Author Topic: Blackfriars Bridge  (Read 20093 times)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Re: Blackfriars Bridge
« Reply #50 on: 28 July, 2011, 01:57:35 pm »
I'll try to be there, probably wearing a yacf jersey for ease of spotting.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #51 on: 28 July, 2011, 02:01:10 pm »
:( Can't be there.  Protest on my behalf, people!

Will do. I am also using my toil to attend Monday's session, although am starting to hear rumours that Monday's session is going to be called off  ???

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #52 on: 28 July, 2011, 02:34:02 pm »
:( Can't be there.  Protest on my behalf, people!

Will do. I am also using my toil to attend Monday's session, although am starting to hear rumours that Monday's session is going to be called off  ???

I've heard these rumours too. Apparently, they think the work will take three months not just a weekend.
Will keep my eyes peeled.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #53 on: 28 July, 2011, 08:24:52 pm »
Just hearing from Twitterland that Val Shawcross and other Assembly Members are seeking an urgent meeting with Boris. Also the Director of TfL is saying that the works that are beginning on Blackfriars Bridge are merely 'preparatory'. Don't care, will still be there at 6p.m. tomorrow.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #54 on: 29 July, 2011, 07:27:08 am »
I think I'll wear my blue YACF jersey, purely for ironic effect.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #55 on: 29 July, 2011, 08:51:45 am »
I Have been ill for a few days so only just caught up with all this. Decided to read what TfL were actually saying  here- http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/media/newscentre/20603.aspx
Well,  they really have got the propagandists out to write this one.  Do they really think people will be fooled into believing they are doing this to improve things for cyclists and pedestrians merely by mentioning those two words often enough in a press release?  And distorting and presenting statistics in such a way as to try and diminish the importance of cycle traffic . "Analysis by TfL shows that usage by cyclists through this junction is predominantly for travelling to and from work and is therefore concentrated during traditional 'rush hour' periods, particularly in the morning heading northbound and in the afternoon heading southbound."  Isn't that the case for most categories of traffic using the bridge? Apart from, possibly, commercial vehicles.  They seem to be implying that this means cyclists needs should be subordinate to others as a result.  And what about the substantial numbers of bikes who use it outside of rush hour?  I rarely use the bridge during a rush hour, but on my regular crossings, there are always several other bikes crossing at the same time in both directions. And anyway, shouldn't TfL be managing the road network in a way that will  increase that 6%.  Although it wasn't a perfect river crossing for cyclists, some attempts had been made (after cyclists had been killed, remember, ) to make it safer. Along with Southwark, it was one of my preferred crossings (as long as I wasn't trying to turn right at the north end, but that's another story).  Reversing some of those improvements is not the way to get more people riding bikes in London.
I am supposed to be leaving for my summer trip tomorrow, and due to being ill since Sunday afternoon, I have hardly done any packing or bike prep. So I was planning to stay in all day and do just that.  But I will be on Blackfriars Bridge tonight.    It feels as if we let this one go without a fight TfL will be able to say that its drive towards "improved traffic flow" (where traffic only means motor traffic) is what most people want. They need see that a lot of people know they are wrong.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #56 on: 29 July, 2011, 10:38:43 am »
I had to come to work without my bike today, so if I manage to come along later, I'll have to use a Boris Bike.

Oh the irony!  ;D

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #57 on: 29 July, 2011, 10:41:17 am »
The quoted '6%' is totally out of date; the figure is closer to 36% of all road traffic in the rush hour.
Using ancient statistics is justifying TfL's approach.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #58 on: 29 July, 2011, 11:16:13 am »
TfL also reckon that there will only be a protest number tonight of between 100-200 cyclists. Don't think so  :demon:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #59 on: 29 July, 2011, 11:40:37 am »
I have some time to kill* before catching a train tonight, so I can be there after all. :)

Shame I don't have the bike with the '20's Plenty' stickers on.

* dark pun intended
Getting there...

« Reply #60 on: 29 July, 2011, 11:46:51 am »
I have some time to kill* before catching a train tonight, so I can be there after all. :)

* dark pun intended

Are you going to be on a Boris Bike or your own?

« Reply #61 on: 29 July, 2011, 11:47:46 am »
The quoted '6%' is totally out of date; the figure is closer to 36% of all road traffic in the rush hour.
Using ancient statistics is justifying TfL's approach.

TfL apparently also model cyclists as being 1/5 of a car, whatever that means and however that works!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #62 on: 29 July, 2011, 11:51:48 am »

* dark pun intended

Are you going to be on a Boris Bike or your own?

My own.  Complete with pannier full of overnight stuff.
Getting there...

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #63 on: 29 July, 2011, 12:38:14 pm »

* dark pun intended

Glad you are coming along.

We need puns and slogan's for tonight!

How about TfL = Transport FAIL London

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #64 on: 29 July, 2011, 01:57:27 pm »
grrrrr

I am sans vélo today.  To add insult to injury, I can't find my BorisBike key.  :(

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #65 on: 29 July, 2011, 02:00:22 pm »
grrrrr

I am sans vélo today.  To add insult to injury, I can't find my BorisBike key.  :(

Do you have a crediit card?

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #66 on: 29 July, 2011, 02:03:33 pm »
Yes, that's how I was able to get a key in the first.  Can I just walk up and hire a bike on the same card I have listed against a proper key?

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #67 on: 29 July, 2011, 02:34:26 pm »
Unfortunately, I'll be on my way up to Manchester this evening - otherwise I could have got off a bit early and come down to join you.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #68 on: 29 July, 2011, 04:05:06 pm »
Yes, that's how I was able to get a key in the first.  Can I just walk up and hire a bike on the same card I have listed against a proper key?

Dunno. I expect so because you can hire up to 4 bikes on one CC as I understand it.

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #69 on: 29 July, 2011, 04:24:33 pm »

Dunno. I expect so because you can hire up to 4 bikes on one CC as I understand it.

Ta.  I'll stroll over to the closest hire station after work and give it a go.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #70 on: 29 July, 2011, 04:28:59 pm »
If not, then don't worry.  The proposed bridge works affect pedestrians adversely, too.  You could walk your protest! :D
Getting there...

« Reply #71 on: 29 July, 2011, 04:37:23 pm »
I think I'll go and have a look, not sure if I want to ride it.

The fact is people on bikes in London ride like dicks; disregarding all traffic regulations, when it suits them. For example, going from Wellington St crossing the Strand to Waterloo Bridge (Lancaster Pl), sometimes you can get over 10 riders go towards the red light (at Lancaster Pl), and I'd be surprised if more than 2 stop, even if people are still crossing the road.

I'd feel more comfortable if it was organised or lead by the CTC or similar organistion.

« Reply #72 on: 29 July, 2011, 04:51:25 pm »

The fact is
SOME
people on bikes in London ride like dicks; disregarding all traffic regulations, when it suits them. For example, going from Wellington St crossing the Strand to Waterloo Bridge (Lancaster Pl), sometimes you can get over 10 riders go towards the red light (at Lancaster Pl), and I'd be surprised if more than 2 stop, even if people are still crossing the road.
That could be because, if you stop at the lights once you've crossed the Strand to the bridge, you are in danger of being mown down by vehicles leaving the lights in the Strand with their drivers unsighted and unable to see cyclists at the lights around the corner in Lancaster Place. And when you leave the lights, parked vehicles make the carriageway dangerously narrow  for about 100m. Bad design=bad behaviour.
I'd feel more comfortable if it was organised or lead by the CTC or similar organistion.
But it isn't, because the CTC reacts to issues with all the agility of a drugged sloth.
The journey is always more important than the destination

« Reply #73 on: 29 July, 2011, 04:54:13 pm »

The fact is people on bikes in London ride like dicks;

Really?  ::-)

Like this, do you mean?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #74 on: 29 July, 2011, 04:54:19 pm »
The fact is...

Not facts. Perception.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."