Author Topic: Knife shops in London  (Read 6365 times)

Knife shops in London
« on: 15 June, 2008, 07:37:48 pm »
I'm looking to buy a cooking knife for camping (probably folding, but possibly one with a sheath).  I'd rather not buy online as I want to see how it feels for chopping stuff.  Any recommendations of somewhere in London that has a decent selection of that sort of thing?  (I was in an outdoors-type shop near Covent Garden on Friday & they didn't seem to have very much - mostly Swiss Army knives or Leatherman-knockoffs, which isn't what I want.)

Re: Knife shops in London
« Reply #1 on: 15 June, 2008, 07:43:34 pm »
I'm looking to buy a cooking knife for camping (probably folding, but possibly one with a sheath).  I'd rather not buy online as I want to see how it feels for chopping stuff.  Any recommendations of somewhere in London that has a decent selection of that sort of thing?  (I was in an outdoors-type shop near Covent Garden on Friday & they didn't seem to have very much - mostly Swiss Army knives or Leatherman-knockoffs, which isn't what I want.)

If you can be persuaded away from the folding variety you'll almost certainly find something in Pages or Leon Jaeggi in Shaftesbury Avenue or Denny's around the corner in Dean Street. All of whom supply to the catering trade.
Sheath?
As I recall you're a dab hand at piloting a sewing machine, no?

« Reply #2 on: 15 June, 2008, 07:47:31 pm »
Buck and Ryan in Holborn/Selfridges, and there's a good knife/tool shop near Victoria on Buckingham Palace Road.

« Reply #3 on: 15 June, 2008, 07:50:14 pm »
I know Pages & Jaeggi, & I could make my own sheath - that's definitely an option.  I'd like to look at what's available in the folding line first, though - will try Buck & Ryan & BPRd, thanks!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4 on: 15 June, 2008, 07:52:54 pm »
Charlotte's Frost Mora felt fine for cooking.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #5 on: 15 June, 2008, 07:53:56 pm »
Funnily enough, I was thinking of posting more or less the same request, although I'm willing to entertain looking at online sites as well, so long as I wouldn't be spending stupid amounts.

On the Zombocalypse ride I had a serrated kitchen knife, which was fine to use, but somewhat lethal in my camping kit, so it had to be wrapped up pretty thoroughly to avoid it putting a hole in something important, like me!  Certainly for my purposes folding would be a damned good idea, legal as well obviously, although that should go without saying for shops in the UK.

I'm not 100% sure of the law, I think it's OK so long as it has less than 3" of blade, and isn't a gravity knife or flick knife?  It'll live with most of my camping kit anyway, so isn't likely to be on my person unless I'm actually using it for something dangerous like cutting bread.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #6 on: 15 June, 2008, 08:01:42 pm »
UK knife law says:

- butterfly knives and flick knives are illegal full stop, under any circs.  (I *think* illegal to possess, even, certainly illegal to carry.)
- all other knives are legal to carry *if* either a) you have a good reason, or b) it's a pocketknife-type thing with a non-locking blade of 3" or less in length.

So if you're out camping & have it in your kit, you're OK under a), even if it's >3" and/or locking.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #7 on: 15 June, 2008, 08:11:26 pm »
(assuming you don't behave like an arse, that is)

Charlotte's Mora was lovely.  I'd be happy using that to prepare a meal.  Might I suggest making a sheath for a kitchen knife?  It's not hard, just fold leather or heavy cloth around the blade, mark and sew up, then add a belt loop.  For extra credit, soak the leather, stick the knife in and as it dries, it wet-forms to a snug fit...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #8 on: 15 June, 2008, 09:52:29 pm »
If you're carrying it packed away in your cooking gear, a proper sheath is a bit OTT. A couple of quid will buy you a plastic blade protector.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #9 on: 15 June, 2008, 10:04:54 pm »

Is that the truth?  Or will we hear about you going on a random french stick cutting frenzy during a beautiful summers day picnic?  I fear that the cheese will not be safe either?

Oh Silvermans over in East london.  They are a bit pricey but you could see what they have and source it cheaper.

« Reply #10 on: 15 June, 2008, 10:18:41 pm »
I usually take a big Opinel for camping food prep.  Very good for slicing veg  & cheap as chips.  They can be a tad awkward to open if the handle gets damp though.

The plastic handled Frost/Mora is another good choice.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: 15 June, 2008, 11:20:11 pm »
The Mora Frost is definitely what you need, Juliet.  They cost no more than a tenner and they can be bought in a lot of camping shops.  I've bought a proper leather sheath for mine that actually cost more than the knife itself!

You can see it (middle left) in the photo of my kit here.

I bought it here:

www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk

I can't recommend these guys highly enough.  Great outdoors gear at sensible prices  :thumbsup:

You're welcome to come and have a feel...  ;)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #12 on: 15 June, 2008, 11:42:27 pm »
What's wrong with a leathermans wave knife? Tis sharp, adequately long and it locks.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #13 on: 16 June, 2008, 09:52:10 am »
If it gets dirty (which cooking knives do), it's bloody hard to get properly clean.  I do have a Leatherman, & I love it, but I don't want to risk it getting buggered up with onion/garlic/carrot/whatever juice & bits. 

« Reply #14 on: 16 June, 2008, 11:11:01 am »
Frosts Mora - Charlotte, how long is the blade on your knife?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: 16 June, 2008, 11:13:01 am »
Four inches.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #16 on: 16 June, 2008, 11:16:06 am »
The Mora Frost is definitely what you need, Juliet.  They cost no more than a tenner and they can be bought in a lot of camping shops.  I've bought a proper leather sheath for mine that actually cost more than the knife itself!

You can see it (middle left) in the photo of my kit here.

I bought it here:

www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk

I can't recommend these guys highly enough.  Great outdoors gear at sensible prices  :thumbsup:

You're welcome to come and have a feel...  ;)

Wheras I have this one which has a more pronounced rock on the blade and a chunkier handle. I have had it for 10 years and it is excellent. If you are at the York Rally I will be using it for cooking there. Great for veg prep, bunny chunking etc. (and cutting scouts hands off who don't use it properly when whittling)

Oh, and on the folding/non-folding debate. A proper knife for a <barley-picker>Proper Job</Barley-Picker>. Cleaning gungy folding knives is No Fun At All (tm)

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Zoidburg

« Reply #17 on: 16 June, 2008, 06:36:56 pm »
Seconded on the Frost Mora, the scandanavian style blades are about the best for purpose, IIRC correctly the frost is the same as a Swedish military issue survival knife

I have a Helle Safari which is it bit larger and comes with a sheath, they make smaller ones as well and you would not be disapointed by any of them.