Author Topic: Blackfriars Bridge  (Read 20055 times)

Speshact

• Charlie
Blackfriars Bridge
« on: 28 March, 2011, 01:40:07 pm »
Cyclists are battling TfL planners. Check out this rather fab video on i b i k e l o n d o n: Why the Mayor and TfL are wrong about Blackfriars Bridge...

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
Re: Blackfriars Bridge
« Reply #1 on: 28 March, 2011, 02:05:30 pm »
I had a meeting at TfL last Wednesday so pootled over that bridge, well actually not pootled just gripped my handlebars at the sheer amount of traffic all fighting to get over that bridge at the same time.

I know that the proposed plans have been met with derision and utter disbelief by cyclists (removing the cycle lane is ridiculous), I can see why, but a dramatic rethink for that whole bridge is needed.

TfL to rethink Blackfriars Bridge cycle lane proposal | road.cc | The website for pedal powered people: Road cycling, commuting, leisure cycling and racing. Voted the UK's number 1 cycling website at the 2010 BikeBiz awards.

I know that Jenny Jones was tweeting a while back about how Southwark Bridge should be cycle only, with the possiblity of allowing pedestrians access too  ::-)

« Reply #2 on: 28 March, 2011, 02:07:59 pm »
Southwark Bridge always used to be the best route across the Thames by bike, I have to say all the bike lanes actually make it substantially WORSE for bike traffic, with the exception of the new longer phasing for the bike crossing at the north side, which is better.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 01 June, 2011, 03:02:34 pm »
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

ian

« Reply #4 on: 01 June, 2011, 09:51:52 pm »
I just assumed the junction at the northern end of Blackfriars Bridges was the natural corollary of leaving a monkey unsupervised with set of coloured crayons in the TfL office. I didn't realise they planned to make it better by blindfolding the monkey in advance of the next 're-design'.

I'm not even sure why there is a debate about 20 mph. All 30 mph would do is ensure traffic backs up onto the bridge from the inevitable low fibre diet of belligerent cabbies and confused van drivers that regularly constipate Ludgate Circus.

The southern end sucks as well: corralled pedestrians, the odd bike lane / segregated route for confused tourists, three lanes of bemused traffic, and a road surface imported from the far side of the Moon.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 09 June, 2011, 04:46:21 pm »
Tory walkout prevents discussion!

Good grief - what a bunch of flouncers!
Getting there...

« Reply #6 on: 09 June, 2011, 04:52:12 pm »
They seem to have several excuses for that flounce, none of which are relevent to the actual event as far as I can tell.  >:(
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #7 on: 09 June, 2011, 05:02:38 pm »
They seem to have several excuses for that flounce, none of which are relevent to the actual event as far as I can tell.  >:(

Really ??? What were the reasons for the flouncing then? Jane first punted this up on our own web-site and I thought their actions were disgusting quite frankly.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #8 on: 09 June, 2011, 05:18:31 pm »
I think it was some dispute with Labour and the Greens over how the Chair is allocated. I'm not completely sure.   I read it on someone's blog. If I can find the link I'll post it.
    I still stand by what I said on our website.  In some ways, you could say it's worse. If they choose to disrupt the democratic process, which is the only way their constituents can air their concerns, merely to make some organisational point relevant only to themselves, I have even more contempt for them than if they were walking out to disrupt the motion regarding Blackfriars Bridge. At least that would show they had some awareness of the issues, even if they hold an opposing viewpoint.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #9 on: 09 June, 2011, 05:28:26 pm »
It was a BBC report.    Here it is if you are interested.
BBC News - Blackfriars cyclist safety debate 'evaded by Tories'
And here's what I said, if you are interested.
Lewisham Cyclists | A part of the London Cycling Campaign

« Reply #10 on: 09 June, 2011, 05:44:53 pm »
It is disgraceful, childish behaviour.

But this caught my eye:

"Kulveer Ranger, from the mayor of London's office said the safety of cyclists was the mayor's absolute priority but a 20mph speed limit would not be of benefit when traffic is lower during the remainder of the day."

Eh? Did I read this right? Surely the benefit of a 20mph limit is GREATEST during the evening and nighttime, when traffic is light and you DO have a chance to drive over the bridge at the speed limit or above?

I must comment though - as smeone who drives in London, the 20mph limits on Twoer Bridge and now through the Rotherhithe Tunnel are enforced by average speed cameras at each end. Sticking to the limit is a pain, but the average speed cameras make it ruddy effective - I always, always drive at 20 or less - cos I know the cameras are there.

« Reply #11 on: 09 June, 2011, 05:46:45 pm »
BTW, did anyone see the comment fromt he cabbie about people only crossign at red lights and cyclists staying in the cycle lanes?
Is that what this country is heading for - a general belief that "jaywalking" exists in this country and is an offence? Why SHOULDN'T I cross the road anywhere? And see above - I drive a car too.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #13 on: 09 June, 2011, 07:02:55 pm »
Good blog, Jane.

Utterly childish and contemptuous for London road users.
Getting there...

spindrift

« Reply #14 on: 09 June, 2011, 07:14:00 pm »
God forbid there's a fatality on Blackfriars Bridge again, if so the childish tory scum will have blood on their hands.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #15 on: 09 June, 2011, 07:25:48 pm »
Thanks, Clarion. My blog  came from a double load of anger really. Anger that once again something so simple  to implement and so fundamental  to the quality of life for those who live in cities is just being passed over in favour of something so ridiculous as "improving traffic flow" which is just Newspeak for being scared to upset people who drive cars by restricting their perceived rights in case they don't vote for us. And also anger at the cynical manipulation of the democratic process which in my later, quieter years I had begun to accept. Makes me wonder if the mad punk I once was, wasn't quite so mad after all. I have to admit, that mad punk would have said blogs, if they had existed then, were just a sad middle class cop out.

« Reply #16 on: 09 June, 2011, 07:31:19 pm »
Makes me wonder if the mad punk I once was, wasn't quite so mad after all.

Most likely weren't then.
Definitely aren't now.
Mad, that is.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #17 on: 09 June, 2011, 07:37:28 pm »
God forbid there's a fatality on Blackfriars Bridge again, if so the childish tory scum will have blood on their hands.
Yes, how could they not discuss this issue when people have already been killed on this bridge due to the inadequacy of it's road planning. And when only a few days ago they were reminded of how important this issue is to a  substantial number of Londoners on the LCC flash ride. 

spindrift

« Reply #18 on: 09 June, 2011, 07:38:03 pm »
I have to admit, that mad punk would have said blogs, if they had existed then, were just a sad middle class cop out.

Not really, your blog was very good and restrained, this whole fandango is the mobilisation via the blogosphere against asinine decisions , the idiocy of Kulveer Ranger and the complete silence from Boris.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #19 on: 09 June, 2011, 07:46:55 pm »
I have to admit, that mad punk would have said blogs, if they had existed then, were just a sad middle class cop out.

Not really, your blog was very good and restrained, this whole fandango is the mobilisation via the blogosphere against asinine decisions , the idiocy of Kulveer Ranger and the complete silence from Boris.
That's the problem. Too restrained, too polite. We sit at our computers tapping out our frustrations on the keyboard and there is little energy left for direct meaningful action that has a chance of changing anything.

« Reply #20 on: 09 June, 2011, 09:30:19 pm »
It is disgraceful, childish behaviour.

But this caught my eye:

"Kulveer Ranger, from the mayor of London's office said the safety of cyclists was the mayor's absolute priority but a 20mph speed limit would not be of benefit when traffic is lower during the remainder of the day."

What bollox! So no one cycles or walks across the bridge outside rush hour? Must remember that next time I want to cross the river at 0830 on a Sunday.
The journey is always more important than the destination

« Reply #21 on: 09 June, 2011, 09:34:03 pm »

"Tories are like vermin. You think you've got rid of them, but they keep coming back" - Aneurin Bevan (can we have more like him please?)
The journey is always more important than the destination

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #22 on: 14 June, 2011, 02:53:15 pm »
LCC have just launched this:

London Cycling Campaign

I think this is a good idea - it definitely feels more human than a signed petition.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #23 on: 17 June, 2011, 08:48:40 am »
Getting there...

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #24 on: 17 June, 2011, 11:21:21 am »
Some hope, if slim:

Baker to raise issue with TfL

Good. I am hoping that they are bowing to pressure.