Author Topic: Drilling into a lintel  (Read 21627 times)

annie

Drilling into a lintel
« on: 09 May, 2008, 01:44:23 pm »
How do I do it?  I am drilling some holes into a wall above a window to fit a curtain pole, trouble is that the lintel is a bit of a tough cookie and I can't manage to get a big enough hole, sorry if this sounds less than technical.  Tried the relevant drill bit but with no luck.  I don't want to put any more force into it as one foot is on the window ledge and one on the ladder.

Re: Drilling into a lintel
« Reply #1 on: 09 May, 2008, 01:46:53 pm »
I'd get myself standing on something secure first.

If the material is very hard then try drilling a smaller tap hole first and then use larger bits. Are you using masonry bits? Use hammer function on the drill if it has it.

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #2 on: 09 May, 2008, 01:47:07 pm »
Annie

Are you using a hammer drill ?  If not, I am afraid you will get nowhere.

If so, start of with a smaller drill bit and then increase the size .

Hope this helps.

« Reply #3 on: 09 May, 2008, 01:47:21 pm »
Do you know what the lintel is made of ? If its steel RSJ then you will need a HSS bit rather than a normal masonry bit.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 09 May, 2008, 01:47:44 pm »
You could call O'Reilly.  ::-)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #5 on: 09 May, 2008, 01:48:39 pm »
They are tough buggers. But then they have to by.

One way around it as I found out was to not actually drill holes for the curtain pole into the lintel.

Far easier is to put up a plank of wood which you can paint later to match the wall etc and make it longer than the lintel. If you can't make it longer you can still screw the plank into the lintel which will still be easier than put the pole directly into the lintel.

Do hope you are using your drill on the "hammer" setting.
A shitter and a giggler.

rae

« Reply #6 on: 09 May, 2008, 01:49:21 pm »
Lintel is tough concrete with lengths of steel going though it.  

Masonry drills don't touch steel.

HS Steel drills don't last more than a second in masonry.

I'd guess that a carbide drill would do it, but it would almost certainly shatter when used in a hand held drill.

Can't the curtain pole go an inch higher?  

Failing that, drill a small hole with a masonry drill until you hit steel.   Then load up and HS steel drill and push on.   Repeat with larger drills.   Violence and force will be required.

annie

« Reply #7 on: 09 May, 2008, 01:51:09 pm »
It is indeed on hammer setting, started off with smaller bits and moved up to the bigger boys.  I am patient, I will plod away and hope for the best.

Great advice thank you.

Not sure if the lintel is steel, will take a peek with a torch when I head back upstairs.

« Reply #8 on: 09 May, 2008, 01:51:30 pm »
If it's a concrete lintel I'd not drill it. The concrete will be very hard and there's a good chance of encountering the steel reinforcement inside it. Usual way is to bridge it with a piece of timber and mount the pole to that.

annie

« Reply #9 on: 09 May, 2008, 01:52:27 pm »
If it's a concrete lintel I'd not drill it. The concrete will be very hard and there's a good chance of encountering the steel reinforcement inside it. Usual way is to bridge it with a piece of timber and mount the pole to that.

Looks as though I will be heading off to the hardware store to purchase some timber >:(

« Reply #10 on: 09 May, 2008, 01:54:00 pm »
Usual way is to bridge it with a piece of timber and mount the pole to that.

I'd agree that it is usually best to put up a baton first... you'll still need to drill holes to put that on though!

Sounds as if you are not well positioned behind the drill to apply a bit of pressure.

« Reply #11 on: 09 May, 2008, 01:58:19 pm »
Usual way is to bridge it with a piece of timber and mount the pole to that.

I'd agree that it is usually best to put up a baton first... you'll still need to drill holes to put that on though!

"Bridge". Not attach to.

« Reply #12 on: 09 May, 2008, 01:59:00 pm »
An SDS drill should nibble it's way through concrete without difficulty, making most hammer drills look like toys.
Around £17.00 per day from H$$  according to their catalogue.

cc93

« Reply #13 on: 09 May, 2008, 01:59:59 pm »
I reckon on wearing out 1 drill bit (high quality masonry) per 2 holes in a concrete lintel - it's damned hard work too

Can you move sideways a bit away from the window until you're clear of the lintel?

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
« Reply #14 on: 09 May, 2008, 02:00:28 pm »
Ahh... Rumbled by jurekb.

I second using an SDS. I've got one on loan from my dad atm which is ver' handy. I would offer you the use of it, but I'm on the other side of the country from what I can make out.

annie

« Reply #15 on: 09 May, 2008, 02:01:18 pm »
I still need to put three  holes into the middle to support the pole, it comes in two sections which I need to cut to size, cue the saw :)

« Reply #16 on: 09 May, 2008, 02:03:34 pm »
Lintels being pre-stressed and load-bearing, I would avoid drilling one if possible.

annie

« Reply #17 on: 09 May, 2008, 02:08:45 pm »
Lintels being pre-stressed and load-bearing, I would avoid drilling one if possible.

Too late :-\  Managed to drill the first three holes.  Moved the bed so the ladder is facing the window.  I may need a new shoulder but should survive to finish the job, the drill bits on the other hand may not.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #18 on: 09 May, 2008, 02:25:19 pm »
In the Old Woofage Towers I met this problem. I ended up with holes no deeper than the plaster+scratch-coat. Undeterred, I cut the Rawlplug down, glued it in with No More Nails and used a shorter screw. Worked fine for light bedroom curtains.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #19 on: 09 May, 2008, 02:28:57 pm »
...glued it in with No More Nails...

'PinkGrip' is the grown-up version, solvent rather than water-based, and very strong. Probably from builders' merchants only as the public aren't generally trusted with solvents nowadays.

annie

« Reply #20 on: 09 May, 2008, 02:34:24 pm »
I too have cut down the raw plugs by about 3mm.  Only 6 more holes to go if I can find the energy.

annie

« Reply #21 on: 09 May, 2008, 03:08:35 pm »
Thank you for all the great advice.  The job is complete. :thumbsup:

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #22 on: 09 May, 2008, 03:14:46 pm »
Fix it to the ceiling joists?

(assuming your ceiling isn't too high)
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #23 on: 09 May, 2008, 03:21:03 pm »
I'm a bit late now  ::-), but Bosch do some exellent multi-material drills that will do the job. they look like masonry ones and came in  a blue case and had blue round the flutes - about £8 for a set of 6 I think.

Use the hammer setting for going through plaster or masonary, change to rotary for the steel. I did all 24 of our windows for blinds when we had new windowsfitted last year.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #24 on: 09 May, 2008, 03:56:44 pm »
glued it in with No More Nails

In Spain,  this is called No mas clavos  :D

IGMC