Author Topic: Quando hub bearings  (Read 3778 times)

Quando hub bearings
« on: 14 February, 2009, 01:47:10 pm »
My fixie runs on a Quando rear hub.

It would appear to have sealed bearings, which I have borked by running the chain to tight with a cheap chainring (not circular). therefore two questions.

1: Are these bearing servicable?

2: if I have to replace the hub what do I need to spec re chainline and what hubs are recommended?

Matthew

Re: Quando hub bearings
« Reply #1 on: 14 February, 2009, 03:07:51 pm »
My fixie runs on a Quando rear hub.

It would appear to have sealed bearings, which I have borked by running the chain to tight with a cheap chainring (not circular). therefore two questions.

1: Are these bearing servicable?

2: if I have to replace the hub what do I need to spec re chainline and what hubs are recommended?

Matthew

Sealed bearings aren't serviceable so much as replaceable.
The normal procedure is...
a) Remove all end caps, seals etc so the bearings are exposed. Take note of which way round and in what order everything fits.
b) support the hub shell on an open vice or two bricks or something so the end of the axle is clear and the gap is wide enough for the bearing to come out. Bash the top end of the axle with a mallet to drive it through the hub. The bearing at the bottom end will come out with it.
c) remove the bearing that came out with the axle, turn the hub over, put the axle back in and drive out the other bearing.
d) Go to a bearing supplier (yellow pages) and get two new bearings the same size. Bearing suppliers are generally much cheaper than bike shops, though occasionally you can fall foul of minimum orders or very large trade discounts.
e) when refitting the bearings into the hub, it is important to press only on the outer race. Anything flat and big enough will do for the first, or press it in using a vice. However the second bearing has to be pressed in with the axle in place so you need something with a hole for it. Using a suitably sized socket is the usual.
f) refit seals and end caps

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #2 on: 03 January, 2019, 12:49:07 pm »
I'm about to do the same job on my system EX fixed rear hub, so the above instructions are really helpful.

:thumbsup:
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #3 on: 03 January, 2019, 01:14:58 pm »
 quando and other budget hubs could have either

a) cartridge bearings or
b) cup and cone bearings (with seals)

in them.

If a) then procedure is as above, except note  that

- bashing the end of the axle directly risks damaging the threads; be careful of this and use soft hammer/packing if necessary. Another alternative is to reverse the track nut and to hit that, not the axle.

-  nine times out of ten cheap fixie hubs have 6000-2RS bearings in them.

- removing the inboard seal from the bearings and adding lots of semi-fluid grease to the hub will help the bearings survive better

- when removing the bearings, it isn't a bad idea to tip a kettle full of boiling water over the hub a few seconds before you drive them out

If the hubs are cup and cone, check that the cups in the hubshell are not damaged; if they are then a new hub is usually required.

Running a fixed gear with no slack in the chain (even if there is no tight spot) puts very much higher loads into the hub bearings than a derailleur gear.

cheers

« Reply #4 on: 03 January, 2019, 09:32:20 pm »
Use the old bearing under your socket to press in the new..

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #5 on: 05 January, 2019, 11:16:33 am »
Get decent quality bearings, a decent brand from a reputable bearing supplier. 

Look at lifting a seal, cleaning out the original grease and adding some as modern bearings have little grease.  I'd stick the bearings in th freezer for  bit too.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 07 January, 2019, 08:48:24 pm »
They are a very tight press-fit.  I heated the hub shell and cooled the bearings, and even then they were pretty tight.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.