Author Topic: Shimano 3N80 or Shutter Precision PV-8  (Read 2271 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Shimano 3N80 or Shutter Precision PV-8
« on: 02 August, 2018, 05:30:29 pm »
Anyone run both?  I'm quite happy with the Shimano but the SP hub is lighter.  Any durability issues?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Re: Shimano 3N80 or Shutter Precision PV-8
« Reply #1 on: 02 August, 2018, 06:22:45 pm »
I run bikes with a 3N71, a 3N72, a 3N80, an SP PV-8, and an SP SV-8. They are all good. Though the 3N80 caused vibrations in the handlebar of my most used commuter bike at too low a speed when the lights were on. The Shutter Precision hub, meant for smaller wheels, cured that problem.

« Reply #2 on: 02 August, 2018, 06:28:36 pm »
SP hubs have cartridge bearings in them and (esp if you ride in all weathers) they don't last forever. I used to have a bit of a downer on this, but Isons (the UK importers) now do an exchange/refurb for £25 or something like that.

The other thing is that some SP models have a narrow flange spacing; this makes for a potentially weaker wheel vs a hub with wider spaced flanges.

cheers

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #3 on: 02 August, 2018, 06:49:01 pm »
As a 4 bike SP dyno hub runner and no motor car, so all year round reliant on bicycles in remote mountainous Welsh 'weather' prone environs and 10-12000 miles per annum . . .

. . . the SP is much better 'looking' than ugly lumpfs of Shimano's stuff ;D

. . . and the one SP I've had problems with (on the much used mega miles shopping bike) which started making bearing creaking noises well beyond the 2 year warranty - was replaced by Ison (the UK distributor) for £25 inc post with a NEW hub - cos they didn't have a refurb version available in my MUST have silver, at the time :)

I'm happy as Larry and as pleased as Punch - so far . . . after several years

« Reply #4 on: 02 August, 2018, 06:52:34 pm »
The Shimano dynamo hubs are the only lightweight hubs that are serviceable without taking the wheel apart. 

The design also means that the "downtime" for the wheel is extremely  short in case of replacing the innards, and it is an easy to do DIY job since the only skill it requires is the ability to adjust cup-and-cone bearings.

So if you pay others to build your wheels, the Shimano dynamo hub may have and economic advantage or "downtime" advantage when it comes to service. 

The 3N80 is no longer produced, though probably still available at some sellers. I think the DH-T780 for V-brakes or DH-T8000-3D for disc brakes are the new top end Shimano dynamo hubs.   
--
Regards

rogerzilla

« Reply #5 on: 04 August, 2018, 09:28:28 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  Rose still have the silver 32h 3N80 at the same price as the SV-8 from Spa.  The SP has the edge for light weight and lights-off drag but my two 3N80 hubs have minimal lights-off drag in a spin test (much better than my old SON28) so it could have been a bad test sample in the review I read.

I build my own wheels but wouldn't want to take one apart to send a hub away for service, not unless the rim were worn out too.

Also, all my lights have Shimano plugs and I move them around sometimes.

I think the 3N80 is better for me, but only just.

« Reply #6 on: 04 August, 2018, 10:12:51 pm »
IME the test data is not representative of a good hub unless the bearings are adjusted an lubricated differently than they arrive from the factory. Every shimano hub generator I have handled from new has had the bearings set way too tight. The last DH-3N72 I built up need the cones to be backed off by 1/4 turn before they were correctly set. That and a bit of lube made about 1W difference to the lights off drag.

BTW if you want to save a few quid the DH-3N72 model is a very capable generator (and doesn't share the bearing woes of the DH-3N71 model). £60 from rosebikes.

cheers

rogerzilla

« Reply #7 on: 05 August, 2018, 08:38:11 pm »
Agreed, Shimano quality control has gone down the pan, or Indonesian children aren't as good at assembling things as Japanese adults were.

I need to adjust a friend's new Deore-hubbed wheelset - he says the hubs feel tight even with the QR undone and I have told him not to ride them until they're properly adjusted.  I have a tube of Shimano green grease and I also top up new hubs and pedals - they use barely a smear these days at the factory.

« Reply #8 on: 05 August, 2018, 10:07:20 pm »
even in more sensible quantity, the shimano green grease appears to have zero resistance to winter road salt. There are plenty of better greases for UK conditions.

Hubs are assembled by robots these days, I think.

cheers