Author Topic: Coming soon - the all new Windsor-Chester-Windsor  (Read 93775 times)

billyam998

• LEL rider C6 2013 / B11 2017 / B4 2022
Re: Coming soon - the all new Windsor-Chester-Windsor
« Reply #750 on: 06 June, 2015, 05:58:47 pm »
In this case it was, I am usually very confident riding through fords and, have previously not had any issues however, the 2nd one on the way out- 1st on the way back (obv) was, putting it mildly lethal. I saw the funny side afterwards but it could have been so much worse. I'm glad no one else was hurt too much either.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #751 on: 06 June, 2015, 08:05:48 pm »
Yeah, going round the second one would definitely have been the sensible option. I would have taken it too, had I realised it was an option.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #752 on: 13 June, 2015, 08:20:10 pm »

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #753 on: 13 June, 2015, 08:23:11 pm »
My video offering

I can't watch it because it's 'blocked in my country'.
I live in the UK.

« Reply #754 on: 13 June, 2015, 08:37:53 pm »
Same here :(
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #755 on: 13 June, 2015, 10:13:03 pm »
Same here  - ( a class event this year  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Pedal Castro

« Reply #756 on: 13 June, 2015, 10:23:41 pm »
Now working while the youtube copyright appeal is in process. In the meantime I'll upload it to my own webspace.

« Reply #757 on: 13 June, 2015, 11:10:57 pm »
-cough- Modesty forbids me commenting on the exceptionally attractive behatted gentleman at the Hartlebury control.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #758 on: 14 June, 2015, 06:20:59 am »
-cough- Modesty forbids me commenting on the exceptionally attractive behatted gentleman at the Hartlebury control.
If you look in your settings there is a tab to remove the 'rose tinted' filter!!
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

« Reply #759 on: 14 June, 2015, 07:56:35 am »
09:51 - if you'd read the routesheet, or used the tcx file, you'd have known there was a bridge to the left that avoided the risk of being mauled by spaniels.

« Reply #760 on: 14 June, 2015, 08:37:12 am »
Good video, thanks for posting. It's nice to see the parts of the route I didn't get to!

« Reply #761 on: 14 June, 2015, 11:20:09 am »
Nice video - what tech do you use for this?  Ta

Pedal Castro

« Reply #762 on: 14 June, 2015, 11:51:30 am »
The camera was a Garmin Virb, then initial edits and adding gpx info via the garmin virb edit software, and Corel Videostudio Plus for adding soundtrack and final edits.

« Reply #763 on: 14 June, 2015, 10:08:02 pm »
The camera was a Garmin Virb, then initial edits and adding gpx info via the garmin virb edit software, and Corel Videostudio Plus for adding soundtrack and final edits.
Thanks for that, really enjoyed the video.

Chris F.cc

• Rapha tart
« Reply #764 on: 15 June, 2015, 09:58:57 am »
BTW there was an (overgrown, easy to miss) footbridge to the left of that ford.
You didn't need to risk 'death by cocker spaniel'!
Glad you survived to post this great video, thanks.

« Reply #765 on: 15 June, 2015, 01:06:23 pm »
Thanks for that, really enjoyed the video.

+1 :)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #766 on: 15 June, 2015, 04:00:27 pm »
I've always felt a bit of a wimp when taking the dry route round fords - this thread has reassured me that its probably the sensible option. :)

I should have thought that our experience just north of Eskdalemuir on the 09 LEL would have been enough to convince you of that.  Except that on that occasion there wasn't a dry route!  The wasn't even a road.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #767 on: 13 July, 2015, 07:26:19 pm »
I wondered how people had managed to fall at the fords when I first read the reports upthread, then I went and did it myself.  At the weekend I used the Watlington-Market Drayton part of the WCW route to ride from Pangbourne to Stoke-on-Trent and back.  Outward I noticed my front wheel slip slightly on the ford closest to Hanbury (the second on the way up).  Coming back I unclipped and tried to cross slowly.  I fell straight over on my left side as if on ice, bruising my elbow and knee, and leaving a large patch of green sort of algae gunk on my Carradice Barley.  Maybe the secret is not to take it slowly and deliberately.  I dismounted at the ford closer to Feckenham (that's what I thought too) and walked through, still slipping a little.  Interestingly my shoes had been soaked through already on the way up at impromptu pedal-deep ford between Bletchingdon and Wooton, apparently caused by a burst water main.
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

« Reply #768 on: 14 July, 2015, 08:15:00 am »
I don't get this.  If you encounter a ford on a long ride, where you risk wasting all the miles you've already completed or giving yourself a long way to ride with a damaged bike, why would you go for it?   It there is additional pressure to complete the ride, whether it be for an SR, an RRTY or a PBP qualifier, even more so would I use caution and discretion.  Perhaps that's too cautious for some to be Audax.

« Reply #769 on: 14 July, 2015, 01:49:22 pm »
Well said Delph,  very wise words.
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Lars

• n.b. have shaved off beard since photo taken
« Reply #770 on: 14 July, 2015, 01:56:06 pm »
I don't get this.  If you encounter a ford on a long ride, where you risk wasting all the miles you've already completed or giving yourself a long way to ride with a damaged bike, why would you go for it?   It there is additional pressure to complete the ride, whether it be for an SR, an RRTY or a PBP qualifier, even more so would I use caution and discretion.  Perhaps that's too cautious for some to be Audax.

Agree. After falling in a very short harmless-looking ford in 2010, and breaking a bone in the hand, I'm still rather
nervous and very cautious when approaching a ford. Never, never, never, never again will I attempt to roll through a
water-filled ford.  :hand:

« Reply #771 on: 14 July, 2015, 09:14:39 pm »
It's fun though. I remember the organiser positioning a photographer at the ford on one event (the Flitchbikes?)

« Reply #772 on: 14 July, 2015, 09:27:07 pm »
I'd almost forgotten about WCW now that I'm engrossed in LEL again.

Though I may pass WCW onto someone else, as I've started planning a possible new 1300 for some future year. You know, out 'n' back, averagely difficult, lots of TLC. We'll see...

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #773 on: 14 July, 2015, 10:02:16 pm »

Problem with the second ford where most people went down was that the footpath was extremely concealed by plants - I just did not realise there was a way around. Only saw the footpath on the way back, and opted for it rather than another swim.

Re-rode a tiny bit of the WCW route this Sunday close to Oxford, and it brought back many great memories. The ride was really ace.
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #774 on: 15 July, 2015, 01:04:29 pm »
I may pass WCW onto someone else, as I've started planning a possible new 1300 for some future year. You know, out 'n' back, averagely difficult, lots of TLC
Wowzer. Hold on tight, this is going to be exciting.
Any idea which year - I guess as you feel you need to pass on to someone else your creation of the WCW, which is only run in PBP years, then does that mean your new 1,300 will also be in a PBP year? Or - I'm thinking it won't be in an LEL year.  So not 2017 (LEL) and perhaps 2019 (PBP), not enough time for 2016 leaving 2018. And I'm guessing (wildly, obvs) it won't be around the time of Blacksheep's Scottish thing.
I'd be happy to volunteer at a control - assuming i wasn't away on my bike to forrin parts.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.