Author Topic: Odd mechanical fetishes  (Read 9436 times)

Re: Odd mechanical fetishes
« Reply #25 on: 07 August, 2018, 01:20:24 pm »
Seriously?  You seriously need to save a second when you are out on your bike?  You are Marginal Brailsford and I claim my £5.

If I've had a bloody puncture I'm usually in a very bad mood and *anything* to make the task of fixing it even slightly easier is worth it. Why would you want it to be harder?

(it especially helps with finding the valve *hole* when you need to put the new tube in, which on black rims can be deceptive little bastards)

« Reply #26 on: 07 August, 2018, 01:28:58 pm »
Some of these sound worryingly familiar:

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

« Reply #27 on: 07 August, 2018, 01:33:48 pm »
* If present, hub label readable through valve hole

Utter nonsense, where did this idea come from?

Makes finding the valve marginally quicker, especially on a rear wheel. Look at the hub, spin the wheel slowly, wait for the label to point at wherever you you'd like the valve to be for pumping purposes. Of all the 'rules' so far discussed, it's one of the very few I vaguely care about.

Seriously?  You seriously need to save a second when you are out on your bike?  You are Marginal Brailsford and I claim my £5.

Yes, seriously. Fixing a flat at 3am in the dark and rain, at the side of a busy road with no shelter, 390 km into a 400 km randonee that I just want finished (true story), you bet every little convenience that costs nothing is welcome.

« Reply #28 on: 07 August, 2018, 02:09:52 pm »
A second - dear me, what stressful lives we lead.  (Although I accept that it probably only takes a second to arrange it how you "need" it in the first place.)

And, yes, I have done a little bit of overnight riding in wet weather!

As for black rims - first world problems, I live in the North!

« Reply #29 on: 07 August, 2018, 02:15:51 pm »
A second - dear me, what stressful lives we lead.  (Although I accept that it probably only takes a second to arrange it how you "need" it in the first place.)

Much easier to find a hub label than a valve in the dark with a head lamp, especially when tired at the end of a long ride. Why are you so determined to ridicule something someone else finds useful?

« Reply #30 on: 07 August, 2018, 02:20:37 pm »

Are you some sort of Markov chain random post generator?

« Reply #31 on: 07 August, 2018, 02:26:17 pm »
I think you are a little quick to take offence and I certainly didn't mean to give any.  I was trying to be jocund but not everyone gets my style!  It's certainly easy enough to arrange it how you want when you are putting things together and there's nothing wrong with that but I find the justifications a bit "first world".   There is probably a reasonable argument for saying that if you are that stressed on a 400, then maybe the extra second's rest you get as you spin the wheel and search for that (pretty obvious) valve-stem is beneficial.  Who knows!  Smileys, etc!

Greetings from across the water!

Peter

« Reply #32 on: 07 August, 2018, 02:27:10 pm »

Are you some sort of Markov chain random post generator?

Possibly - what is it?!

« Reply #33 on: 07 August, 2018, 02:42:21 pm »
There's nothing relaxing about hunting for an elusive valve or valve hole in the dark when you're meant to be riding. People come up with these solutions because they've experienced it not being "pretty obvious" in the past and had a miserable time made one bit more miserable.

« Reply #34 on: 07 August, 2018, 03:22:40 pm »
Clearly I'm too delicate a little petal for this cycling thing. I'll better leave it to the northern hardarses like Peter.

« Reply #35 on: 07 August, 2018, 03:39:36 pm »
Now you're talking!  Although I don't quite see how you get to your conclusion.  My allusion to the North was because I don't see that many black rims up here.  But if people want to take offence, i guess they'll do it anyway, in spite of efforts to be conciliatory.

I've had enough.

love to all

peter

PS  My arse is my business, but yes, it is a little harder than I'd like.

« Reply #36 on: 07 August, 2018, 04:11:01 pm »
Also some bar tapes (not to mention end plugs) work best if the bar is 'taped from the top', under modest tension.

Could you explain why? When I wrap the tape from the top, it always tends to unwrap while riding under the pressure from my hands. When wrapped from the drops, no problem!
you can wrap tape very quickly from the bottom, but this leaves a free end at the top that must be secured with tape or something. If you spend much time riding on the tops this often needs to be renewed. If the tape pitch has been guessed wrongly, you end up with a funny pitch on the tops, which are often more used than the drops.  An advantage is that the tape can be unwound from the top should the brake cables/gear cables need to be renewed before the bar tape.

However if you wind from the top downwards the tape can be overlapped at the top and won't come undone at the end, with or without crummy finishing tape.  If the tape moves on the top bend, there are only two reasons for this; the glue on the tape was rubbish or you didn't wind it on tightly enough. There are a few tapes that are so flimsy that the edges tear, but mostly the edges (which face upwards this way) offer more  grip when you are riding with your palms on the top bends. When you get to taping the drops you can easily vary the pitch of the tape so that it is all used; by contrast when winding the other way the best result you can hope for is that you throw about 10% of the tape away; variations in tape pitch are a lot more obvious on the tops.  Taping from the top you can secure the end of the tape properly by using an expanding end plug, instead of those crummy brittle shiny things.  BTW because the glue on many tapes is so poor these days I often use a little double-sided tape beneath the main bar tape. 

Winding the tape on from the tops you get to choose the best tape pitch on the tops; if you do much climbing on the tops then this area sees lots of sweat (because you are riding slowly and it doesn't evaporate so quickly)  thus IME this part of the tape sees the most heavy wear and needs to be done with the most care. By contrast the drops see much less wear (on my bikes) and are not so sensitive to tape pitch and overlap.

With the right tape and the right method, none of the usual objections to this method apply, and there are advantages to be had.

cheers

« Reply #37 on: 07 August, 2018, 05:06:32 pm »
Thank you very very much Mr Brucey, I learn something every time I read a post from you!

Alain

« Reply #38 on: 07 August, 2018, 05:23:36 pm »
Thank you very very much Mr Brucey, I learn something every time I read a post from you!

Me too, though I haven't got round to saying so before.

Many thanks Brucey!

Tony

« Reply #39 on: 07 August, 2018, 08:42:25 pm »
alu valve caps can seize solid onto brass valve stems in a UK winter..... luvverly road salt, eh.....

cheers

UK ? UK ? C'est quoi, ça ? ;)

c'est le R.U. n'est pas? En hiver, peut etre votre capuchons de valve ne marche pas en RU.

Best not stray too far north, eh.... ;)

cheers

« Reply #40 on: 07 August, 2018, 09:00:23 pm »
When I first started to develop such fetishes, I wanted to arrange my valves (front and rear) so that they were always in step, i.e. pointed forward at the same moment. It didn't take me long to see the problem with that ::-)

« Reply #41 on: 07 August, 2018, 10:16:35 pm »
When I first started to develop such fetishes, I wanted to arrange my valves (front and rear) so that they were always in step, i.e. pointed forward at the same moment. It didn't take me long to see the problem with that ::-)

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

Ben T

« Reply #42 on: 07 August, 2018, 10:40:11 pm »
I don't agree with the rear QR facing forwards. I've always believed they both had to face either backwards or down, the reason being if a piece of foliage caught on one it couldn't undo it.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #43 on: 07 August, 2018, 10:41:48 pm »
I never install valve caps on prestas and don't think anyone else should.

That's just crazy. No dust capo on your valve is just I asking for it to get covered in crap that makes it harder to operate.

Not only do I have dust caps to match my frame, but i have Presta to shraeder adaptors permanently fitted in case i ever want to top the tyres up at a petrol station.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #44 on: 07 August, 2018, 10:49:15 pm »

Anyone else gone to the effort of lining up the logo on the tyre with the valve, getting the tyre all inflated. Spotting it's not line up any more, deflating, shifting, lining it up, only to realise it's not lined up any more, reapeati it, only to discover Conti have printed the logo in a different position on each side of the tyre, so you have to choose which side to line up?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #45 on: 07 August, 2018, 10:53:02 pm »
I never use valve caps.

I don't use (square taper) crank dustcaps either.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #46 on: 07 August, 2018, 11:22:09 pm »
I don't agree with the rear QR facing forwards. I've always believed they both had to face either backwards or down, the reason being if a piece of foliage caught on one it couldn't undo it.

Agree in principle, but my experience is that facing upwards tends to reduce foliage entanglement compared to down.  I don't think there's much chance of it undoing the QR in anything other than the forward-facing configuration, though, so this is mostly about not having to stop to pull bits of green stuff off your bike.

If the bike's not going off-road, it doesn't really matter.

« Reply #47 on: 07 August, 2018, 11:28:24 pm »
Doesn't the convention come from riding in a bunch, where a rear-facing QR could be flipped open in a touch of wheels? I put mine in the crook of the chain- and seatstay, and don't have any problems with foliage etc.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #48 on: 07 August, 2018, 11:34:34 pm »
I never install valve caps on prestas and don't think anyone else should.

That's just crazy. No dust capo on your valve is just I asking for it to get covered in crap that makes it harder to operate.

In practice it's fine with Presta - crap gets wiped off by your fingers as you go to open the valve, so the main function of the cap is to prevent the spiky end of the valve from puncturing the rolled-up unfitted tube.  Schrader valves are another matter entirely, and need dust caps if you don't want them to develop slow leaks.

(Disclaimer: I do have the Presta valve caps fitted on my mountain bike, on account of its much higher degree of mud exposure.  There's no point getting religious about it.)

Not only do I have dust caps to match my frame, but i have Presta to shraeder adaptors permanently fitted in case i ever want to top the tyres up at a petrol station.

Given the proliferation of Schrader valves and relative rarity of Presta (even amongst cyclists), I reckon these are well worth carrying.

I keep one of these in each of my puncture repair (+ other small spares) kits.  Keeping them on the valve would just seem to add an extra step to topping up the pressure, and increase your chance of misplacing them.  The exception is when you're using them to adapt a Schrader-fitting blinkenlight to bling up your bike for a night ride or something, which is obviously a role of critical importance.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #49 on: 07 August, 2018, 11:36:02 pm »
Doesn't the convention come from riding in a bunch, where a rear-facing QR could be flipped open in a touch of wheels? I put mine in the crook of the chain- and seatstay, and don't have any problems with foliage etc.

I hadn't consider that.  Back in the mists of time I came to cycling through the MTB route, and my bunch-riding experience is mostly about not getting my pedals/feet/chainguard tangled in anything.