Author Topic: [HAMR] Current thoughts on the record attempt?  (Read 253697 times)

Re: Current thoughts on the record attempt?
« Reply #700 on: 17 December, 2015, 11:38:10 am »
Imagine 300 miles at 40mph...

« Reply #701 on: 17 December, 2015, 11:57:31 am »
This wee clip reminds me of the days when I could do the 27 mls from office to home in 39 mins way back yonder.

« Reply #702 on: 17 December, 2015, 12:29:35 pm »
[slightly OT]Srsly? On a bike?[/slightly OT]

« Reply #703 on: 17 December, 2015, 12:37:24 pm »
Thanks for putting that clip on.  Went to the cinema twice to watch  (the cutters ) breaking away!  It is the way to do it!

« Reply #704 on: 17 December, 2015, 01:23:08 pm »
This wee clip reminds me of the days when I could do the 27 mls from office to home in 39 mins way back yonder.
If you were drafting, I can believe it.

I've managed to get tucked in behind a tractor on the A64 a few times. The hardest bit has been avoiding running into the tractor on the downhills, even a very very slight downhill would be enough to take my speed up above 25mph. I'm as unathletic as they come and in those conditions I could maintain 25mph average and scarcely break a sweat.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #705 on: 17 December, 2015, 01:23:48 pm »
Seems a bit off to me, calling those that offer opinions on the best approach silly names.

It's a sporting endeavour. People have opinions on sport. (Consider football!) This is a thread to discuss "thoughts on the record attempt". What's the problem?

These people aren't phoning up/emailing Steve and telling him he's doing it all wrong are they? Otherwise it's just a public discussion on something we're obviously all interested in.

::-)

« Reply #706 on: 17 December, 2015, 01:27:50 pm »
If you were drafting, I can believe it.

I've managed to get tucked in behind a tractor on the A64 a few times. The hardest bit has been avoiding running into the tractor on the downhills, even a very very slight downhill would be enough to take my speed up above 25mph. I'm as unathletic as they come and in those conditions I could maintain 25mph average and scarcely break a sweat.
Yup. At 40mph, two feet off the back of a double decker bus on a flat road I find myself spending more time on the brakes than the pedals.
Rust never sleeps

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #707 on: 17 December, 2015, 01:32:33 pm »

I can report a similar experience from drafting Teethgrinder on my recumbent.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #708 on: 17 December, 2015, 01:47:43 pm »
I think a few thread contributors might be interested to look at Steve's live tracker for today...

http://audaxclubhackney.co.uk/tg.html

« Reply #709 on: 17 December, 2015, 02:00:39 pm »
I think a few thread contributors might be interested to look at Steve's live tracker for today...

http://audaxclubhackney.co.uk/tg.html

Nice move - Go Steve!

What is the length and profile of MK bowl like?   Is it open 24/7?

Does Steve have to ride the Raleigh through the year in return for the sponsorship.... I presume he owns other bikes which may be more suited to riding loops of a closed circuit?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #710 on: 17 December, 2015, 02:09:14 pm »

It's 1km long with a 10 metre rise, IIRC.  So substantially hillier than what he usually rides.

I think he has to make special arrangements for access.  It's not something you can just turn up to and ride (or turn up to and shout encouragement).

« Reply #711 on: 17 December, 2015, 02:14:41 pm »

It's 1km long with a 10 metre rise, IIRC.  So substantially hillier than what he usually rides.

I think he has to make special arrangements for access.  It's not something you can just turn up to and ride (or turn up to and shout encouragement).

That's actually quite a bit shorter and hillier than I was expecting  - that's 3300m of climbing over the course of a Godwin?   I guess its quite a gradual gradient but that still seems far from ideal?

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #712 on: 17 December, 2015, 02:16:13 pm »
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #713 on: 17 December, 2015, 02:41:30 pm »
216km from Marsh Gibbon

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #714 on: 17 December, 2015, 02:47:16 pm »
Steve needs to hire this for a year :)

« Reply #715 on: 17 December, 2015, 05:05:20 pm »
Anyone know what the current annual elevation/climbing record is?  Steve's currently on ~452000m.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

hillbilly

« Reply #716 on: 17 December, 2015, 05:13:21 pm »
There isn't an official record, AFAIK.
Historically, elevation gain has been more difficult to measure (and validate) than distance.

452km is  a lot, but isn't that much compared to the BSD's.  Brian Toone is often tickling the top of the Strava elevation leaderboard.  His year to date is close to 1000km.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #717 on: 17 December, 2015, 05:51:23 pm »
The benefit of Alicia+RV seems obvious and enormous. Perhaps one way to appreciate this - for those that have followed Kurt's diary entries,  videos etc -  is to think about how his year would pan out without either Alicia, the RV,  or both.  ( I was going to list the differences ... but I don't know where to start!)

Or read today's post from Alicia:

We've worked so hard all year for this. I think it's hard to comprehend what Kurt does all day and how he does it. I don't believe most understanding all the work and juggling I do everyday to make this happen, but that's ok. It works and we are getting it done! ~ Alicia

[my bold]
Downplaying her contribution is doing her a great dis-service.

And of course I should congratulate them BOTH on their efforts :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #718 on: 17 December, 2015, 06:29:06 pm »

Millbrook oval is only just over an hour's ride from Steve  :demon:

Unfortunately  "Other prohibited items include ... pedal bikes and animals."   ;)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #719 on: 17 December, 2015, 06:39:58 pm »

Unfortunately  "Other prohibited items include ... pedal bikes and animals."   ;)

The HPV hour record has been set there in the past, albeit in 1990.  Getting it for more than a couple of weekend hours?  Fuhgeddaboutit.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #720 on: 18 December, 2015, 06:48:28 am »
Don't blink. Abrams is fast.

« Reply #721 on: 18 December, 2015, 06:50:04 am »

Millbrook has a circle. Rockingham has an oval.
Millbrook is about twenty five minutes on a bike from Steve's.

hillbilly

« Reply #722 on: 18 December, 2015, 09:22:20 am »
Steve returns to the Bowl for a second day.  A day where the trees outside my office are still, the sky is steely but with no threat of rain, and the temperature is in double figures.  And the forecast for the weekend would appear to lend itself well to venturing far and wide.

From the outside, this feels like a challenge that is on a trolley being shunted towards intensive care.  It's almost as if Steve has taken a dose from a bottle of anti-bionics rather than anti-biotics.  It's selfish to say it, but I'm not finding it comfortable viewing at the moment. 

I've never believed in Christmas miracles, but by golly I hope Santa delivers Steve some whatever it is he needs to get back up to full strength over the festive period.

« Reply #723 on: 18 December, 2015, 09:47:20 am »
Very well worded Billy

« Reply #724 on: 18 December, 2015, 11:36:24 am »

I've never believed in Christmas miracles, but by golly I hope Santa delivers Steve some whatever it is he needs to get back up to full strength over the festive period.

Well said and +1 for the above wish.

There must be something going on which we are not aware of; why the secrecy?  If Steve is following any of this chatter, not sure when he finds time to, he could make it all a bit more positive by letting supporters know what he's thinking, doing and planning.  When I say he I mean one of the Team, if there still is a Team?
Tandem Riders Do It Together
188 miles NNE of Marsh Gibbon