Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 512339 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Mrs. B and I are not vegetarian by any stretch of the imagination, however during dinner today (Sunday) we realised that this was the first time we had eaten meat or fish since last Sunday.
Gosh. It wasn't planed. We didn't notice it was happening.

I'm defrosting some beef mince for tomorrow's spaghetti Bolognese.   :D  :P
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
<adds Ruthie’s recipe to ‘must make’ list> :thumbsup:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

<adds Ruthie's recipe to the MUST NOT make list>  :-*

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Much as I like blue cheese, stinkier the better, and much as I like both brocolli and cauliflower, never the twain shall meet  :sick:
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

citoyen

I don't understand the thought process behind ruining a perfectly good cauliflower cheese with broccoli.

But then, to be honest, I don't get the thought process behind broccoli existing in any form.

Cauliflower and Roquefort sounds like a pretty good combination to me though.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Whereas I don't get why anyone would eat cauliflower cheese instead of brocolli
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
I suppose it mostly depends on your tolerance for sulphur compounds and the degree to which they're present in different veg.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Whereas I don't get why anyone would eat cauliflower cheese instead of brocolli

I’ll happily eat both.  :D
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

One of my cookbooks has a cauliflower, romanesco, and broccoli cheese recipe; IIRC it uses half blue cheese sauce and half cheddar/parmesan sauce. Sadly I don't get to make it that often, as my OH is a blue cheese refusenik.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
I make yoghurt at home, usually using just a bog standard pot of Yeo plain yoghurt.
This weekend the only plain yoghurt I could get hold of was Greek style yoghurt. This appears to have made a litre of much thicker than usual (& with less whey) Greek style yoghurt, which I don't really understand given how I only use about 50ml of starter to a litre of milk.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

citoyen

I suppose it mostly depends on your tolerance for sulphur compounds and the degree to which they're present in different veg.

But I like brassicas on the whole. With broccoli, I think it's more the texture than the flavour that I have a problem with. Flavour-wise, broccoli and Stilton is a winning combination in a soup.

Anyway, I told my wife about the cauliflower and Roquefort and it piqued her interest so I made it for dinner on Saturday, except I used St Agur rather than Roquefort because I'm a cheapskate. I added some thyme and nutmeg to the sauce, and topped it with a sprinkling of ground almonds for a gratin effect. Pretty good, although I reckon the St Agur is too mild - Stilton would probably work well.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Right, we've had ours. I made, as I did last year, except this year they come out thicker, scrambled-er and fewer in number (because thicker but also I think I made less batter this year). I beat it by hand this year, I think last year I used the electric mixer. Anyway, they were tasty. But did anyone combine occasions by making a Cornish pasty inside theirs?  ::-)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

But did anyone combine occasions by making a Cornish pasty inside theirs?  ::-)
Despite MrsC being Cornish and making a damn fine pasty, no.  :P
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Cudzoziemiec

Lunch suggestion this Wedneday on a Polish news site:
500g ground pork
1 small stale bun
1 glass of milk
1 onion
1 egg
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 spoon marjoram
1/3 glass of wheat flour
(The recipe continues with instructions for a dill sauce)

Caused quite a stir. Not for any culinary reason but because it was Ash Wednesday...

Presumably because it's suggesting meat on a fasting day?

Cudzoziemiec

Yes.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
This evening I made a batch of Welsh cakes. Phyllis was very pleased, as was Jan. I shall take half a dozen to my pal Penny in the morning.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
MrsT made herself banana pancakes for breakfast - mashed banana, egg and a small amount of flour.  Bloody good.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

I decided to make a sort of stir-fry-roast thing of cauliflower and mushrooms yesterday, because they were sitting in the fridge. Decided mustard seeds would liven it up, so put those in (first) – just pour some out of the jar and, oops! That's half the jar! Well, I rather liked it anyway, but I'll have to get some more mustard seeds now.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
The Sainsbury's online website seems not to know its onions; the picture illustrating Eschalion shallots looks rather like showing sweet potatoes to me.

Why oh why are the (fresh) Bramley cooking apples marked as 'Frozen'?

The Sainsbury's online website seems not to know its onions<snip>
There are gremlins everywhere. Our local Morrison's self-service checkout refused to recognise the wine-bottle bag we were trying to buy.
The assistant came over and said that the computer had been doing that all morning and that she would give us the bag. So that's £1 we've saved.
(I mean, it's not like we haven't got any reusable bottle bags at home, and we did know we were going to be buying wine  :facepalm:)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I really wish I didn't get the pictures; they're too small to be clear but still hugely reduce the number of items I can see on my screen.
They also occupy bandwidth for no purpose.
Showing the wrong item compounds the wastefulness.

Quite. MrsC gets our Tesco shop delivered. I get to choose my beers. The pictures don't help. The ABV would be more useful. I wouldn't normally go for a 5.6% even at the weekend.

Anyone here a devotee of eddo? I am in two minds, having stumbled across them (don't ask), and open to persuasion one way or the other.