Author Topic: "In 1066 on Christmas Morn" - anyone know the rest?  (Read 2076 times)

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
"In 1066 on Christmas Morn" - anyone know the rest?
« on: 17 June, 2016, 07:59:06 pm »
My mother (born 1915) used to recite passages from a long doggerel poem giving significant dates in English History, which she probably learned by rote at school.  Today I came across her manuscript copy (with a few gaps) of the period between 527 "Erkenwin came / Northumbria the Angles claim" and 1217 when "The Frenchmen retreat/The same year brave Hubert-de-Burgh took their fleet."

There was a lot more. I vaguely remember "In 61 from loss in strife/ Boadicea destroyed her life" and I think it went up to at least the Crimean War.

Does anyone remember any more? I seems strangely unGoogleable.  ???
Jennifer - Walker of hills

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Re: "In 1066 on Christmas Morn" - anyone know the rest?
« Reply #1 on: 17 June, 2016, 10:54:15 pm »
In 1066 on Christmas Morn
Another little baby boy was born
In the ghettooooooooo
(In the ghettooooooooo)
Milk please, no sugar.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 18 June, 2016, 09:34:20 am »
^^^ aargh.

I'm still trying to find the words to Robert Robinson's "Oh Dog our whelp in ages past".  When I search for them Google goes all hissy-holy on me, and if I insist it throws up page upon page on canine parturition.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

JennyB

« Reply #3 on: 18 June, 2016, 06:42:06 pm »
Well. at least now I've got a plausible source: 'English Dates in Dreadful Doggerel', an Instructional book written by A. G. Grenfell, with rhymes and short-cut methods of learning dates, monarchs and historical facts.

Grenfell was the headmaster of the former Mostyn House School in Parkgate, Cheshire, and a brother (I think) to Wilfred Grenfell, the medical missionary.

There's a copy in the Cheshire Archives, apparently - ref. SP 5/8427/46 but none on-line.  :-\

JennyB

« Reply #4 on: 18 June, 2016, 11:07:03 pm »
^^^ aargh.

I'm still trying to find the words to Robert Robinson's "Oh Dog our whelp in ages past".  When I search for them Google goes all hissy-holy on me, and if I insist it throws up page upon page on canine parturition.

Purely a guess:

Oh Dog our whelp in ages past
Our pup for years to come
Our Sheltie in the stormy blast
And our eternal Pom.

Before the weimaraners stood
Or there had been Great Danes
 From everlasting thou art Dog
And answer to thy name.

?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 19 June, 2016, 08:18:43 am »
Something like that. I can remember the last line of V1 as "And our eternal chum".

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 19 June, 2016, 03:13:01 pm »
Well. at least now I've got a plausible source: 'English Dates in Dreadful Doggerel', an Instructional book written by A. G. Grenfell, with rhymes and short-cut methods of learning dates, monarchs and historical facts.

Grenfell was the headmaster of the former Mostyn House School in Parkgate, Cheshire, and a brother (I think) to Wilfred Grenfell, the medical missionary.

There's a copy in the Cheshire Archives, apparently - ref. SP 5/8427/46 but none on-line.  :-\
Has to be an ancestor of Joyce, surely!

In the ghettooooooooo
(In the ghettooooooooo)
So he buys a sword
And he steals a horse
And he tries to ride
But he falls of course
In the ghetto
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7 on: 19 June, 2016, 04:07:12 pm »
1217 when "The Frenchmen retreat/The same year brave Hubert-de-Burgh took their fleet."

Any relation of Lady Catherine?

JennyB

« Reply #8 on: 19 June, 2016, 04:37:32 pm »

I'd thought of that too (I'm a big fan of hers) but Grenfell was her married name, and her husband was a different line of the family anyway.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #9 on: 19 June, 2016, 08:51:42 pm »

In the ghettooooooooo
(In the ghettooooooooo)
So he buys a sword
And he steals a horse
And he tries to ride
But he falls of course
In the ghetto

And his momma cried

Milk please, no sugar.