Author Topic: The YACF Bumper book of Plot Holes  (Read 15130 times)

Re: The YACF Bumper book of Plot Holes
« Reply #50 on: 17 April, 2015, 07:00:17 pm »
Here in pedants' corner Volvo someone has just pointed out that Lions Don't live in the jungle.

Sigh.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #51 on: 17 April, 2015, 09:58:18 pm »
Perhaps they go there on holibobs...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #52 on: 17 April, 2015, 10:04:22 pm »
Nahh, they only *sleep* in the jungle, commuting to the savanna for the day job.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #53 on: 17 April, 2015, 10:19:04 pm »
I vaguely recall a "Cats or dogs?  12 or 24 hour clock?" conversation soon after I met barakta.  "Star Trek or Babylon 5?" wasn't even a question.

Tim: Derek? Babylon 5's a big pile of shit!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #54 on: 17 April, 2015, 10:24:26 pm »
Get out!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #55 on: 18 April, 2015, 08:59:21 am »
Hooray!

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #56 on: 19 April, 2015, 09:05:22 am »
And as for re-writing history to put USAnia in a better light...
Objective, Burma!  Errol Flynn liberates Burma single handed (sort of).

Filmed in Australia with Chinese extras, who speak Japanese with Chinese accents. The birdsong is Australian; I could hear golden whistlers, honeyeaters and trillers, and, several times, a kookaburra.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #57 on: 24 April, 2015, 02:01:59 pm »
We have been given cause to wonder why, in the first-born of the "Star Wars" franchise, those in command of the DETH Star did not simply blow the planet Yavin into little tiny pieces and take out Yavin 4, and the rebel scum on it, in the process.

Oh, wait, that may contain SCIENCE or traces of SCIENCE.

Chris S

« Reply #58 on: 24 April, 2015, 02:11:55 pm »
Probably for the same or similar reasons Frodo didn't just ride a feckin' Eagle to Mount Doom and lob the wretched ring in.

« Reply #59 on: 24 April, 2015, 02:38:12 pm »
We have been given cause to wonder why, in the first-born of the "Star Wars" franchise, those in command of the DETH Star did not simply blow the planet Yavin into little tiny pieces and take out Yavin 4, and the rebel scum on it, in the process.

Oh, wait, that may contain SCIENCE or traces of SCIENCE.

<geek_ON>

IIRC, the whilst the moon on which the Rebel Scum had set up base was made of rock, the planet it was orbiting was a gas giant, which might have required more than one shot from the DETH Star's giant frikkin'... <hand gesture> lazr to go KABOOM with enough alacrity to reduce property values on Yavin 4 down to those typical for Moss Side.

So with Grand Moff Tarkin Marvin going, "Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to be a Yavin-shattering KABOOM!", and the giant frikkin'... <hand gesture> lazr's power supply needing a day to recharge, there's still time for a farm-boy to make the million-to-one shot that occurs nine times out of ten.

Might as well go for accelerating Yavin 4's crust and mantle to escape velocity from the start.

<geek_OFF>
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #60 on: 24 April, 2015, 03:02:55 pm »
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #61 on: 24 April, 2015, 03:13:05 pm »
Yes, really.

FWIW, Mr Larrington asked a question, I chose to answer it, though there should be enough textual clues in that post as to how seriously I was taking said exercise.

Got a problem with that?
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Chris S

« Reply #62 on: 11 June, 2015, 06:43:37 pm »
In the battle scene, right at the start of Lord of The Rings Pt 1 (Fellowship of the Ring): Why doesn't wearing the one ring make Sauron invisible?

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #63 on: 11 June, 2015, 08:54:27 pm »
Actually, that's partly explained in the books.  The rings of power confer said power with relevance to ability or inherent power of the user, plus in the First and Second Ages Sauron had no reason to be invisible - indeed early on his appearance was described as 'fair'.  That's why the White Council are so afraid of it (apart from Saruman, who wants to wield it and thinks he'll get away with it) - they'd be able to actually use it rather than it use them, only gradually their power would be turned to evil.  Hobbits and the like only get the superficial stuff as the ring makes its way up the chain back to Sauron.  Incidentally in the book Tom Bombadil, for whom power is irrelevant, shows himself to be impervious to the ring, but equally can't be entrusted with it because he'd forget the relevance, and eventually the ring would work its way back to its master.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #64 on: 11 June, 2015, 09:17:56 pm »
Independence Day.  Even the most 1337 of h@xx0r5 would have been hard-pressed to unravel Alien-OS to the extent of writing a virus for it in that length of time.  And they probably wouldn't have used a Mac for doing it either.
Its a proof of galactic standards when every alien space craft has a USB socket on the bridge console and that Bill Gates stole the original version of Windows from the Roswell crash.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #65 on: 11 June, 2015, 09:38:55 pm »
I forget the name of the film…it was out about 10 years ago and concerned an asteroid hitting the Earth (somewhere over the USA of course) before killing us all to “DETH”…….

I got told off for shouting at the part where the asteroid flies in at about 10mph…well it seems that slow as people have the time to get to the hills to try and avoid it.

Deep Impact.

That was the credible one (I'll forgive it the high hobbit content, on the basis that the spaceship used an Orion drive and they had Morgan Freeman as president).  Armageddon - the Bruce Willis one - came out at around the same time, and was orders of magnitude worse.

For a given value of credible.

http://io9.com/a-scientist-responds-to-deep-impact-1709206458

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #66 on: 11 June, 2015, 09:53:01 pm »

Well yes.  It's only credible when considered alongside Armageddon.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #67 on: 12 June, 2015, 11:56:25 am »

Well yes.  It's only credible when considered alongside Armageddon.

And all of these are better than Meteor

« Reply #68 on: 14 June, 2015, 12:33:22 pm »
One of the problems with long-running soaps is keeping the story straight -
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/kevin-webster-forgets-babys-death-5876231#rlabs=1.
Character forgets the death of his own child & subsequent suicide of his wife.  :facepalm:
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #69 on: 18 June, 2015, 03:32:43 pm »
That was how Deja Vu tried avoiding falling past the plot hole event horizon:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0453467/faq#.2.1.4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Deja_Vu_Timeline.GIF
Someone put some serious effort into analysing that one.  Me, I just enjoyed the fillum.

If you enjoy mindbendingly confuddling timetravel DONE WELL, Los Cronocrímenes (Timecrimes) is really superb (and a little bit scary).

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #70 on: 18 June, 2015, 03:49:21 pm »
One of the problems with long-running soaps is keeping the story straight -
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/kevin-webster-forgets-babys-death-5876231#rlabs=1.
Character forgets the death of his own child & subsequent suicide of his wife.  :facepalm:
To be fair, he hadn't had the baby long when it died, and his wife was a drip.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #71 on: 23 June, 2015, 09:54:23 pm »
Interstellar. All of it.

So on BBC "news" tonight there was an article about how said film should be shown in schools because it has generated a new discovery in science.
Allegedly the design company who did the graphics for the singularity used "physics" in their computer model and therefore it is the first real image of what one actually looks like.

Oh RLY?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #72 on: 23 June, 2015, 10:01:11 pm »
I eagerly await a low-budget science fiction film where someone works out how to use quantum handwaving to make the guff that university PR departments write actually real.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #73 on: 23 June, 2015, 10:30:02 pm »
I initially read that as quantum handwriting and wondered what that was.. ;D
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #74 on: 23 June, 2015, 10:33:41 pm »
I initially read that as quantum handwriting and wondered what that was.. ;D

I've no idea, but I'm sure there's a film script or two in it...