Author Topic: POI files - where can I get them  (Read 5544 times)

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
POI files - where can I get them
« on: 28 August, 2013, 08:42:06 pm »
Hi,

I have an old rail poi and a travel lodge poi. Is there a database where I can download the current files?

I really want Travel Lodge, Train station and JD Wetherspoon for starters  ;D

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Euan Uzami

Re: POI files - where can I get them
« Reply #1 on: 28 August, 2013, 08:55:06 pm »
Interesting ... could write something to mine it from the travelodge website. They're all listed at http://www.travelodge.co.uk/search_and_book/list.php
and the html from each link contains the lat lng of the hotel in the page, would be easy to parse out... you'd have to basically visit each link, grab the lat lng out of the page, add it to the gpx, and repeat till done.

I want one for all towns in the UK as waypoints, so while bored at work I basically got the list from wikipedia and write a thing to mine it from there, haven't run it yet though. Will set it going tonight actually, might take a couple of hours as I will have to put a delay in so they don't think i'm executing a DoS. The eTrex 30 waypoint limit is 2,000 and there's about 1,200 or 1,500 towns in total iirc so will fit nicely leaving plenty left over. I'll post it here when it's done. Not sure how many travelodges there are, probably less than that but whether you could fit all travelodges, all weatherspoons AND all towns inside 2,000 I don't know...

« Reply #2 on: 28 August, 2013, 10:23:25 pm »
Can you make me an OK Diner file?

/anything for milkshake

Euan Uzami

« Reply #3 on: 28 August, 2013, 10:43:23 pm »
Can you make me an OK Diner file?

/anything for milkshake
* checks* oh yeah I can do that manually, there's only 8!

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #4 on: 29 August, 2013, 07:09:50 am »
I found this a while ago (years) and wanted to update the POIs I used for rail stations and travel lodges. You can download it from http://garminpoi.co.uk/?page=download

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Plodder

• More of a lurker than a poster!
« Reply #5 on: 29 August, 2013, 10:34:23 am »
POI files provided by Travelodge are downloadable here: http://www.travelodge.co.uk/pre_stay_checklist/directions.php.

And JD Wetherspoon's POI file can be found here: http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/pubs.
The Portsmouth Wednesday Night Pub Ride Group - "a drinking club with a cycling problem".

« Reply #6 on: 29 August, 2013, 11:48:04 am »
Or PGPS has a number of POI files for all sorts of formats.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=67089
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #7 on: 29 August, 2013, 12:13:48 pm »

« Reply #9 on: 29 August, 2013, 03:07:32 pm »
Download the POI file for your SatNav using someone elses computer.
Then it will be them who receive the junk mail.

Anyway?? What kind of a pisshead has all Wetherspoons pubs on their SatNav???

« Reply #10 on: 29 August, 2013, 03:12:20 pm »
Alcohol.

An elixir which improves the attractiveness of females.
It is not applied dermatologically on the girl. It is drunk in quantity by the man.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #12 on: 29 August, 2013, 11:23:11 pm »
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55634526/OKDiner.gpx

Now to Tasker for proximity alerts, and auto-re-routing if within 50k...

Thanks Ben :thumbsup:

rr

« Reply #13 on: 30 August, 2013, 12:46:19 am »

One who doesn't have their pubfinder app on their phone?

« Reply #14 on: 31 August, 2013, 09:58:09 pm »
A cheapskate pisshead.
Others have the Good Beer Guide on their satnav

« Reply #15 on: 16 September, 2013, 01:06:08 pm »
ere, not more Wspoons snobbery - was on a London ride recently and a chap told me how a Wspoons had been a godsend on a tour he'd been on with some folks. We agreed that that particular one (Yorkshire way) was somewhat bland as a building (so many of them are) but that it was good.

I have the Wspoons POI thingie on my Etrex 20 - only bad thing about it is that it flashes an "alert" if I unwittingly stray within a certain distance of one :(

And one is very near where I live.

Any practical hints on how to stop it doing this would be appreciated.

« Reply #16 on: 16 September, 2013, 11:53:58 pm »
ere, not more Wspoons snobbery - was on a London ride recently and a chap told me how a Wspoons had been a godsend on a tour he'd been on with some folks. We agreed that that particular one (Yorkshire way) was somewhat bland as a building (so many of them are) but that it was good.

I have the Wspoons POI thingie on my Etrex 20 - only bad thing about it is that it flashes an "alert" if I unwittingly stray within a certain distance of one :(

Move house! Or, go to 'Proximity Alarms' near the bottom of the main 'page' ;D

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #17 on: 17 September, 2013, 08:23:54 am »
I'll post it here when it's done. Not sure how many travelodges there are, probably less than that but whether you could fit all travelodges, all weatherspoons AND all towns inside 2,000 I don't know...

Waypoints are one thing and POIs another. 
You might well want all towns as waypoints, but other 'points of interest' such as pubs are best stored as POIs which are independent of waypoint memory.  Multiple POI databases can be combined into a single file for the GPS (but still accessible separately in the GPS menus) using PoiEdit.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #18 on: 17 September, 2013, 08:41:33 am »

Move house! Or, go to 'Proximity Alarms' near the bottom of the main 'page' ;D
Move house!

:)

Or, go to 'Proximity Alarms' near the bottom of the main 'page' ;D

Haven't got the Etrex 20 beast in front of me but won't that just adjust proximity alarms globally?

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #19 on: 02 November, 2013, 08:28:05 pm »
I have gone to the new Travel Lodge website and cannot find the latest POI file to download. There has been some opening and closures recently and I want to keep up to date. The one that appears in the lists and has closed is the Monmouth. I was planning a route into Wales and could not find it on the website, but was still in my POI file and the latest ones people have.

BB