Author Topic: time-limited activation of immersion heater  (Read 1429 times)

time-limited activation of immersion heater
« on: 10 May, 2008, 07:11:08 am »
I'd like a wall switch for our immersion heater akin to the ones used in Paris to light a common stairwell - you turn it on and after a pre-determined time it turns off again. (not an auto-timer thingy - just a time-limited activation switch)

I've studied my screwfix catalogue until I'm blue in the face and I've even looked in B&Q but can't see anything suitable for heavy-duty use on a water heater.  Maplin do one that is an electronic timer plus a 1hr boost - but I'm seeking a simple on/off wall panel with a something like a 15minute activation period or an alternative variable boost option.

any thoughts welcome.

Re: time-limited activation of immersion heater
« Reply #1 on: 10 May, 2008, 07:32:48 am »
Hi Mr M

I've found this company very good; if you enter 'Horstmann' in the Product Search, then click on the search result, it should take you to p114 of their extensive catalogue, and the first Hostmann control listed on that page might be suitable.

HTH

« Reply #2 on: 10 May, 2008, 07:40:44 am »
well blow me.

top of the list!

and top of the class for the link.  ta muchly.  Now to find photo to get it past the fashion police prior to order!

Edit:  Its on blooming page 431 of the Screwfix catalogue! (albeit disguised as a central heating component)

« Reply #3 on: 12 May, 2008, 10:19:25 pm »
Somewhere in my "box of bits" I've got a fairly normal timer which used to be on the immersion heater in the old house.  It had a button on it which you could press once for 1 hour on, twice for 2 hours on, or again to revert to whatever state it was in before you pressed the button.  Dead useful for turning it on when you didn't normally need it, and it didn't interfere with the normal times.
Actually, it is rocket science.