Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 459820 times)

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
Re: Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)
« Reply #2450 on: 29 July, 2015, 02:17:36 pm »
GWS Kurt
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2453 on: 30 July, 2015, 08:32:34 am »
Couple more videos gone up on FB.  A bit behind, but Days 168&169.
Getting there...

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2454 on: 03 August, 2015, 10:18:38 am »
I'm increasingly admiring Kurt's consistency despite his various problems.  He continues to log more miles than targeted each day, which has now got the mpd to go under 201 and, in a week or so at current pace will drop it below the psychological important (though still physically terrifying) 200mpd.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2455 on: 03 August, 2015, 11:47:06 am »
I'm surprised that in today's analysis post, jo didnt mention Kurt's line creeping above the x-axis.

(I assume this is the same as the required mpd dropping below 201 ... but it could be one of those odd numerical/visual oddities. My brain's not upto deciding which this morning! )

As you say, CET, sneaking under 200mpd will be a big morale boost.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2456 on: 03 August, 2015, 11:57:28 am »
I'm surprised that in today's analysis post, jo didnt mention Kurt's line creeping above the x-axis.
Are you looking at Godwin's 1939 line?  Kurt's line crept over the x-axis (meaning that he's got a daily target of less than 1 Godwin) several weeks ago.

red marley

« Reply #2457 on: 03 August, 2015, 12:06:00 pm »
Indeed. The thin grey line (Tommy Godwin) hits his own annual average pace in a week's time. Kurt passed the Godwin line in mid-June, at about the point Miles restarted. The next significant crossing, apart from Kurt needing less than 200 mpd will be if/when Tommy overtakes Kurt in his average mileage. At the rate Kurt is riding, this might never happen, but if it does Kurt's blue line would most likely intersect with Tommy's grey line around October (after that point, Tommy eases off considerably and Kurt could comfortably be doing 180 mile days and still be ahead). In fact, that is one of the remarkable aspects of Kurt's performance - he is the only rider to remain consistently ahead (excluding days 3 and 4) of Tommy throughout the year.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2458 on: 03 August, 2015, 12:11:09 pm »
Doh!

Thanks for the corrections chaps ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #2459 on: 10 August, 2015, 12:42:27 pm »
I saw from Jo's excellent OYTT analysis that Kurt has passed Ossie Nicholson's 1933 attempt and wonder if he will get a morale boost from progressively passing other previous attempts such as:

Walter Greaves: 45383
Bernard Bennett (1937): 45801
Rene Menzies: 61561
Ossie Nicholson: 62657
and Bernard Bennett (1939): 65127

I also see that his target miles per day is gradually reducing (now 200.5).  But with only 150-odd days to go a 230 mile day will reduce the daily target by 0.2 of a mile, so likely that he will get below 200mph target soon enough.  Whether or not Steve manages to beat Tommy's record, he has certainly inspired a re-emergence of a record that had been in the doldrums for 68 years (a lot longer than the UCI had managed to neglect the World Hour Record)

Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2460 on: 10 August, 2015, 01:15:52 pm »
Steve is indeed inspirational and it is such a massive shame that his initial effort was cut short by a piss-head. I wonder where he would have been now if he hadn't been injured.

But starting again must take a determination which is impossible for most of us to comprehend.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2461 on: 10 August, 2015, 01:40:51 pm »
From Alicia on Facebook:

Kurt has had this annoying cough and chest irritation going on for a while now. He tried the recumbent yesterday, but that didn't last long. He has an appointment to see a doctor on Wednesday. His motivation, energy and spirits were low yesterday. I had to help him get out of this funk. So, I told him to find an area I could park the van and we both could ride. We cruised around Fox Lake enjoying the scenery like tourists. His spirits lifted and he was off again. Yeah! He wanted to end his ride at this outdoor pub/restaurant we had passed so many times (we NEVER have time to eat out or go to dinner). I was to jump ahead and meet him there, but it was packed with a long wait. Oh well... I'm really proud of him for staying on his bike. It was a long day and he got through it. He did it... again. ~ Alicia
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #2462 on: 10 August, 2015, 04:04:40 pm »
Steve is indeed inspirational and it is such a massive shame that his initial effort was cut short by a piss-head. I wonder where he would have been now if he hadn't been injured.

But starting again must take a determination which is impossible for most of us to comprehend.

I think Jo's analysis on the 'Thoughts' thread is spot-on. Also, Helen's quote from Alicia above shows how useful and motivational the support of a loved one can be; the fact that she's with Kurt all day every day probably makes a huge difference when compared with Steve's necessarily solo approach. Diff'rent strokes, of course.

« Reply #2463 on: 11 August, 2015, 04:08:40 pm »

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #2464 on: 12 August, 2015, 10:25:37 am »
Another 2 days at 228 mpd as Kurt did yesterday or 3 days at 216mpd and the target will be less than 200mpd

red marley

« Reply #2465 on: 12 August, 2015, 10:52:57 am »
I notice that Kurt and Steve have matched their distances exactly in the last two days. Is this a strategy or coincidence? (probably the latter, but Kurt is certainly aware of Steve's daily distances as he rides and Steve is aware of Kurt's current daily targets).

One of the (small) advantages Kurt has, that I hadn't really appreciated until watching the vids, is that towards the end of the day with vehicle support he can stop at any time. This gives him much more flexibility than always having to aim for MK. For example, with no place to target if he's been riding up a steady 10km upward stretch of road, he can easily turn around and finish the day with 10km downhill warmdown. Or if Alicia tells him that Steve put in an extra 20km today, he can push on for another 45 minutes if he feels able.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #2466 on: 12 August, 2015, 01:05:30 pm »
I wouldn't have thought that Steve's mileages are very relevant to Kurt any more, unless he and Alicia feel they're a motivation simply on a daily basis. I suspect it's simply coincidence; after all, they're both aiming for roughly the same mpd anyway. But Alicia's support, and the RV, are worth their weight in gold!

StevieB

• I'm an embarrassment to my bicycle!
« Reply #2467 on: 12 August, 2015, 03:16:50 pm »
I don't want to pick on Jo's comment, but I noticed a trend on these pages suggesting Kurt has it 'easy' compared to Steve - ideal weather, riding downhill with a tail-wind, etc. Alicia's videos suggest Kurt experiences extremes of weather that we rarely if ever see in the UK. Also Kurt spends a lot of time riding loops, which I put down to the poor riding surface and heavy traffic on most roads he encounters, so when he does find a nice smooth quiet road he tends to stick with it - even if it cancels out the uphill/downhill and headwind/tailwind factors.

As for stopping at night, both riders face the same decision on whether to pass a comfortable bed and do an extra loop.

The terrain and conditions are different, and each rider tries to make the best of what they know based on 30+ years of cycling experience. But I think we (the gawpers, as opposed to the riders) should remember any “advantage” does not add or subtract one inch from the distances riden.
It may be self-flagellation, but it still hurts

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #2468 on: 12 August, 2015, 03:29:20 pm »
I think there was a degree of suspicion about Kurt at the outset. Steve was hacking unsupported through an icy British Winter - often in darkness and mostly alone and frequently in challenging terrain whereas Kurt was under a Florida sun on pancake flat roads with a support vehicle. And, to cap it off, Kurt seemed to be mirroring Steve's distances each day. Icy British Winter hills are something we're familiar with in a cycling context -whereas Florida is where people go on holiday for sun. A lazy association but understandable.

But eight months and tens of thousands of miles in, I don't think anyone has any lingering suspicions that Kurt is anything other than an outstanding sportsman and a hell of a cyclist.

Chris S

« Reply #2469 on: 12 August, 2015, 08:33:18 pm »
But eight months and tens of thousands of miles in, I don't think anyone has any lingering suspicions that Kurt is anything other than an outstanding sportsman and a hell of a cyclist.

Yup! With outstanding backup and support  :thumbsup:.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #2470 on: 13 August, 2015, 05:26:56 am »
I think there was a degree of suspicion about Kurt at the outset. Steve was hacking unsupported through an icy British Winter - often in darkness and mostly alone and frequently in challenging terrain whereas Kurt was under a Florida sun on pancake flat roads with a support vehicle. And, to cap it off, Kurt seemed to be mirroring Steve's distances each day. Icy British Winter hills are something we're familiar with in a cycling context -whereas Florida is where people go on holiday for sun. A lazy association but understandable.

The flexibility to shift from Florida to Maine depending on requirements is a definite advantage. The weather in the US is so much more variable than in the UK - it's quite comical to see UK media outlets talking of the "extreme weather" when it goes into the 90s for a few days in the summer, or there's half an inch of snow and it goes below freezing for a couple of days in the winter.

Here in Pennsylvania it routinely goes into the 90s during the day (the humidity has been a relatively low 60% or so just lately, but before a thunderstorm it goes into the 90s), and between January and March it stayed below freezing for several days at a time. For a time it was borderline whether it was warmer outside or inside the chest freezer. The chest freezer is set to 0F (-18C), and the outside temperature didn't quite drop that low. I think it was Boston that stacked the snow they had ploughed (on the basis it had to go somewhere) and it finally finished melting in May.

I'm sure Florida is easier cycling than England in January, but come June I think I'd rather take English weather.

Of course the bottom line is that even in perfect conditions with no rain, no cold, no headwinds, and no drunken goons on mopeds, I still couldn't do what these guys are doing.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Martin

« Reply #2471 on: 13 August, 2015, 08:19:26 am »
I mentioned Steve's attempt to another stellar Randonneur back in January and he said "so has he gone to America?"

red marley

« Reply #2472 on: 13 August, 2015, 08:59:53 am »
I am in awe of Kurt's athleticism and determination and wish him well with his attempt. I apologise if my earlier comment fed into that unnecessary and tedious narrative of "your rider has it much easier than my rider" - I mentioned it because it was a detail I hadn't considered until watching some of Alicia's videos.

I do admit to a partisan support for Steve though as he just happens to represent a culture of cycling I identify more strongly with than Kurt's.

StevieB

• I'm an embarrassment to my bicycle!
« Reply #2473 on: 13 August, 2015, 02:28:09 pm »
Apology not required Jo – the differences in approaches are fascinating (potatoes – potatoes, tomatoes – tomatoes). And you are right – it is easier for us (in AUK-land) to associate with what Steve is doing – apart from the distances, and every day…

I did pick up on the “suspicion about Kurt at the outset.” I guess I had that too – the way he stepped up into the RV after 100 or 200 miles had me asking if the guy was for real. But if you watch the videos for a while the daily grind is pretty evident, despite the banter and smiles.

So my beef was really about some “lazy” comments which seemed aimed at invalidating what Kurt was doing, and going far beyond supporting Steve. (A better way to invalidate his efforts would require the use of a bicycle!)

End of beef.
It may be self-flagellation, but it still hurts

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2474 on: 13 August, 2015, 05:14:26 pm »
The terrain and conditions are different,
Exactly. This is indisputable plain fact.

It is almost impossible that they are both having an equally hard/easy time (even ignoring RTAs!). It shouldnt be verboten to discuss the differences - it's all part of the rich tapestry of the (friendly so far) rivalry.

If we didn't discuss the things that are different ... well what WOULD we discuss?!?

I for one am not saying that averaging 200+ miles a day for a year is a trivial challenge, whatever the conditions/support/genetics/yada yada ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------