Author Topic: Changing from P to M bars  (Read 1604 times)

Changing from P to M bars
« on: 16 October, 2013, 11:32:04 am »
Fancy a change from P to M bars as don't really use the lower position on the P bars. 

Any harm in just changing the bars themselves to see if I like it, or should I change gear & brake cables also?  Don't fancy the S bars as my liggage (T & C bags) won't fit well.  Alternatively, any other riser bars recommended?

TIA... Paul

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Changing from P to M bars
« Reply #1 on: 07 November, 2013, 11:04:35 am »
The P and M bars use different stems. You could use the M bar on the P stem, but the bars might not be in a comfortable position as a result. And it might affect the fold.

Your best bet would be to change the stem as well - a new M bar stem costs £112.50.

And yes, you would need to change the cables as well (though if you fit M bars on a P stem, they won't be in the "correct" position, so the standard length cables for an M bar won't be the correct length for that set-up).
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Re: Changing from P to M bars
« Reply #2 on: 07 November, 2013, 07:29:52 pm »
I've seen posts with pics of people using a P stem and M handlebar in order to increase cockpit size. The end of the handlebar might be very close to the floor when folded... it might require a rack to keep it off the ground, not sure.