Author Topic: Which hand blender?  (Read 1837 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Which hand blender?
« on: 19 June, 2008, 10:32:20 am »
Mine died last night while I was trying to make whizzy sauce. I was not pleased as it was my 2nd meal change of the night!

My mum's got a Bamix (or a Barmix) from Lakeland which seems quite good but I don't think I can justify the thick end of 80 quid.

Any recommendations for something that does the job and is easy to clean?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Which hand blender?
« Reply #1 on: 19 June, 2008, 10:40:10 am »
Depends on needs and just what you mean by hand blender.  Kenwood do a fantastic one that has 2 or 3 attachments, and soup/sauce making widget, a mini food processor and a bigger one (and/or a coffee grinder/herb chopper) along with a whisk attachment, which I have only ever managed to use to paint the kitchen with cream!.  Variable speed and two speed control buttons make for an excellent kitchen tool.  IIRC ours was around £60 and I use it a good 2 or 3 times a week.  It is still going strong after 4 years abuse.

From Kenwood world it would seem you need to be looking at the HB665:
Food processors, mixers, blenders, bread makers, juicers, coffee machines, toasters, kettles.
Or a colour co-ordinated, and more powerful HB790:
Food processors, mixers, blenders, bread makers, juicers, coffee machines, toasters, kettles.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #2 on: 19 June, 2008, 11:47:06 am »
This one!   :thumbsup:

Gets a 5 star rating from me!
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #3 on: 19 June, 2008, 11:51:03 am »
behind FB here- the Braun just runs and runs.
A shitter and a giggler.

« Reply #4 on: 19 June, 2008, 11:54:03 am »
I have a really ancient Braun that I was given by someone upgrading, it is still going strong after about 14 years, and it wasn't new when it was given to me (I was a weird kid hankering after a hand blender!).

The once-white plastic just looks a bit yellow but I can deal with that, it whizzes up soups and stuff a treat.

« Reply #5 on: 19 June, 2008, 10:14:47 pm »
We've got a Bamix too.

Incomparable. Def worth the £80, and I can't believe I am saying that.
Rust never sleeps

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: 19 June, 2008, 10:47:36 pm »
I'm afraid in the end I spent almost as much money on a Dualit, with a chopper attachment, a balloon whisk and a pair of other whisks (which I probably won't use much).
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #7 on: 22 June, 2008, 05:43:15 pm »

« Reply #8 on: 22 June, 2008, 06:49:40 pm »
Mine was the cheapest one that I could find in Argos, about a fiver iirc.  It's still working after about five years, but I don't use it that much though, so probably not a fair comment on it's reliability.

There's something to be said for cheap kit though, for £5 each, you could buy 16 of them for £80, and just throw them out the window when they break (or indeed just get a bit dirty!) ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.