Author Topic: [LEL17] Thought for the Day.  (Read 3375 times)

[LEL17] Thought for the Day.
« on: 27 August, 2017, 11:46:51 am »
VC 167 is a broad church, and we have our own vicar. I asked Graeme about the redemptive power of pain, and the concept of cycling as prayer, prior to LEL.

In 2001 I made a short film, which relied on the music I was listening to. This song sums up hundreds of miles of headwind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08t_uHnm_nc

Re: Thought for the Day.
« Reply #1 on: 27 August, 2017, 01:16:26 pm »
I do like bit of Theology on a ride, it rhymes with Geology.

Graeme's allusion to Horace's 'Pulvis et umbra sumus', echoes both Job,

Job 8:9 For we are only of yesterday and know nothing, Because our days on earth are as a shadow.;

and Ecclesiastes,

Ecclesiastes 3:20 All go to one place. All are from the dust, and to dust all return.

That reminded me of a discussion on PBP 2015.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #2 on: 27 August, 2017, 01:26:09 pm »
There's also some of Psalm 103 in there:

Our days are but as grass;
        we flourish as a flower of the field;

For as soon as the wind goes over it, it is gone,
        and its place shall know it no more.

I'm not aware of any policy on smoking grass to get through an Audax, certainly there's no mandatory testing.  Unless you know different.  Wind is compulsory of course.
Milk please, no sugar.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 27 August, 2017, 03:41:10 pm »
This is all getting a bit too funereal for me!
und alles Fleisch, es is wie Gras...

« Reply #4 on: 27 August, 2017, 04:10:13 pm »
By Edinburgh, many hoped that they could find redemption.

« Reply #5 on: 28 August, 2017, 07:56:30 am »
By Edinburgh, many hoped that they could find redemption.

When we, the mechanics team at Barnard Castle, finished repairing a bicycle, we usually read the name on the frame plate, and someone called his name in the dining room. One of these bicycles belonged to a spanish rider named Jesus. No one dared to go in to the dining room and ask loudly: "Is Jesus here?"

« Reply #6 on: 28 August, 2017, 02:33:42 pm »
If so, look busy!

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #7 on: 28 August, 2017, 06:03:43 pm »
This is all getting a bit too funereal for me!
und alles Fleisch, es is wie Gras...

I doubt I'd have been so cheerful if asked the same questions at Spalding or Great Easton.

« Reply #8 on: 28 August, 2017, 10:22:34 pm »
I never made it to Spalding or Great Easton. Dave went there, as I had to cover the last of the 100 hour finishers, shoot back to St Ives, cover Cambridge, and then back to Loughton, via Hertford due to M11 roadworks, and film the 116 hour finishers. I'm sure I interviewed a grumpy Graeme somewhere, and then on Saturday morning at the Premier Inn Waltham Cross, with added local youths.

Graeme wasn't the only accredited God-botherer on the ride. Wimpie van der Merwe has a theology degree I  believe.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #9 on: 29 August, 2017, 07:42:50 am »
Wimpie, according to my grate frend Mr Woolrich, who met him in USAnia during Wimpie's HPV-racing days, is/was a pastor in some fairly obscure offshoot of whatever the main church in the Afrikaner community is.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #10 on: 29 August, 2017, 08:49:53 am »
The various Afrikaans churches in South Africa are prone to splitting. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Reformed_Church_in_South_Africa_(NGK)

I suppose you could look at Audax in religious terms. AUK is the catholic end of the spectrum, owing allegiance to Paris, rather than Rome. The various 'sportive' events are evangelical offshoots, with the likes of  Rapha trying to straddle a number of faiths.

LEL then becomes 'an ecumenical matter'. A very strenuous retreat, uniting the various strands of the true faith.

« Reply #11 on: 29 August, 2017, 10:08:32 am »
The various Afrikaans churches in South Africa are prone to splitting. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Reformed_Church_in_South_Africa_(NGK)

I suppose you could look at Audax in religious terms. AUK is the catholic end of the spectrum, owing allegiance to Paris, rather than Rome. The various 'sportive' events are evangelical offshoots, with the likes of  Rapha trying to straddle a number of faiths.

LEL then becomes 'an ecumenical matter'. A very strenuous retreat, uniting the various strands of the true faith.

The Afrikaans churches were famously heretical, and expelled from various international bodies for blasphemously providing spiritual justification for apartheid. Your comparison of religion and Audax therefore suggests that there could be some heretical variants, which have possibly been expelled (or ignored) by the mainstream faithful. Who would those groups be?

« Reply #12 on: 29 August, 2017, 11:57:09 am »
Randonee is in itself a heresy. True Audax is performed in groups, led by an accredited officiant, at a constant 22kph.
LEL is 'Allure Libre', so more of a personal faith. Both the the Swiss and the Indian Randonee organisations have had their accreditation withdrawn for irregularities in the past.

There are other organisations which use the 'Brevet' model, without being part of the formal ACP structure. The Transcontinental would be an example.