Author Topic: 'myhermes' parcel shops - for receiving parcels  (Read 1693 times)

'myhermes' parcel shops - for receiving parcels
« on: 28 September, 2015, 11:01:23 am »
Anyone used the myhermes parcel system as a recipient?

I need to send something valuable to my daughter - she lives in a complex of flats and I don't want to risk a courier 'leaving it with the neighbours'. There is a shop that is a MyHermes place nearby, so that seems a much more secure way to ship the parcel (send to shop, she picks up from shop when convenient).

Ugh, forget it. I just checked - they will only cover parcels with compensation up to £250.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Re: 'myhermes' parcel shops - for receiving parcels
« Reply #1 on: 28 September, 2015, 04:16:41 pm »
Find the nearest trusted forummer lol
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2 on: 28 September, 2015, 04:17:46 pm »
No but I have returned stuff with something like it. Just print out, though sometime the return papers are already in the parcel, stick it on the box. Head down to your local, corner shop in my case, beep the car code, leave parcel.

I think getting a parcel is similar easy.

Best part with the ones I did, was the that owner of corner shop knew me - went past every day and used it often - so some sort of "guarantee" and fast service. So if you could send to a shop where they know her face, it might make life easier.

Best part is that you can collect outside normal parcel office hours, as some corner shops are open until late and even 24/7.

As for secure I would say it is a secure as any parcel handling service you can find. Unless you pay for it to be delivered to her personally, where ever she is when not at home.

EDIT : Valiant has it :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #3 on: 28 September, 2015, 04:33:03 pm »
that kind of runs into the same problems as delivering to her; it is dependent on someone being there!

How many of us have had horror stories of parcels delivered to wrong addresses, left on doorstep, etc?

Seems Interparcel also offer a delivery to shop service, and there is a shop near her address - with evening opening times. They'll provide insurance cover for a fee.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #4 on: 28 September, 2015, 04:50:49 pm »
Those shops are called Collect+ points, and they can be used to drop off or pick up parcels from most of the suppliers these days, it's incredibly cheap to do a C+ to C+ delivery if memory serves.

Interparcel is rebadged UPS service if memory serves. I'd do that and get her to pick it up from the store.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: 28 September, 2015, 04:59:20 pm »
I've used CollectPlus a few times, no problems. They have loads of local shops for pickup/dropoff. It is delivered by Yodel. They have the option of compensation up to £300.

Or a few companies have lockers you can collect from. eg InPost. https://inpost.co.uk/

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #6 on: 28 September, 2015, 05:25:51 pm »
DHL and UPS also Collect+

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #7 on: 29 September, 2015, 06:52:54 am »
Have used Hermes both ways, no problems so far..
Move Faster and Bake Things

Ben T

« Reply #8 on: 29 September, 2015, 07:19:22 am »
You can get stuff delivered to a post office.
Just address it to e.g. "Joe Bloggs, c/o Anytown Post Office,... " etc.
Not sure about compensation, but probably as reliable as any other

« Reply #9 on: 29 September, 2015, 08:25:23 am »
I didn't know that, Ben. Will check it out, thanks.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #10 on: 29 September, 2015, 01:05:31 pm »
Look up Poste Restante if you want it to be kept at the post office. http://www.royalmail.com/delivery/outbound-mail/poste-restante
Not sure if its covered for compensation, would it work for special delivery?