Author Topic: Are "shoe trees" worth using when storing shoes?  (Read 2656 times)

alchemy

Are "shoe trees" worth using when storing shoes?
« on: 30 April, 2008, 08:35:30 am »
I recently bought some (for me) expensive shoes. The sales person recommended buying a pair of "shoe trees" to put inside them when I'm not wearing them. They said that they'll help the shoes retain their shape, and the cedar will absorb sweat which will also help the shoes last longer.

Does anyone use these, and do they work, or is it just sales talk? Thanks

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
Re: Are "shoe trees" worth using when storing shoes?
« Reply #1 on: 30 April, 2008, 09:06:16 am »
Dunno about absorbing sweat, but I think it's worth using them to maintain the shape of the shoes.  If I've been wearing decent shoes at work all day, I take them off when I get home, leave them to air for a few hours, then put in shoe trees at bedtime.  You shouldn't wear a good pair of shoes every day, but alternate with other pairs.  When you're not wearing them, shoe trees will help maintain their shape.
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

rae

« Reply #2 on: 30 April, 2008, 09:09:20 am »
+1 on maintaining shape.   I just stick them in when I take the shoes off.  After a year or so, there is a noticeable difference in the cracking (or not) of the leather at the crease points.  Worth it for expensive leather shoes only.

Glosbiker

• Gentleman Antiquarian
« Reply #3 on: 30 April, 2008, 09:13:12 am »
Thor's and Rae's opinion seconded but I always put the shoe trees in immediately after I take them off.

I've got Barkers, Church's and Grensons I bought 20 years ago when I were a yuppy that are still going strong due to a policy of rotation - never the same shoes two days running, toe blakeys (I can't remember what they're called) and regular trips to the cobblers.  Trouble is there aren't many decent shoe repair places around; the last time in went to Timpsons they did their best to bugger up a nice pair of Grenson boots.  I also use decent polish and take a real pride in getting them as shiny as possible with regular cleanings.
Question everything, accept nothing.

« Reply #4 on: 30 April, 2008, 09:38:36 am »
For handmade shoes you expect to last a lifetime then yes. For expensive but not particularly good quality shoes (Italian fashion variety), and for bog standard Clarks no. I'm a shoe slob, I buy a pair of Clarks shoes for £50-60, wear them 5 days a week, and when they inevitably split (probably around the 2 year mark, depends on how much driving I'm doing) get another pair.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)