Author Topic: Team Ineos  (Read 4078 times)

Team Ineos
« on: 19 March, 2019, 04:13:47 pm »
Team Sky now = Team Ineos

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/47629760

Ratcliffe, chairman and chief executive of Ineos, said: "Cycling is a great endurance and tactical sport that is gaining ever more popularity around the world.

"Equally, cycling continues to mushroom for the general public as it is seen to be good for fitness and health, together with easing congestion and pollution in city environments.

"Ineos is delighted to take on the responsibility of running such a professional team."
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
Re: Team Ineos
« Reply #1 on: 19 March, 2019, 04:40:38 pm »
Surely Ineos won’t be “running” the team, they’ll just be the headline sponsor?

« Reply #2 on: 19 March, 2019, 05:02:27 pm »
Petrochemical tycoon running a cycling team. Very 21st century. ::-)
often lost.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #3 on: 19 March, 2019, 05:23:42 pm »
Surely Ineos won’t be “running” the team, they’ll just be the headline sponsor?

Quote from: BBC
Ineos will become the sole owners of the team from 1 May and says it "will continue to fund the current team in full, honouring all existing commitments to riders, staff and partners".

More than just sponsor by the look of things.

« Reply #4 on: 20 March, 2019, 10:54:54 am »
they buy the whole thing just as SKY did. It's not just a sponsorship but an ownership.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 20 March, 2019, 12:20:25 pm »
How many "Sky Cycling" staff were previously employed by Sky (the media/etc company)?

Does it make any real difference - as long as 1 entity is paying the lion's share of the bills? IAMFI!

[Also, I suspect there aren't many cycling professionals on proper full-time contracts at - say - a Grand Tour.]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #7 on: 09 July, 2020, 10:07:31 am »
#Breaking Four-time Tour de France winner Chris Froome is leaving Team Ineos at the end of the season, the team have announced https://twitter.com/pasport/status/1281152388351606785
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #8 on: 09 July, 2020, 11:16:13 am »
... and he's going to Israel Startup Nation, which should surprise no-one ever.

« Reply #9 on: 09 July, 2020, 11:33:11 am »
Wants to be team leader and rightly so. I wonder though if Thomas would really be able to challenge Bernal late into a grand tour next year. I think Ineos will have only one egg in the basket by then.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #10 on: 09 July, 2020, 12:49:25 pm »
Pensioned off more like.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #11 on: 09 July, 2020, 12:58:08 pm »
From one toxic brand, to another...

« Reply #12 on: 09 July, 2020, 01:04:49 pm »
"Israel Startup Nation" (cycling team)

Haha.

Nah... looked it up...bloody hell, there is such a thing  :o

« Reply #13 on: 09 July, 2020, 01:12:42 pm »
* Wonders if Froome will 'occupy' another teams support vehicle  :demon:
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

« Reply #14 on: 09 July, 2020, 03:41:50 pm »
Who would qualify as Froome's superdomq?  Dowsett, Martin?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #15 on: 09 July, 2020, 06:25:24 pm »

You're gonna have to enlighten me...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #16 on: 10 July, 2020, 01:01:39 am »
Wants to be team leader and rightly so. I wonder though if Thomas would really be able to challenge Bernal late into a grand tour next year. I think Ineos will have only one egg in the basket by then.
i think sky had two or three years of their TDF GC rider crashing out early (I think Wiggins once, Froome twice - could be wrong).  G can race with a broken pelvis and after knocking telegraph poles down with his head (well, he does wear a helmet), not sure E is immune to crashes.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #17 on: 14 July, 2020, 01:29:37 pm »
Froome has been linked to a move to ISN for a long time.  The latter are in the position Sky were in ~10 years ago: they're new money and they're buying up riders.

Thomas isn't as good as Bernal and he wasn't as good as Froome pre-crash.  He also has the same age problem as Froome: even if he were as good as Bernal (which he isn't), Ineos would bet on the rider that can deliver wins for the next several years rather than the one that still soon be retired.

Remember Wiggins being forced out by Froome?  Welcome to the same drama, seven years down the line.

« Reply #18 on: 14 July, 2020, 02:13:37 pm »
I agree.  I do think you need to add the possibility that E will crash out of a GT (or in preparation for one) in the next two years which would leave G as the #1 rider in what is still the best team.  If you're G you aren't going for six TDF titles, but another GT win would be huge for him and Ineos can deliver that for him outside of the Tour and also possibly in the Tour if things don't work out for the #1 rider.

Chris may be onto the new Ineos team, but I think it will take them at least a year to settle and maybe as long as three to build up the rider power necessary to beat Ineos.  What Chris could do though is play a Mark and simply sit on the Ineos train (maybe with a #2 rider to help out) and attack from there.  The Ineos tactics that work for Egan will suit Chris.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #19 on: 22 July, 2020, 11:58:41 am »
Team Ineos to be renamed Ineos Grenadier - https://twitter.com/PolkaDotRob/status/1285888349769793537 :)

Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #20 on: 22 July, 2020, 12:38:45 pm »
Have these people not heard that he is moving production to the Mercedes Smart car factory in France? Perhaps it should be called the Ineos Grenadine.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #21 on: 22 July, 2020, 12:44:20 pm »
TV's G Imlach will still be calling them "T $ky" until at least 2023 though.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #22 on: 22 July, 2020, 12:47:13 pm »
I agree.  I do think you need to add the possibility that E will crash out of a GT (or in preparation for one) in the next two years which would leave G as the #1 rider in what is still the best team.  If you're G you aren't going for six TDF titles, but another GT win would be huge for him and Ineos can deliver that for him outside of the Tour and also possibly in the Tour if things don't work out for the #1 rider.

Chris may be onto the new Ineos team, but I think it will take them at least a year to settle and maybe as long as three to build up the rider power necessary to beat Ineos.  What Chris could do though is play a Mark and simply sit on the Ineos train (maybe with a #2 rider to help out) and attack from there.  The Ineos tactics that work for Egan will suit Chris.

There was a time G was a bit stronger built and was doing well in the Spring Classics. I know it's a different thing because it's the tour so different riders were up the front but he placed well in the Roubaix stage the year he won. It was always a disappointment Sky and evidently so far Ineos had limited interest in anything other than winning the Tour. If G isn't going to place well in a GT any more he should look at the Spring Classics. Strong TT riders with good racing brains do well on cobbles (it usually worked for Cancellara) - although he'd have to leave because Ineos wouldn't have the type of team to support him
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped