Author Topic: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen  (Read 643975 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen
« Reply #1650 on: 04 June, 2013, 09:58:35 pm »
There's not infrequently a yellow 'bent parked up at school.  I scalped the rider (who appeared to be wearing a skirt and flip flops!) as I went along Fulford road on my way to the work but when I stopped to do phone-related stuff a few minutes later she passed me again so, since I had the phone in my hand, I got a snap.

I also saw a chap on a orange Yuba Mundo with an extremely rattly plastic box on the front and the rack padded for use as a seat.  I suspect it is a pedal powered school bus.  No pic of that one.
Then on the way back at the end of the day

Hand cranked trike.
Your photos make York look like Poland!!!  :o Apart from the bent and the trike, that is. I think it's the chestnuts, the birches and the brick paving with a line on it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1651 on: 04 June, 2013, 10:11:22 pm »
{size=1pt}Yep, it's a rare 'F' frame Moulton speed six.{/size}  :D

An outrageously wild guess....a very early ICE  'bent trike?

Did you not see what the small text said when you replied?  :demon:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1652 on: 04 June, 2013, 10:15:57 pm »
There's not infrequently a yellow 'bent parked up at school.  I scalped the rider (who appeared to be wearing a skirt and flip flops!)

:o  When Charlotte first introduced me to the dark side, that was exactly the sort of thing she warned me never to do.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #1653 on: 06 June, 2013, 01:15:43 pm »
A Nihola Family on Micklegate in York, yesterday afternoon.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1654 on: 06 June, 2013, 01:19:34 pm »
The last couple of times I have taken TLD to her swimming lessons there has been a bakfiets parked outside the swimming pool.

Not too odd in Cambridge or other parts of the flatlands, but this is in Northallerton!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #1655 on: 06 June, 2013, 02:13:36 pm »
The last couple of times I have taken TLD to her swimming lessons there has been a bakfiets parked outside the swimming pool.

Not too odd in Cambridge or other parts of the flatlands, but this is in Northallerton!

Is this a sign that North Yorkshire might be achieving civilsation? ;D

I may have to return!!!!!!!

« Reply #1656 on: 06 June, 2013, 02:49:53 pm »
If that is your idea of civilisation then I guess York was civilised a long time ago.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1657 on: 06 June, 2013, 08:11:35 pm »
Saw someone on a Surly Krampus as I was coming across York racecourse about half an hour ago - slightly unusual, even by York standards, and doubly-so since Krampus completes seem to be about as readily available as wooden horse excrement at the moment (even Surly have admitted they'd underestimated how popular they'd be)

Looks like I'm not the only one who worships at the Temple of Phat hereabouts :)  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1658 on: 08 June, 2013, 10:41:23 pm »
There's not infrequently a yellow 'bent parked up at school.  I scalped the rider (who appeared to be wearing a skirt and flip flops!)

:o  When Charlotte first introduced me to the dark side, that was exactly the sort of thing she warned me never to do.
What - wear a skirt & flip-flops?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1659 on: 13 June, 2013, 09:34:14 am »
Spotted online - something rather unusual.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1660 on: 13 June, 2013, 10:12:43 am »

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #1661 on: 13 June, 2013, 09:11:20 pm »
Busy day:
  • An Azor Priest at Glasgow Central station this morning;
  • A recumbent tandem, looking very much like this M5:  - being pushed along Buchanan St  at lunchtime;
  • A pair of fully-panniered Roberts's outside Cotswold on Rose St (back in Edinburgh) around 2pm

I think I need a little lie down ;)

« Reply #1662 on: 20 June, 2013, 05:10:27 pm »
A little round up from my recent trip to Italy.

Lovely patina on this old beauty. There were so many bikes using these lugs.

Insanely complicated rear brake set up on this rod-braked bike!

Very cute (and stylish) juxtaposition, and if you look carefully you can see grandson and grandad enjoying an ice cream together.

Very fancy fixed wheel bike in a store window. Machined copper-coloured or copper-plated hubs, pedals and other details. A very unusual bike

Finally one for Wobbly John!

« Reply #1663 on: 20 June, 2013, 06:45:28 pm »
A little round up from my recent trip to Italy.

Finally one for Wobbly John!

Ah, a Velocino.  :D

We did an XnTRICK version with a Raleigh RSW  :smug:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1664 on: 20 June, 2013, 11:51:33 pm »
That last lot make me wonder if Italy is a real country, or a place which has modelled itself on a Hollywood image? !!!

« Reply #1665 on: 21 June, 2013, 01:27:48 am »
I think Italy had style long before Hollywood would did had.  ;)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1666 on: 21 June, 2013, 09:22:11 am »
On the commute yesterday morning (via Stratford into the City) I kept encountering a cyclist on a rather interesting machine.  it appeared to be titanium, but couldn't make out the brand as it had no labels.  It had disc brakes front and rear (cf forks).  So far, uncommon, but not that unusual.  Except he was running a belt-driven Alfine hub.  Definitely not your average commuting machine.  And he was fast!  Even at 35kph I couldn't quite catch him.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #1667 on: 21 June, 2013, 09:56:59 am »
That last lot make me wonder if Italy is a real country, or a place which has modelled itself on a Hollywood image? !!!

Florence had style in sack-loads. Pisa was surprisingly pleasant, although when you go to see the tower, you realise that every sodding building in the place is on the squint, it's hilarious. Talk about dodgy build quality!
Padova was quirky and full of students, bikes everywhere, mostly worn through to bare metal from being chained to poles, benches and leant up against walls, but still beautiful.
I'd recommend a trip to Padova and use it as a touring centre, the hostel there was cheap and good, but our B&B in Florence was unbelievable.

« Reply #1668 on: 21 June, 2013, 10:08:41 am »

The area that I know (Imola/Faenza/Ravenna) oozes style! I can endorse Wobbly John's and alexb's comments.

There are wonderful roads in the mountains, heading south into Tuscany... I must take my bike next time.

« Reply #1669 on: 21 June, 2013, 10:32:57 am »
Yesterday, near Tooting Bec Common, a chap on an orange TNT delivery bike, with two full panniers.  He was looking mildly confused, so I suspect wasn't sure where he was going, but I was late for work, so didn't have the time to stop and check up on him.

Later on, near Sloane Square, I saw a second TNT bike locked up and sans rider this time.

The bike is a chunky looking step through design, in fairly obvious orange, you can easily find images on Google.  I'm not surprised if they're using them around central London, but Tooting Bec isn't the place I expected to find them.

Two in one day, after never seeing them before. ???
Actually, it is rocket science.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1670 on: 21 June, 2013, 10:35:04 am »
I've seen quite a few (or one several times) round Borough et environs
Getting there...

« Reply #1671 on: 21 June, 2013, 10:52:41 am »
On the commute yesterday morning (via Stratford into the City) I kept encountering a cyclist on a rather interesting machine.  it appeared to be titanium, but couldn't make out the brand as it had no labels.  It had disc brakes front and rear (cf forks).  So far, uncommon, but not that unusual.  Except he was running a belt-driven Alfine hub.  Definitely not your average commuting machine.  And he was fast!  Even at 35kph I couldn't quite catch him.
At the show at Excel there was one like that on the velorution stand. It was a Van Nicholas :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1672 on: 27 June, 2013, 09:46:02 pm »

Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1673 on: 27 June, 2013, 09:50:36 pm »
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1674 on: 27 June, 2013, 09:55:54 pm »
Near Elephant & Castle, a very understated but well-equipped Thorn.
Getting there...