Author Topic: What is it with Norfolk?  (Read 5474 times)

spen666

Re: What is it with Norfolk?
« Reply #25 on: 19 January, 2010, 11:43:02 am »
Interesting that plenty on this site want police to go and have a word with motorists when there is not sufficient evidence of a crime, but seemingly object to police having words with cyclists.

Seems to be a double standard. We all do it, we justify our actions but see no justification for actions of others.
There isn't just a lack of evidence in this case, there's a lack of any hint of a crime.  There is no such offense as "riding without hi-vis" so as long as the kids are sober and obeying other road rules, it's none of the police's business.

Agreed, that is why police are not banning anyone, but merely providing advice

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #26 on: 19 January, 2010, 12:35:49 pm »
But most kids see the police as a serious authority figure. If they are "told" by the police that they should be wearing high vis, they will become unwilling to go out on their bikes without it, for fear of being targetted again.

if they don't have access to high vis, then the result will be lots of kids stopping cycling.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #27 on: 19 January, 2010, 12:46:15 pm »
These aren't rules, the're more like ... advice

Zoidburg

« Reply #28 on: 19 January, 2010, 05:19:42 pm »
They will still be scaring the shit out of kids and giving them the impression that they are commiting an offence - which may not be the case.

And without parental supervision. I wouldn't want a kid of mine being given the Stasi treatment in my absence.

but you would be happy for your kids to ride their bike without you?

Indeed I would, but preferably without being harrassed.

What is harassment?

Advising children regarding "safety"?

Interesting that plenty on this site want police to go and have a word with motorists when there is not sufficient evidence of a crime, but seemingly object to police having words with cyclists.

Seems to be a double standard. We all do it, we justify our actions but see no justification for actions of others.
Ah but here is the rub you see.

Some coppers are berks who do not know their legislation very well, "advice" will probably come across as "do this or we will nick you".

« Reply #29 on: 19 January, 2010, 06:56:11 pm »
Had it been "advice" then fine, but these chidren are being told by a Police "Officer" to get off and walk the rest of their journey.

Is it not an offence to disobey these instructions?

That is what is wrong.... illegal use of powers to restrict the child's movements.

No double standards whatsoever, I would also be upset about a motorist being told to walk because the Police did not like the colour of their car!

« Reply #30 on: 19 January, 2010, 09:55:40 pm »
Not in the daylight, I don't think?
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

spen666

« Reply #31 on: 19 January, 2010, 10:54:42 pm »
Had it been "advice" then fine, but these chidren are being told by a Police "Officer" to get off and walk the rest of their journey.

That is what is wrong.... illegal use of powers to restrict the child's movements.

No double standards whatsoever, I would also be upset about a motorist being told to walk because the Police did not like the colour of their car!

Where do you get your first sentence from- that article says police will advise, it doesn't say they will tell children they csan't cycle

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #32 on: 19 January, 2010, 11:29:57 pm »

Where do you get your first sentence from- that article says police will advise, it doesn't say they will tell children they csan't cycle
If you're 12 and a police officer tells you to do something, how likely are you to treat it as laissez faire advice?

« Reply #33 on: 20 January, 2010, 12:34:54 am »

First two paragraphs
Young cyclists will be ordered off the roads unless they wear reflective clothing as part of a new police crackdown.

They have been told to brighten up on the roads or walk on the pavements after families in Hellesdon told police they were fed up with unsafe child cyclists.

Further down is
Any youngsters seen cycling without reflective items on their bike or reflective clothing will be stopped and advised to walk the rest of the way.

I see nothing in the wording which is a direct quote from the police regarding the actual action.  The journalist implies in one sentence that it's advice, but in another sentence says that they are being told to "walk on the pavements"; and as Mr Bunbury says not many 12 year olds will tell the police the actual law and ignore them.

« Reply #34 on: 20 January, 2010, 01:45:10 pm »
They have been told to brighten up on the roads or walk on the pavements after families in Hellesdon told police they were fed up with unsafe child cyclists.

If I complain to the police that I'm "fed up" with motorists taking unsafe vehicles onto the road (specifically all those wthat get a EuroNCAP rating of 1 for pedestrian safety - chelsea tractors, BMWs, Audis and their ilk) - will the drivers be told to abandon their vehicles and walk whilst in Norfolk... ? I'm following the same logic, after all, and my proposal, would, I suspect have a much greater bearing on improving road saftey. I don't see how the police could possibly reject it.  ;)

If so, I think that this enlightened proactive behaviour by the Norfolk constabulary may have a useful side effect.

« Reply #35 on: 20 January, 2010, 01:54:56 pm »
In York, people complained.

The police stationed officers on all major approach roads into york and pulled any cars they thought looked likely to be substandard.

They have also had similar blitzes on speeding and drink driving.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #36 on: 20 January, 2010, 01:57:31 pm »
If you suggested that to the Met, I'd advise calling an ambulance from the laughing-related injuries.
Getting there...

gibbyent

« Reply #37 on: 21 January, 2010, 12:56:43 pm »
As I grew up in Hellesdon and went to the school, I emailed the police team.  It is a safety initiative by the school to improve cycling (including making sure you are visible) the police team were obviously happy to support this.
The evening news is not renowned for it's acuracy, my Dad who was a headmaster refused to have anything to do with them as it upset the children involved when the stories were wrong.
They are not stopping children or ordering them off their bikes if they are not wearing Hi VIS it is just poor reporting on the part of a local rag.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #38 on: 21 January, 2010, 12:59:08 pm »
As I grew up in Hellesdon and went to the school, I emailed the police team.  It is a safety initiative by the school to improve cycling (including making sure you are visible) the police team were obviously happy to support this.
The evening news is not renowned for it's acuracy, my Dad who was a headmaster refused to have anything to do with them as it upset the children involved when the stories were wrong.
They are not stopping children or ordering them off their bikes if they are not wearing Hi VIS it is just poor reporting on the part of a local rag.

I understand the Neighbourhood Policing Team has changed its tune after it got a kicking from several cycling groups...  ;)
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #39 on: 21 January, 2010, 09:56:32 pm »
East Anglia (or rather the east of England) must have some of the highest cycling rates outside London (after all, places like Cambridge and Norwich are hotspots).

And then some tosspot comes up with an idea like this...   >:( >:( >:(

Young cyclists will be ordered off the roads unless they wear reflective clothing as part of a new police crackdown.
And in another new policy, all cars found on the streets without approved hi-viz panels will be clamped.

A man can dream . . .
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #40 on: 21 January, 2010, 10:56:02 pm »
You people in the UK are indeed Grate in many waze. You love the SHINY, innit? I guess that's wear you get you're name from - Grate Blingland.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #41 on: 22 January, 2010, 11:53:03 pm »

I understand the Neighbourhood Policing Team has changed its tune after it got a kicking from several cycling groups...  ;)

Indeed. See this link.  Telling quotation:
The original press release from the force, while saying that police backed the initiative, omitted to mention that it would be staff from the school stopping the children, rather than police officers.

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #42 on: 23 January, 2010, 06:29:46 pm »

As anyone who is familiar with MAenwith Hill and other demonstrations, there is frequent use of the "offence" of "failing to obey an instruction given by a police officer"

If a Police Officer (or Police Constable Shaped Object) tells someone to walk their bike than how does a twelve year old determine whether this is an instruction they should obey or ignore, come to hat if you are told to get off and walk - would you obey or ignore?