Author Topic: BT Master socket  (Read 1175 times)

BT Master socket
« on: 30 March, 2018, 01:42:47 pm »
For reasons only known to the cheapskate who previously owned my house, the BT master socket is in a bedroom, which is shortly to be converted into a bathroom*. Obviously this will have to move to a more sensible place. Do I have to get BT Openreach out to do this, or can my tame sparks just run the cabling internally and move the socket?

Question 2: if the former, would I be better to get FTTP? Web tools suggest there is no FTTP here, but a nearby new build has got it and they're on the next pole along.

*A bathroom upstairs is so much more normal than one that's through a door in the sitting room  ::-)
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Blazer

• One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind
Re: BT Master socket
« Reply #1 on: 30 March, 2018, 01:46:11 pm »
We had a similar issue and got a cabling / aerial guy in to move it.  Seemed simple enough for him.  Not sure what/ how he did it but it works fine.

« Reply #2 on: 30 March, 2018, 01:49:46 pm »
I think if your sparky knows what he is doing, you should be fine.
It isn't rocket science, and my experience with BT/ Openreach is that they do not keep records of whether stuff has been installed in accordance with their spec.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 30 March, 2018, 02:05:48 pm »
It's BT's property, and meddling with it is considered naughty.  They probably won't notice, and if they do, shrug and blame the previous owner.

Do a proper job, and it should be fine.

« Reply #4 on: 30 March, 2018, 02:07:40 pm »
It's BT's property, and meddling with it is considered naughty.  They probably won't notice, and if they do, shrug and blame the previous owner.

Do a proper job, and it should be fine.
Exactly this.
Anything less, tends to receive little more than a tut from the BT person, when they call, IME.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 30 March, 2018, 02:16:12 pm »
At the other end of the spectrum, doing a proper job when modifying a Virgin Media installation is likely to arouse suspicion...   ;D

« Reply #6 on: 30 March, 2018, 02:22:30 pm »
At the other end of the spectrum, doing a proper job when modifying a Virgin Media installation is likely to arouse suspicion...   ;D
You have experience of this?...........
 ;D

« Reply #7 on: 30 March, 2018, 03:34:36 pm »
Thanks, that sounds good. I could do without the grief of dealing with BT.  :P
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.