Author Topic: Sale of property when one partner is in a care home.  (Read 661 times)

Sale of property when one partner is in a care home.
« on: 24 March, 2012, 07:00:03 pm »
My Dad, poor old chap, needs to be in a care home and when he went in the bank account(s) was divided equally between Mum and Dad so that the care home costs would not come out of Mum's half of the savings.  Now though because she has lost Dad's pension, money is becoming tight so she is thinking of downsizing fom the 2 bed flat to a one bed flat.

If she sell the flat and buys somewhere cheaper should half of the difference be paid into Dad's account?  Or, worst case, once the flat is sold then should half of the proceeds of the sale be paid into Dad's account?

The former is bad news the latter would mean staying put.

What kind of person would be the best to talk to?  Accountant, Citizens Advice...?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Russell

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: Sale of property when one partner is in a care home.
« Reply #1 on: 24 March, 2012, 07:59:51 pm »
Check with the social work office. I'm pretty sure that half the proceeds of the sale would be counted as your dad's assets and therefore he would be assessed as having that money available to contribute to his care costs. However, your mum still has to live somewhere and there are very good grounds for the local authority to assess your dad's assets as being half of what's left over once she's bought somewhere new. Make sure you get any advice from them in writing though.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.