Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134427 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #13625 on: 25 February, 2019, 04:11:15 pm »
Started on first bike as I noticed lower jockey wheel was really a set of nubs covered in grease. Luckily had a spare jockey wheel. Used the new degreaser from Screwfix (5ltr for £8.99). i'm not paying for expensive lemon scented bike degreaser again. this stuff is great so used sparingly. years of accumulated road grime removed. Onto winter bike and found the top jockey wheel to be more or less seized so fortunately have a spare. same story with the degreaser. Commuting fixed then wiped down ready for the week. I have a rear derailleur extender to fit as I need to lower my gears slightly and the bikes have short cage mechs. 12-29 and 13-28 also to be fitted as well as new chainrings (on the way from Germany as they are considerably cheaper there - despite the shipping cost)

Mix the Screwfix degreaser with one-third water and it's even cheaper and just as effective.  One word of warning - don't leave stuff soaking in it for too long as it forms  a "bloom" on some metals.

Rob

« Reply #13626 on: 25 February, 2019, 07:23:53 pm »
In pursuit of a clicking sound.

I've had the chainset off & cleaned/regreased, seatpost out & cleaned/regreased, saddle off & rails cleaned/regreased

Only to later realise the rear mech wasn't screwed all the way in and neither was the mount for the rear disc caliper, fingers crossed I've got it. I'll find out in the morning and if I've not, I'm not sure what else to clean & regrease

BB or headset would make sense I guess...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #13627 on: 26 February, 2019, 07:11:53 pm »
I'm slowly fettling the new (to me) Genesis. Today I've replaced the 36t inner ring with a 34t one. 46-34 makes a more useful chainset I think, and while it's still got an SS rear derailleur, I prefer the idea of 34-28 to 36-28 as a bottom gear. I've also cleaned the disc rotors with brake cleaner, and bedded the brakes in. I was underwhelmed with the TRP spyres when it arrived, as I expected more from disc brakes. They are feeling a lot more powerful now. :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #13628 on: 26 February, 2019, 08:09:58 pm »
reassemled the runabout, casually ignoring my buggeration of threads on RHS of the crankset.  Next time it comes off it'll be to change it, and if necessary I have plenty of options to exert brute force.

Next up is the Giant, need to swap a spacer from LHS to RHS to sort the chainline.  Tweaked the front mech cable tensioner today to make it run a bit smoother
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #13629 on: 26 February, 2019, 08:25:38 pm »
Took advantage of the unseasonal weather to spray the Poo Brown Holdsworth.  Which is now a creamy light blue.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

fuzzy

« Reply #13630 on: 26 February, 2019, 08:53:25 pm »
No today but on Friday I carried out my first Brompton hinge pivot replacement. Very satisfying drilling, driving and reaming.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13631 on: 02 March, 2019, 01:27:34 pm »
Drilled and tapped a hole in the sticky-out bit of the feeler doodah on my somewhat inadequate Park truing stand & put a 4mm screw through with a valve cap on the end to stop it scratching the rim. Feeler can now be adjusted in a controlled manner through fractions of a mm rather than the push pull jerk bugrit method intended by the perpetrators.

Trued up my wavy front wheel.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #13632 on: 02 March, 2019, 09:09:41 pm »
Removed a hsealant filled) tyre, removed and replaced rim tape, remounted tyre. Sealed ok except around valve. Several hours and inflations later it looks like it’s finally sealed. Taped the bars of the winter/utility bike.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #13633 on: 05 March, 2019, 02:31:31 pm »
Sunday I finished off the wiring to the dyno-lights, all working nicely, just have to do an after-dark spin to align the front light. Adapted a Cateye saddle rail mount to attach the light bracket to the rear of the rack-bag on the utility bike, so I have a battery back-up / alternative to the dyno-lights.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #13634 on: 05 March, 2019, 11:22:26 pm »
I have a working laptop monitor again :)

Why replacing the screen involves dismantling the majority of the computer I've no idea, but I didn't end up with any screws left over and only broke one plastic tab so I'll count that as a win
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #13635 on: 09 March, 2019, 01:37:49 pm »
We use clothes pegs from Muji, vendor of its own unbranded goods.

They seem to last longer than other pegs, but eventually the plastic deteriorates from UV light and one of the two identical component plastic arms snaps.

I'm in the habit of waiting for two to break, then molishing one peg from the remains by using the two good arms held together by one metal spring.

The satisfaction is totally out of proportion to the financial savings.  ::-)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13636 on: 09 March, 2019, 02:10:16 pm »
We use wooden ones. They're more likely to get lost than to break and you can adapt them for different jobs, e.g. cutting the noses down fine or separating one peg and gluing the halves onto the jaws of a complete peg to give longer-reaching peg with a bigger bite.  I've also used these with draught strip between the jaws.

ElyDave

« Reply #13637 on: 09 March, 2019, 04:00:28 pm »
That gives me an idea for a trigger for my mini ballista that is languishing in the lair

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13638 on: 10 March, 2019, 02:59:42 pm »
Cut a plastic bottle in half and am using the top & a sheet of paper to catch stink bugs & put them out. The transparent sides alarm the beasts much less than the two sheets of paper I was using before, so that they don't let fly with the niff.

I did have the idea, though, of alarming one with an unpaid bill* and enclosing same in an envelope with the cheque to pay it.

* they threatened its life with a railway share

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13639 on: 10 March, 2019, 03:56:11 pm »
Removed a defunct Cyo (I'm sure it shouldn't sound like a maraca) from HK's MTB commuter and flint-mined and topped up both tyres.

Flint-mined the tyres and brake pads on my fixed.

Replaced the Al bidon cages with SS, swapped taillight batteries and flint-mined the tyres on HK's Kinesis. Also cracked out a Tacx crank bolt spanner while trying to eliminate a recent BB creak.

Put handlebar tape on an older lady's shopping trolley thingy.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #13640 on: 10 March, 2019, 04:04:59 pm »
Fitted new pedals and saddle to Miss von Brandenburg's MTB.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #13641 on: 10 March, 2019, 05:36:08 pm »
A couple of tubeless tyres fitted (one twice, see div thread  ::-)). Cut the steerer on the Domane, fitted Di2 wiring and brake hoses through the frame, fitted the Token “Ninja” BB (that was started yesterday but I needed  3/8” to 1/2” adaptor for my torque wrench), and rough mounted the calipers.

« Reply #13642 on: 10 March, 2019, 06:35:21 pm »
A new garden shed felt roof. Half disappeared overnight. One of my least favourite jobs.
Rust never sleeps

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #13643 on: 10 March, 2019, 08:26:25 pm »
Straightened a flange on a 1965 Campag Record Pista hub.  Easier than it sounds - was about 0.5mm out but right at one "spoke" of the flange, so just needed a gentle tweak with an adjustable spanner (with soft stuff in between the jaws and the flange).  Perfectly true now.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #13644 on: 10 March, 2019, 08:39:50 pm »
Fabricating a steel 'handle' for an old concrete manhole cover ro replace the rusted through reinforcing bar provided previously. Cheapskates could have used stainless. Will replace the cover when having the external paving replaced.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

ElyDave

« Reply #13645 on: 13 March, 2019, 02:56:34 pm »
chain line on the Giant. Wasn't sure where the spaces around the BB needed to be when I originally set it up.  I was wrong.  So last night was
1) split chain, and find unused quick link to remake it
2) move a spacer from one side to the other - doesn't greasing stuff when assembling make it easier
3) fart about with the front triple set up for half an hour, about as long as steps 1 & 2 together

Seems to be shifting OK, but not entirely perfect. It's an MTB crankset with road front mech and shifter - are the ring spacings the same I wonder?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13646 on: 14 March, 2019, 11:03:59 am »
Bored out broken plastic shelf-support studs in a bookcase and banged in some bits of 6mm dowel.

« Reply #13647 on: 16 March, 2019, 03:08:09 pm »
The Sabbath September into a rideable state after not touching it since September.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #13648 on: 16 March, 2019, 04:31:34 pm »
finished shaving weight off my carbon frame - literally. it has served me v.well over the years and 40,000+km (including 2 pbp's, 2 tcr's, multiple sr's and around ten flights/trips abroad), only the lacquer has chipped off in quite a few places giving it a tired look. so decided to remove it and leave it bare or paint sometime in the future if i feel like it. saved around 60g in the process. fork is next.

« Reply #13649 on: 16 March, 2019, 04:41:29 pm »
finished shaving weight off my carbon frame - literally. it has served me v.well over the years and 40,000+km (including 2 pbp's, 2 tcr's, multiple sr's and around ten flights/trips abroad), only the lacquer has chipped off in quite a few places giving it a tired look. so decided to remove it and leave it bare or paint sometime in the future if i feel like it. saved around 60g in the process. fork is next.
That'll make you significantly faster  ;)