Author Topic: [HAMR] Current thoughts on the record attempt?  (Read 252665 times)

hillbilly

Re: Current thoughts on the record attempt?
« Reply #425 on: 17 October, 2015, 10:40:15 am »
  I quite liked the symbolism of Morning Ride, Morning Ride, ad infinitum.  It spoke of the daily drudgery, the repetition and consistent toil that a record attempt seems to entail.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #426 on: 17 October, 2015, 11:17:51 am »
An amusing account of Walter Greaves.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/features/?id=2006/woodland_greaves

That's a great read! I chuckled to myself quite a few times.  ;D
Embrace your inner Fred.

red marley

« Reply #427 on: 17 October, 2015, 07:22:47 pm »
Ooooh! Congratulations to CitizenFish. Looking forward to reading this...

« Reply #428 on: 17 October, 2015, 07:37:05 pm »

For those of us following on a daily basis, it is largely our main form of update. Can anyone explain why YACF is looked down upon by some of the team?

It isn't.

« Reply #429 on: 17 October, 2015, 09:33:42 pm »
Ooooh! Congratulations to CitizenFish. Looking forward to reading this

Jo, you made centre spread. Please email me your address and I will send a copy when back from my latest bike adventure

« Reply #430 on: 18 October, 2015, 11:16:59 am »
Not often I order a book without a nosey first, but on this occasion I have taken a blind punt. Ordered yesterday. Postman awaited!

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #431 on: 18 October, 2015, 05:06:13 pm »

For those of us following on a daily basis, it is largely our main form of update. Can anyone explain why YACF is looked down upon by some of the team?

It isn't.

As you will see from that run of posts, it was an allegation made by someone else which I picked up on. I'm glad to hear it's not so. I'm also pleased to see Steve adding his own words to his Strava entries, plus much more frequent FB comments, which make a huge difference to our ability to feel connected to his attempt. Thanks, Steve! :thumbsup:

« Reply #432 on: 18 October, 2015, 08:50:30 pm »
"Current thoughts on the record attempt?"

I rode exactly 'one Godwin' yesterday, I simply cannot believe that Steve & Kurt do that & more EVERY DAY.  I'm knackered today, it's easy to forget how far that actually is to ride - I take my hat off to them both, it's amazing.  Keep going Steve and Kurt  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #433 on: 19 October, 2015, 08:01:11 am »
Not often I order a book without a nosey first, but on this occasion I have taken a blind punt. Ordered yesterday. Postman awaited!

On Amazon it says:

Only 6 left in stock - Order soon
Only 2 left in stock - Order soon
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #434 on: 19 October, 2015, 08:22:56 am »

On Amazon it says:

Only 6 left in stock - Order soon
Only 2 left in stock - Order soon

I ordered direct from the publishers Vertebrate Publishing in Sheffield. Cheaper than Amazon.

hillbilly

« Reply #435 on: 19 October, 2015, 10:14:47 am »
"Current thoughts on the record attempt?"

I rode exactly 'one Godwin' yesterday, I simply cannot believe that Steve & Kurt do that & more EVERY DAY.  I'm knackered today, it's easy to forget how far that actually is to ride - I take my hat off to them both, it's amazing.  Keep going Steve and Kurt  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I was thinking the same thing.  I rode 10 miles shy of a Godwin on Saturday and my legs are still grumbling.  It is quite humbling to realise that as "tough" as I think I am, I'm just a featherweight compared to Kurt, Steve and Miles.

« Reply #436 on: 21 October, 2015, 05:43:53 pm »
One thing that does stand out for me from jo's amazing visualisation of all this is the steepness of the Godwin curve (based on his actual daily distances) during the Summer months. It's interesting to see how TG planned his two curves on similar lines with a very clear reference to Godwin, whereas what's happened in reality is that TG (and Kurt for that matter) have a much much flatter curve. Part of TG's curve's flatness may be attributable to his recent re-start, in that his Jan 1st plan combined the effects of being super fit with the Summer months, whereas now these are out of phase.

Whichever way you look at it, and however it turns out, the whole thing (as in the effort and tenacity involved) is completely outside my comprehension.
Rust never sleeps

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #437 on: 22 October, 2015, 10:34:59 am »
[ May the lord forgive me for not reading every post in October. ]

Could someone update me on Steve's leg problem? Is this a new thing, or a recurrence from the moped interaction?

A Humble Ignorant Follower.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #438 on: 22 October, 2015, 10:43:57 am »
It's a new thing apparently- on his other leg :facepalm:  hopefully he's managing it and it's not worsening.
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #439 on: 22 October, 2015, 04:46:37 pm »

How exciting.  Congrats

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #440 on: 22 October, 2015, 05:02:25 pm »

How exciting.  Congrats

Indeed, nice one CF. Look forward to reading it!

« Reply #441 on: 23 October, 2015, 08:04:03 am »
Yay!

My "The Year" book arrived too.

Look forward to some cosy reading and a revised 2nd edition in 2016.

Thanks Citizenfish.  :thumbsup:

Chris S

« Reply #442 on: 23 October, 2015, 10:17:17 am »
I think this weekend, given that Steve has had some issues this week, would be a great time for one of Idai's excellent interviews  :thumbsup:.

« Reply #443 on: 23 October, 2015, 06:01:04 pm »
Yay!

My "The Year" book arrived too.

Look forward to some cosy reading and a revised 2nd edition in 2016.

Thanks Citizenfish.  :thumbsup:

Pleasure. Hope you all enjoy it. Was an epic journey trying to piece the whole thing together. So much stuff was binned over the years (Godwins mileage cards) that could have made the story utterly complete. Also we were working to a 2015 deadline before Kurt and Steve decided they were going to step up. I look forward to revising it....might have to wait till August 2nd though.

« Reply #444 on: 03 December, 2015, 06:57:38 pm »
Unfortunately, given Steve's current form, probably over for the 2nd attempt. Absolutely no criticism, because this is dead hard and Steve has been unlucky with injury and illness, but the likely deficit to Tommy looks like it will be too great to recover.

Any thoughts about a final 3rd attempt from January (rest up, sort out the diet and illnes, suitable training and possibly some different tactics)?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #445 on: 03 December, 2015, 07:02:29 pm »
I think it is right on the ragged edge. Unless things change dramatically this month, it'll be over. The new diet is a crapshoot that currently just looks crap.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #446 on: 03 December, 2015, 07:38:31 pm »
Agreed. Nearly over  :-\
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #447 on: 03 December, 2015, 08:18:24 pm »
Except that...

At long last, and Very Overdue IMO, there may be a change in tactic.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

LMT

« Reply #448 on: 03 December, 2015, 08:49:54 pm »
As I pointed out back in February, using his home as a base, map out a couple of 40 mile loops, ride, home, eat and repeat. Do this through the Winter months and knock out the longer milage over the Summer cycling through the flatlands.

The thing here looking at both records is consistency in anything and everything. In terms of what you eat and what works, the amount of rest you get, riding time etc. Steve and his team need to think hard about what works for Steve and work from that and remember what record they are trying to break. FFS you are not trying to break the Tommy Godwin record - you are breaking the highest annual milage record which is recognised as being held by Tommy. A simple distinction yet confound in it's implication on strategy. Forget about what Tommy done and where Tommy went, that was then, this is now.

This is by far the main reason that Kurt has suceeded, that is because he has recognised what record he is trying to break. It matters not to him, that Tommy cycled here or there, the only thing that matters is MILES, and with this the easiest way to ride them and be supported through them. Hence riding on the flatlands and being supported by Alicia. And when not on the road riding close to his home in Ark'sas doing loop after loop. Steve could quite easily do this from his home in MK, yes it would be boring but so what? It worked for Kurt.

Personally I'd wait until Jan when Searvogel has finished to see what new record has been set, because (with exception) of a serious personal misfortune to himself he will break the record - which I said he would - back in Jan - because he simply recognised what needed to be done and looked at the easiest way of achieving this.

And from what I've seen, Steve's team need to do far more and recognise when he needs help. Don't let him ride 60 miles in seven hours into a headwind before he had that unfortunate incident and don't make him go on a new diet half way through a record attempt in the Winter. ???

Also it might be worth investing in a power meter, working out Steve's FTP and then working out the intensity of his rides using his power relative to his FTP. This will be far more consistent then using a HRM and would allow Steve to perhaps ride at a slightly higher power/speed whilst still keeping the intensity to that of an endurance ride.

« Reply #449 on: 03 December, 2015, 09:06:20 pm »
I make it that Steve is about 40 miles a day down over the last three weeks. That cannot continue. It must be demoralising for him to see how things have gone against him. I doubt he's a quitter. Hope that this can be turned around.