tops, holding the fronts arms outstretched, and holding onto the sides.  I appreciated that variety particularly towards the end of the ride when the aches and pains were getting a bit more noticeable.

I'm going to keep them on the bike for now, first impressions definitely positive.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #14 on: 02 October, 2015, 10:14:56 pm »
They have a similar shape to butterfly bars, but placed centrally.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #15 on: 14 November, 2015, 08:17:48 pm »
Looking to buy some of these or some other type of mini aerobars. Is anybody still using these and would care to post a little review?

« Reply #16 on: 19 November, 2015, 12:50:32 pm »
Looking to buy some of these or some other type of mini aerobars. Is anybody still using these and would care to post a little review?

I liked mine.  They stayed on my bike until I replaced the handlebars which meant they would no longer fit.  If I could get a pair that fitted to oversize bars I would definitely still be using them.

I found the position useful and comfortable.  Not as comfortable as proper aero bars but enough to stay down on them for 10 minutes or so.

I thought it was great that they left unfettered access to the tops (unlike tri bars) and otherwise didn't get in the way.  They're very lightweight too.

For the price they are now you may as well just get a pair, or the 3TTT tiramisu extensions which look identical.