Author Topic: Venetian Nights 210k  (Read 22092 times)

Re: Venetian Nights 210k
« Reply #50 on: 03 October, 2012, 01:04:13 am »
Aha, Watson!  An elementary southist mistake: Wensley Dale, not Wensleydale.  The closer the words asre together, the further away they are!

Edit: Chris, this wouldn't have arisen if they'd just called Wensleydale "Uredale" or "Yoredale", which is what it is really!

Chris S

« Reply #51 on: 03 October, 2012, 01:09:32 am »
Aha, Watson!  An elementary southist mistake: Wensley Dale, not Wensleydale.  The closer the words asre together, the further away they are!

This is one of the things that annoys me. Two entirely different places - same name. It's just not necessary, and it's a pain.

Another thing that annoys me is village signs that are nowhere near the village, followed by another village sign somewhat nearer the village, and then sometimes a third sign in the village itself. Why not do what the French do - one sign going into the village, another sign with a big red line through it, on the way out? Makes much more sense.

« Reply #52 on: 03 October, 2012, 01:17:34 am »
I'm in total agreement!  something that irked me on my first audaxes was how long it sometimes took to reach a village the sign for which you had passed some time ago.  I think it may have something to do with parish boundaries.  Or self-aggrandisement; loads of times I've passed a sign saying something like Saint Really Big Village Magna and it's two pigs and a sweet wrapper.

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #53 on: 03 October, 2012, 10:50:00 am »
You'll be fine. We tandemed it 2 years ago (first edition) and the trail is fine. Worst part was the looong 1:7 descent into Matlock Bath.

I remember that from last time - my hands had rictus from gripping the brakes for so long.

We are considering taking the slightly less steep, and possibly less twisty descent through Wensleydale instead of the advertised route. Adds about a km.

Chris- I've recently set this ride up as a perm'  The Flashy Venetian 2.75 AAA. It has a bit more climbing due to visiting Flash and doing Cromford hill twice, once from each side  :P , but it does take the Wensley route down into Matlock. As you say the gradient is less, but still steep, and there is some climb at the end just after Oaker. It brings you out right in front of Sainsburys. I have emailed you the Flashy Ven. route sheet. The diversion is routed in section 3 between 37.1km and 47.3km.
Anybody else wants a copy e me.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #54 on: 03 October, 2012, 10:57:41 am »
Cromford Hill TWICE :o

You are  :demon:

;D

Chris S

« Reply #55 on: 03 October, 2012, 10:58:26 am »
As you say the gradient is less, but still steep, and there is some climb at the end just after Oaker.

Hmm... though I think that assumes you fork right through Oaker, rather than continue down through Darley Bridge to the A6, which was my plan.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #56 on: 03 October, 2012, 10:59:30 am »
I'm in as well.
At the moment I'm planning to ride to the start/from the finish but I reserve the right to get the train back from Macclesfield if I need to  ;)

Top man !! See you there and I'll have a gander at your new bike.

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #57 on: 03 October, 2012, 11:02:55 am »
Cromford Hill TWICE :o

You are  :demon:

;D
Fraid not. Info's are not allowed on perm 200k's so it needs a control at the filling station in Wirksworth.
As you say the gradient is less, but still steep, and there is some climb at the end just after Oaker.

Hmm... though I think that assumes you fork right through Oaker, rather than continue down through Darley Bridge to the A6, which was my plan.
Hmmm... Softie, Have you run this past Boabacca?

Chris S

« Reply #58 on: 03 October, 2012, 11:10:03 am »

;D

Well of course, I'm driving so she has to follow me. However, not wishing to leave her out of the loop so to speak, I sought approval for both route mods I had in mind - this one, and a slightly different route between The Roaches and Hartington (slightly less choppy via Warslow). The Matlock approach change was approved because that descent is pretty technical, but the other mod was not approved on account of the fact that she "really liked that bit to Hartington".

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #59 on: 03 October, 2012, 11:24:12 am »

;D

Well of course, I'm driving so she has to follow me. However, not wishing to leave her out of the loop so to speak, I sought approval for both route mods I had in mind - this one, and a slightly different route between The Roaches and Hartington (slightly less choppy via Warslow). The Matlock approach change was approved because that descent is pretty technical, but the other mod was not approved on account of the fact that she "really liked that bit to Hartington".

Oh right we're in the clear then :D

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #60 on: 03 October, 2012, 11:31:25 am »
Have you run this past Boabacca?

what a cracking handle :thumbsup:

« Reply #61 on: 03 October, 2012, 11:41:03 am »
 ;D

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #62 on: 03 October, 2012, 11:51:29 am »
^^^^^

:thumbsup:

you will of course have to now refer to your tandem as a chariot ;D

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #63 on: 04 October, 2012, 08:05:14 pm »

Venetian Nights 210km from Broken Cross nr Macclesfield 0800 Sat 6th October 2012

Still a few places left. Entry on the line OK. Phone 01625 614830.
Dry and bright with light winds forecast.
34 riders so far room for 6 more.
Get your Oct RRTY in before it all goes pear shaped. :P

« Reply #64 on: 04 October, 2012, 09:06:12 pm »
Down to 5 places now ;)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #65 on: 04 October, 2012, 09:09:30 pm »

Venetian Nights 210km from Broken Cross nr Macclesfield 0800 Sat 6th October 2012

Still a few places left. Entry on the line OK. Phone 01625 614830.
Dry and bright with light winds forecast.
34 riders so far room for 6 more.
Get your Oct RRTY in before it all goes pear shaped. :P

are you colluding with the yacfer who is "encouraging" me to ride, via PM received immediatley prior to you posting?
 ;D

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #66 on: 04 October, 2012, 10:09:19 pm »
Down to 5 places now ;)
Thanks Jim
and Mark

are you colluding with the yacfer who is "encouraging" me to ride, via PM received immediatley prior to you posting?
 ;D
Well no not Guilty but he ( or she) is right. Start the new season as you would like to continue O:-) :thumbsup:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #67 on: 04 October, 2012, 10:21:16 pm »
I'm not able,atm, to do 200km with that amount of climbing BUT I have this ride on my "Perms to-do list"
when circs. allow.

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #68 on: 04 October, 2012, 10:25:57 pm »
I'm not able,atm, to do 200km with that amount of climbing BUT I have this ride on my "Perms to-do list"
when circs. allow.

Oh right so it's up Cromford hill followed by up Cromford hill then  :demon:
Are you selling the video rights? ;D

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #69 on: 04 October, 2012, 10:30:08 pm »
I intend to acquire very very short membership of the Ramblers Association.
24" gear,ftw

« Reply #70 on: 06 October, 2012, 10:25:51 pm »
A cracking ride.  Thanks to John for organising and to his team for the lovely food.  Well done to all the participants - the weather was the complete opposite to last weekend's Last Chance Dales Dance, which made the descent of the Cat & Fiddle rather special again.  Also well done to Peter and Bob for the entertainment they provided on the way round - each in their own individual way!

« Reply #71 on: 07 October, 2012, 09:08:40 am »
Thanks to John and family for another excellent event.

Chris S

« Reply #72 on: 07 October, 2012, 05:51:48 pm »
Super welcome from JP and Co at the start; this is one of the best starts to an audax there is.

First part of the ride plan worked (to TT the flat part) - and this was the longest we've ever kept up with Flatearthbob on a ride and we were in danger of beating the clock to the first control.

Our ride ended pulling away from the R@T in Bunbury, opposite the church. With no warning, the rear hub let go just as we were putting full get-away power through. Needless to say, such trauma meant we had no time at all to unclip, and we both hit the deck with a crunch.

boabacca: "You ok?"
Me: "Ugh... Not really, you?"
boabacca: "Not really."

We picked ourselves up from all over the road and reassured a Nice Lady in a car that we seemed OK. We swore a lot (opposite the Church too for crying out loud, sorry God) and checked ourselves over - thankfully only minor bruises and contusions.

The bike was unrideable - a hub full of neutrals once again. We swore a hell of a lot at the bike.

We walked to the shop where most riders were doing PoP duties. I flipped the wheel to our emergency single speed sprocket which we fitted after the last time this happened, so we could at least get ourselves back to base. We ate food, and contemplated our lot in the company of others, but then got underway to limp home (there was no way we had the appetite to try and fix it, although we had spares with us, nor attempt the rest of the ride on a single speed tandem).

However - it then got worse. The single speed sprocket clearly wasn't going to play nicely with the new chain I'd fitted last week, and it was skippier than a family-sized packet of Skips. We tried various configurations of chain/sprocket/chain-ring/derailleur, but to no avail. So we had to walk/freewheel/skipitty-skip ride to the nearest place that looked like it might have a pub/cafe; and that turned out to be Tarporley.

We had a totally undeserved lunch, before I took an expensive cab-ride back to Broken Cross to collect the car.

When I was back in Tarporley, bike loaded up and sitting in the car with boabacca, she said "I've had a text from Jogler. He suggests we pop into Longstaff's on the way back and see if they can sort out a wheel."

So we drove over to Longstaff's, but failed to get a replacement wheel - largely because it looked a lot like the stays had already been cold set from 135 OLN to 140 in the past, and the only Shimano hubs they had were 145s. So for now, we're tandemless - but a solution is being worked on, so we'll be back on the road again soon no doubt.

Thanks again to Jogler and Marj for providing accommodation, CAKE, and chat over the weekend, and to JP and Co for the ride organisation. We'll have another crack at it next year.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #73 on: 07 October, 2012, 05:53:23 pm »
Great day out, weather dance by JayP worked to perfection.
Set off with Chocolatebike and after a while he said "must remember not to go off too  fast", then took off like a scalded cat. Didn't see him till the first control and we set out together after that, seeing ChrisS and boab in Bunbury. Choco said "I hope they're alright" I said "f**k 'em, it's an Audax!!"  ;) I believe they abandoned (sorry for not stopping  :-[)
Nice run to the Roaches but just before my chain snapped (my immense quad power, not my huge weight) but I had a powerlink so was soon stuffing into an oat cake.
At Matlock Choco came up behind me and we rode the rest together. The evening sun setting was beautiful whilst going up the Tissington trail. Another few portions of cake and flapjack from JayP's van hit the spot.
Came across Peter and Bob (on his third puncture) and gave moral support (me - "pity it's not the front tyre, you could pull a wheelie the rest of the way" (15 miles at that time).
Top grub back at the finish, the beef stew was delicious and made by JayP himself, top man  :thumbsup:
Good to ride with Choco, who had a strong ride, normally I ride all on my own.

Best of all, I've just found the piece of flapjack which I took from JayP's van and scoffed it  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #74 on: 07 October, 2012, 07:56:26 pm »