Author Topic: Blackfriars Bridge  (Read 20123 times)

Re: Blackfriars Bridge
« Reply #25 on: 17 June, 2011, 03:04:42 pm »
I have been following this on the Cyclists in the City blog,  and it has just been making my blood boil.   I had no idea that tfl where quite so blinkered towards cars.

despair.
Just someone's butler

« Reply #26 on: 17 June, 2011, 03:22:31 pm »
"Kulveer Ranger, from the mayor of London's office said the safety of cyclists was the mayor's absolute priority but a 20mph speed limit would not be of benefit when traffic is lower during the remainder of the day."

I have it on good authority that KR really doesn't know his a*** from his elbow when it comes to traffic.
Rust never sleeps

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #27 on: 17 June, 2011, 03:51:13 pm »
"Kulveer Ranger, from the mayor of London's office said the safety of cyclists was the mayor's absolute priority but a 20mph speed limit would not be of benefit when traffic is lower during the remainder of the day."

I have it on good authority that KR really doesn't know his a*** from his elbow when it comes to traffic.

+ 1. I wouldn't mind writing an article about it and sending it to LCC. There is a whole pile of evidence to demonstrate this.

« Reply #28 on: 13 July, 2011, 04:14:18 pm »
Boris: 20 mph speed limit on Blackfriars Bridge "isn’t necessary" [13 July 2011]

"Mayor of London Boris Johnson has ruled out making the current temporary 20 mph speed limit on Blackfriars Bridge a permanent measure despite a vigorous campaign by cyclists."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #29 on: 13 July, 2011, 04:17:01 pm »
Twat
Getting there...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #30 on: 13 July, 2011, 05:10:07 pm »
What is really behind this?  It's got to be more than just stupidity, hasn't it?
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #31 on: 13 July, 2011, 05:13:26 pm »
Never underestimate Boris Johnson's utter stupidity.
Getting there...

« Reply #32 on: 13 July, 2011, 06:04:47 pm »
I used to have a simple line for explaining why people make apparently irrational decisions.

"It's because I don't have all the facts."  In other words, the person making the decision knows something I don't.

After many years on the planet I've had to come up with two other possibilities, which tend to be the more likely.

"They're acting emotionally."

"They really are daft."
Rust never sleeps

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #33 on: 13 July, 2011, 07:58:16 pm »
Is Johnson being lobbied by, and giving in to, motoring groups wanting to maintain 30mph limits?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #34 on: 13 July, 2011, 08:15:52 pm »
Surely not!  Boris is a man of the people, and a bicycling buffoon.  Surely his integrity cannot be compromised? :o
Getting there...

« Reply #35 on: 14 July, 2011, 11:24:55 am »
I watched Jenny Jones debate this with Boris and I can't understand how she didn't jump up, leap across the chamber and start to throttle him. He is such a wanker!

If the traffic can only do 12mph now, why the argument that it should be allowed to do 30mph?

Does it really matter that traffic runs across the bridge at 20mph when the traffic conditions are light enough that it could travel at 30mph?

Blackfriars Bridge is 303 metres long. 20mph is 9 metres per second. 30mph is 13 metres per second.
It takes approximately 33 seconds to cross at 20mph and 23 seconds to cross at 30mph.
The difference between the two speeds amounts to almost exactly 10 seconds.

That's what the delay would be if you reduced the speed limit from 30mph to 20mph.

10 fucking seconds.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #36 on: 14 July, 2011, 12:54:43 pm »
It is because it must be obvious even to Johnson himself that what he's saying is contradictory that I reckon there's something behind it that we don't know.

He may not be the brightest Boris on the block, but neither is he thaaat stupid.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #37 on: 14 July, 2011, 04:03:21 pm »
I think we should have a cycling breakfast along Blackfriars Bridge one morning and block it for half an hour  :demon:.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #38 on: 20 July, 2011, 12:37:31 pm »
Here is an update:

http://thebikeshow.net/amendment-to-motion-on-blackfriars-bridge/

Here's hoping that TfL and BoJo wake up.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #39 on: 22 July, 2011, 04:28:29 pm »
Here's a report on the successful vote for a continued review.
Getting there...

« Reply #40 on: 28 July, 2011, 12:28:43 am »
TfL is going ahead with its original plan this weekend, completely ignores cyclists  >:( >:( >:( >:(

Two protest rides planned, this Friday join critical mass, and Monday morning like the last Blackfriars flashride meet on the south side of Blackfriars Bridge outside the Doggett's Pub at 8.15AM for a go slow ride across the Bridge.

cyclelondoncity.blogspot.com/2011/07/if-you-care-about-blackfriars-go-to

TfL is going ahead with its original plans for Blackfriars Bridge. Next week...  that means no bike lanes, no safe way to get through the junction, none of the hard-fought but pathetically tiny improvements that TfL had promised.

That's despite the entire London Assembly voting to improve conditions for cycling here. That's despite the Mayor stating that he recognises the need to make cycling safer here.

This Friday is Critical Mass, a cycle ride that starts at 6pm from underneath the south side of Waterloo Bridge by the river. For a whole host of reasons, Critical Mass is not normally for me. But this Friday, I'll be there. And I for one hope that Critical Mass decides Blackfriars is a suitable destination, in both directions, all evening long. Because as I've been saying for months, this isn't just about Blackfriars. It's about making our transport authority take cycling seriously.

I hope to see you there.

ibikelondon.blogspot.com/2011/07/last-stand-in-battle-for-blackfriars

Transport for London - the undemocratic, unelected, unaccountable kings of spin and of moving the goal posts - are going ahead with their plans all the same.  The speed limit will be increased from 20mph to 30mph, cycle lanes will be squeezed and shoved to one side, carriageways for cars will increase from two lanes to three.  In all effect, they are hell-bent on creating a 1960s-style urban motorway, completely to the detriment of all other road users...

Tell your friends, bring your families and let's all ride together.

Friday night action:

Critical Mass is a mass cycle ride suitable for all the family on the last Friday of every month.  Meet outside the British Film Institute beneath Waterloo Bridge on the Southbank at 6PM prompt for a departure to Blackfriars Bridge.

Monday morning action:

Let's do it all again to show how important this issue is.  Don't forget to smile for the press cameras!  Just like the last Blackfriars flashride meet on the south side of Blackfriars Bridge outside the Doggett's Pub at 8.15AM for a go slow ride across the Bridge.

A V Lowe

« Reply #41 on: 28 July, 2011, 02:16:34 am »
A substantial number of the cyclists heading out from Waterloo (well over 500 per hour at peak times) head off towards The City chatting to these guys as we've done informal counts - and based on the massive surge in cycle use that connected with the closure of the Tube line to Bank - retained after the line reopened for the rather obvious reason that cycling is faster and more reliable.  TfL's own figures indicate that 15% of cycle traffic (2 years ago) was delivered by that Waterloo source. 

Anyone tried making this crowd more aware of the debate?

(Exit 3 spot counts, give over 500 bikes/hour, 40% Brompton 20% other folders, 40% bikes from platforms and long distance trains, not counted - guys with shorts, helmets etc obviously going to grab a bike from racks outside, bikes out from exits 1 (Upper Road) and 2 (Waterloo Road))  Suspect that Paddington will deliver similar figure for cycle traffic at peak time - main route out via Praed Street ramp

Polling intensively on station may be a problem so alternative is to poll on York Road at bottom of ramp.

« Reply #42 on: 28 July, 2011, 08:29:46 am »
Style over speed - you need to revise those URLs, they've been mangled.
Open YACF in a fresh window and make sure you can click through on them.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #43 on: 28 July, 2011, 10:24:53 am »
Terrible arrogance overriding the democratic vote.
Getting there...

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #44 on: 28 July, 2011, 10:44:49 am »

TfL are being idiotic about this. ibikelondon'd blog piece was extremely well written: we need to rally! In fact I would go further and picket all four bridges simultaneously. They cannot underestimate us.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #45 on: 28 July, 2011, 11:01:56 am »

TfL are being idiotic about this. ibikelondon'd blog piece was extremely well written: we need to rally! In fact I would go further and picket all four bridges simultaneously. They cannot underestimate us.

Agreed. Point all your friends to any of the London bloggers. Turn out in force for CM tomorrow and a slow ride on Monday.

'TIS TIME TO ACT!

sas

• Penguin power
    • My Flickr Photos
« Reply #46 on: 28 July, 2011, 12:23:04 pm »
The slow ride is on Friday at 6pm, and should finish in time for CM at 7pm.
http://cyclelondoncity.blogspot.com/2011/07/bulldozers-move-in-on-saturday-this.html
I am nothing and should be everything

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #47 on: 28 July, 2011, 01:15:22 pm »
See y'all outside Doggett's at 6pm tomorrow (assuming I get out of work on time).

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #48 on: 28 July, 2011, 01:54:26 pm »
See y'all outside Doggett's at 6pm tomorrow (assuming I get out of work on time).

d.

See you at 6! Am not sure whether or not to do CM, but we need to showcase how strong our views are about this.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #49 on: 28 July, 2011, 01:56:38 pm »
:( Can't be there.  Protest on my behalf, people!
Getting there...