Author Topic: Recommend eye protection goggles  (Read 900 times)

Recommend eye protection goggles
« on: 16 June, 2016, 11:28:24 am »
I have a pair of these, I even wear them, sometimes. Not always, because they aren't very comfortable or easy to see through. I even have a pair of these somewhere which I might use from time to time, but even when I do (when wearing contacts) I end up peering through the bottom, so the eye protection is limited.

So why am I asking? The other day I was using my Dremel to split a plastic case. It's plastic, not metal, and I was wearing spectacles, so no worry, eh? Except  that a gob of burning hot plastic about 6mm wide shot up and burned the skin, 3mm away from the corner of my eye. I feel rather lucky, the potential consequences make me feel a little queasy.

So, I am going to be a good boy in future, and wear eye protection whenever I should (using dremel, grinding, strimming etc). If nothing else I'll wear the £1.40 ones but I'm sure there must be better alternatives.....any experience of ones providing best vision?

(possible alternative locations for this post included "I'm such a feckin' div" and "gory injuries")

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
Re: Recommend eye protection goggles
« Reply #1 on: 16 June, 2016, 11:36:06 am »
The orange ones by Uvex are better for vision as they have the wraparound lens. The nose piece is like a molded silicone sheet that flattens around the bridge of the nose to form a seal and to support the googles. Because it's soft it doesn't dig in like the cheap goggles. Rather a clever design.

« Reply #2 on: 16 June, 2016, 11:59:14 am »
There's similar to the UVEX by Bolle (I doubt there's a massive difference between the two), which I have used in the past.

Sorry no link. Our firewall prevents me from looking up engineering safety wear despite working for an engineering company!
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3 on: 16 June, 2016, 12:02:19 pm »
depends what you are doing.

The wraparound specs are OK as general light eye protection for dust, low velocity impact protection etc.

Anything where seriously nasty chemicals are involved or high velocity objects involved really needs a minimum of goggles, or in some circumstances a visor.

Bitumen for example always has visors involved, just due to the temperatures, I'd apply the same to stone cutting for example, or tree felling.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens