Author Topic: The panel’s thoughts on rim choice?  (Read 2928 times)

The panel’s thoughts on rim choice?
« on: 30 May, 2018, 08:38:55 pm »
Following on from Oxford Guy’s question on spoke count, it occurs that I have a pair of Ultegra 6800 hubs in the shed (32 hole of course). So my immediate habit would be to build these up with Kinlin 22T rims, using the asymmetric rear. But, the new Open Pro or the DT Swiss RR411 provide more expensive alternatives.

Does the panel have a view on these alternative options?

Edit: strike the re411 as there’s no 32 hole symmetric option. Clearly they think that no one (up to 110kg system weight) needs 32 spokes at the front!

However add the much cheaper 460 as a sensible alternative.

Cheers

Mike

Re: The panel’s thoughts on rim choice?
« Reply #1 on: 30 May, 2018, 10:05:37 pm »
depends what you plan to use the wheels for and what tyres you intend to fit, really.

Re the new Open Pro; these are built very light for the width they are and (if the ones that I have measured are anything to go by) have incredibly thin braking surfaces; much thinner than the previous C model (and they were too thin, really....).  A chum of mine had his wheels rebuilt with new Mavic OPs and the 'worn out' Archetypes he was taking off had measurably thicker braking surfaces even after about five year's use... :o

I don't think you will do a lot better (for the money) than the kinlins TBH; most other rims about that price are not as strong.

In the vein of rims that are a bit like the ones you mention, I quite like archetypes; they are a nice strong rim, but they are more expensive than some other options.

cheers

« Reply #2 on: 30 May, 2018, 10:14:05 pm »
Are the Kinlins decent rims, Mike? I'll be after building a new wheelset for my Giant before too long, and they don't break the bank.

« Reply #3 on: 30 May, 2018, 10:17:49 pm »
Following on from Oxford Guy’s question on spoke count, it occurs that I have a pair of Ultegra 6800 hubs in the shed (32 hole of course). So my immediate habit would be to build these up with Kinlin 22T rims, using the asymmetric rear. But, the new Open Pro or the DT Swiss RR411 provide more expensive alternatives.

Edit: strike the re411 as there’s no 32 hole symmetric option. Clearly they think that no one (up to 110kg system weight) needs 32 spokes at the front!

Cheers

Mike

I have the 460 db version and have been pleased. They were extremely cheap (£22) from one of the German retailers  and seem like very very good value for money. They've done 2 winters so far. I did manage to dent one but that is hardly surprising given the state of local roads and their light weight.

« Reply #4 on: 31 May, 2018, 12:32:09 pm »
Are the Kinlins decent rims, Mike? I'll be after building a new wheelset for my Giant before too long, and they don't break the bank.

I like them. They build up easily enough and seem strong and well finished, plus there is an asymmetric rear drilling. They also work well tubeless if you want. As you say, they are also sensibly priced. Every one that I’ve weighed has been 450g within the tolerance of the scales.

The last set I built were 32:32 and I really liked them. They’re now being ridden by a mate who admits to the first 100kgs, as I needed some wheels for a bike I built up for him.

Thanks all for the additional commentary. If I get chance I might add a bit later.

Mike

« Reply #5 on: 01 June, 2018, 07:16:57 am »

Cheers

Mike

I have the 460 db version and have been pleased. They were extremely cheap (£22) from one of the German retailers  and seem like very very good value for money. They've done 2 winters so far. I did manage to dent one but that is hardly surprising given the state of local roads and their light weight.

Which retailer was that and is their packaging OK? I have always been afraid to "mail order" rims because of the risks of damage in transit (which may be entirely in my mind).

« Reply #6 on: 01 June, 2018, 07:27:15 am »
I can't remember which retailer tbh but my usual haunts are starbike, bike24, rose, bike-discount.de

Quick look suggests 28€ is cheapest so it'll just be a question of seeing who offers best shipping cost.

Packaging fine.

« Reply #7 on: 01 June, 2018, 07:48:19 am »
Quick follow up - sensible choice seem to be Kinlin and DT Swiss 460DB. I think I’ll go with Kinlin for the asymmetric rear and because I can ride/walk around to Spa and buy them for not much more than the DTSwiss shopped.

Brucey, agree the archetype is a nicely made rim. It’s not really tubeless compatible though, and I prefer to have that option (not to start another discussion)

Mike

« Reply #8 on: 01 June, 2018, 11:42:14 am »
I know of folk who run tubeless on archetypes; the problem with this is that you probably need to carry CO2 to get the tyre reseated; if the pressure drops for any reason the seal is usually broken. The plus side is that you can get the tyres on and off more easily than with most tubeless compatible rims.

Dunno just how tight the Kinlins usually are; I note that they have a rim profile that is unlike UST type rims; the bead seats are just angled upwards slightly. This might make unseating tight/tubeless tyres easier than with some other tubeless compatible rims, but I guess it all depends on exact size of tyre and rim....

cheers

« Reply #9 on: 03 June, 2018, 01:45:56 pm »

I like them. They build up easily enough and seem strong and well finished, plus there is an asymmetric rear drilling. They also work well tubeless if you want. As you say, they are also sensibly priced. Every one that I’ve weighed has been 450g within the tolerance of the scales.

The last set I built were 32:32 and I really liked them. They’re now being ridden by a mate who admits to the first 100kgs, as I needed some wheels for a bike I built up for him.

Thanks all for the additional commentary. If I get chance I might add a bit later.

Mike

Cheers Mike. Think i'll swing by Spa in the morning

« Reply #10 on: 03 June, 2018, 02:35:54 pm »
Can anyone point me to somewhere I might be able to get a set of these (28f/32r) laced up to a decent hub..?

I'm absolutely, almost beyond, desperate for a new audaxy wheelset.

« Reply #11 on: 03 June, 2018, 02:54:45 pm »
I know of folk who run tubeless on archetypes; the problem with this is that you probably need to carry CO2 to get the tyre reseated; if the pressure drops for any reason the seal is usually broken. The plus side is that you can get the tyres on and off more easily than with most tubeless compatible rims.

cheers

I’m one who happily runs Archetypes tubeless, with 25mm Schwalbe Ones. When initially fitting I was able to seat one tyre with just a track pump, but the other needed CO2. I now use the new Finish Line “CO2 friendly” sealant. Roadside you’d definitely need CO2, but not if, as I do, you carry a spare tube for just such emergencies.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #12 on: 03 June, 2018, 03:30:23 pm »
I have to say, the hunt wheels I've been using were a revelation after using various tubeless rims (mostly velocity A23) for the last 5 or 6 years. The H section (as they brand it) profile completely secures the bread so that you can deflate the tyre completely without it unseating and then needing a blast of air. Gather their rims are available separately but look a bit dear, I understood them to be from kinlin, but don't know if a kinlin branded rim is available with that same little shoulder.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #13 on: 03 June, 2018, 05:02:18 pm »
I have to say, the hunt wheels I've been using were a revelation after using various tubeless rims (mostly velocity A23) for the last 5 or 6 years. The H section (as they brand it) profile completely secures the bread so that you can deflate the tyre completely without it unseating and then needing a blast of air. Gather their rims are available separately but look a bit dear, I understood them to be from kinlin, but don't know if a kinlin branded rim is available with that same little shoulder.

Hunt seem to use several rims, but their most obvious wheel sets used the 31T, which has the same internal profile as the 22T and 26T. They’re not entirely locked on, but tyres are pretty secure once they’ve had chance to settle and the sealant helps too of course.

Elsewhere you can read that I managed to ride 10+ miles on a very deflated rear, including a descent of Greenhow Hill without the bead of my Schwalbe One unseating. It had been on a long time and I hadn’t topped up the sealant - my mistake. At Pateley Bridge I stopped and put a tube in. Not particularly difficult with a couple of tyre levers.

I did manage to damage the rim (31T), but blame that on a particularly heavy and fast pothole with no tyre to cushion it. Overall a strong rim that works well in my view. When I get chance I’ll put a new rim on the wheel as it’s on nice hubs.

Mike

« Reply #14 on: 03 June, 2018, 08:15:17 pm »
Can anyone point me to somewhere I might be able to get a set of these (28f/32r) laced up to a decent hub..?

The Kinlin?

Spa, Mike Conway, Malcolm Borg (Cycle Clinic) and others.

Plus there are lots of people here who might put a pair together for you if you paid for the parts and a couple of pints. One thing, don’t get a 28 spoke front built radially. I don’t think many (or even any) hubs are designed for the load. Tbh, if you’re going 28:32, I’d just go 32:32 and build on Ultegra hubs. You can probably still get 28:32 in Duraace 9000, but it’s quite an expensive proposition.

« Reply #15 on: 03 June, 2018, 11:03:11 pm »
Just a quick thankyou mike, I am thinking of a new wheel build and asking myself the same question as you - think I will also go Kinlins, prob from SPA - I would need them posted but I have had good service from them.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #16 on: 04 June, 2018, 07:30:07 pm »

The Kinlin?

Spa, Mike Conway, Malcolm Borg (Cycle Clinic) and others.

Plus there are lots of people here who might put a pair together for you if you paid for the parts and a couple of pints. One thing, don’t get a 28 spoke front built radially. I don’t think many (or even any) hubs are designed for the load. Tbh, if you’re going 28:32, I’d just go 32:32 and build on Ultegra hubs. You can probably still get 28:32 in Duraace 9000, but it’s quite an expensive proposition.

Cheers, he seems just the job.

Kinlins on Miche hubs, 32 Sapim Race spokes f and r, 3x at the back, not sure about the front. About £300. Seems reasonable.

« Reply #17 on: 04 June, 2018, 09:29:09 pm »
What size tape for the kinlins (xr22ts)?

« Reply #18 on: 04 June, 2018, 11:38:58 pm »
What size tape for the kinlins (xr22ts)?

I use 25mm. I’ve got plenty of some 3M that appears the same as The Effetto Mariposa tape. I prefer it to Stans/Tesa. If your local (to Harrogate) I’ll happily tape them up when you’ve got them built.

Mike

« Reply #19 on: 04 June, 2018, 11:50:08 pm »
Cheers mike, a really great offer but I am miles away - just planning on ordering the stuff I'll need from SPA.

« Reply #20 on: 15 June, 2018, 12:14:23 pm »
Do Kinlin do something sub-500g with an inner diameter of about 17mm i.e a narrower XR-22T?

« Reply #21 on: 15 June, 2018, 02:19:06 pm »
DCR wheels have got some info on Kinlin rims here with profiles and weights that might be of interest

https://dcrwheels.co.uk/products/rims/700c-rims/

« Reply #22 on: 15 June, 2018, 03:54:15 pm »
Do Kinlin do something sub-500g with an inner diameter of about 17mm i.e a narrower XR-22T?

The XRxxT range are all 19mm internal.

The XC279 is a strong rim that is about 17mm internal and there is also the original xr270 at 14mm. The latter is, I think, available in symmetric and asymmetric versions. Both are under 500g and can be bought from Spa or elsewhere. Neither are tubeless ready rims.